Creeks around Hamilton for suckers

bassman87

They could say you were trying to target them.... If you were using baits that are generally attributed to Steelies... So no roe bags, skien, pink worms etc etc etc..

A simple float and worm does NOT mean you are targeting Trout

G

They could say you were trying to target them.... If you were using baits that are generally attributed to Steelies... So no roe bags, skien, pink worms etc etc etc..

A simple float and worm does NOT mean you are targeting Trout

G

Twenty Mile Creek up around Jordan might be a good bet, bit of a drive. Same thing though, probably bows in there now and people would be suspicious.

ur referring to spencer creek. yes has suckers, not a sanctuary as far as i know, but again, check the regs. there are resident trout that stay in that creek year round.

as for a float rod, just dont use roe and u'll be fine. ive never seen a CO around hamilton and the cops rarely even look at fishermen. pink worms will be fine, u can tell them ur targeting suckers. however, i would use a natural colored worm as well, they can work really well too. i hate using live bait, its a pain in the butt.

even in the odd offball chance a CO or cop did fine u for fishing for trout, they have to prove it in court when i fight it. and they cant prove it, so they would dismiss the charge. keep a camera, and snap a couple pics of the suckers u catch for proof.

i think a lot of times a CO will observe you for a while before he approaches you...i've experienced that a few times...if you catch a steelie or resident trout and then stay there and keep fishing you're gonna have a hard time arguing you're targeting suckers

i would say go out and fish for your suckers, make sure you don't have steelie specific gear on your line or in your vest...and should be fine...most CO's i've met are reasonable people...

Trout and salmon are open all year round below cootes dr(hwy 102)pg 80 in the regs.Make sure you are down stream of the bridge.Ive been hassled before when my car was parked on the oposite side.As for cos in the area.Their around, I see them more around the grindstone creek area than spencers creek.

I have never gone sucker fishing, but have seen guys talk about it over the years. Are they like the big sucker minnows(5-6"'s) you use for Pike or are they something else and if so how big do they get? You keep them for bait? Thanks.

Dirk

Thanks for all the input guys. Started at Caledonia this morning, no bites. A few guys there no one catching anything. Went to Red Hill creek to see what was happening, water was pretty clear. No fish to be seen or heard of. Decided to go to Fourty Creek in Grimsby and managed to catch two suckers. It was a fun day of exploring and a well-spent day off though. Thanks again fellas.

Diggyj, I only fish them for fun. I know guys do keep them for cutbait for them big grand cats though. Also heard that of peoploe pickling them and eating them. Doesn't sound too apetizing to me, but neither does raw salmon and that stuff is yums.

I have never gone sucker fishing, but have seen guys talk about it over the years. Are they like the big sucker minnows(5-6"'s) you use for Pike or are they something else and if so how big do they get?

Dirk

Usually from 14 to 28" depends on the locations.

Edited by fishing