Harmonized tax non-resident fishing trip rebate

seanik

I have booked a fishing trip in Ontario (Northern Expeditions out of Hornepayne) and I understand there is a 13% harmonized tax.

Non-residents are granted a 6 1/2 % rebate on the tax. Is it a hassle for the outfitter to give this rebate at the time of final payment or do forms have to be sent in to the government It would sure be a nice service to clients if an instant rebate can be given.

Seanik

I have booked a fishing trip in Ontario (Northern Expeditions out of Hornepayne) and I understand there is a 13% harmonized tax.

Non-residents are granted a 6 1/2 % rebate on the tax. Is it a hassle for the outfitter to give this rebate at the time of final payment or do forms have to be sent in to the government It would sure be a nice service to clients if an instant rebate can be given.

Seanik

My guess is there are forms to fill out like there were with the GST rebates for visitors.

Don't expect the outfitter to do the governments work. ;)

My guess is there are forms to fill out like there were with the GST rebates for visitors.

Don't expect the outfitter to do the governments work. ;)

The outfitter is doing the governments work when they collect the tax with your payment, some outfitters are offering an instant 6 1/2 rebate.

Seanik

God I love the HST....LOL :rolleyes:

I'd guess "most" outfitters will not grant the rebate upfront....its a hassel for them to do the paper work.

This whole thing is a bit silly anyway?

Why give a Non-resident rebate anyway...

Nothing like taxing the crap out of our own citizens and granting breaks for visitors to get you re-elected eh?

Smart politics right there.... :rolleyes:

In the past with a the GST you had two ways of recouping your money....stopping at the duty free store on the Canadian side and doing the paper work right there and then standing in line (sometimes long) and you would get your money right then and there...Or what I would do mostly is fill out the paper work (some businesses would give you the proper paper work to take with you) and just mailing it in and in about 2 months you got a check from the Canadian government that was already adjusted to US dollars when you cashed it in at your bank....then for a few years they did away with the GST rebate and then brought it back on a limited basis......

So is this new HST rebate program a permanent rebate program or just a limited one while the economy sucks.......

BTW the reason the Canadian government gives back some of the tax money to non-residents is we don't fully get the benefits that Canadian citizens get, like your government run health care program AND it makes it a little more attractive to visit Canada that charges a LOT more for the same thing in the USA.

OK, I just went through as much as possible the link provided by ketchenany and going from link to link all I see is that the rebate program for visitors is CANCELLED as of 2008........anyone have any more info that this rebate program is really still ongoing.....here's the link I'm referring to and you can go around and around but I see no rebate program now in effect...

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst...s/menu-eng.html

And now for those who asked why rebates for non-citizens and not for Canadian Citizens....well there looks like a LOT of rebates available for them as well....see here..

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst...nwhsng-eng.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst...b/menu-eng.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst...prtnrs-eng.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst...l/menu-eng.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst...ntlrbt-eng.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst...r/menu-eng.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst...s/mply-eng.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst...s/menu-eng.html

and there are more..........

BTW the reason the Canadian government gives back some of the tax money to non-residents is we don't fully get the benefits that Canadian citizens get, like your government run health care program AND it makes it a little more attractive to visit Canada that charges a LOT more for the same thing in the USA.

Sure...I suppose thats one way to look at it, but personally I prefer the "when in Rome" approach.

When you have a product people want(like our outfitters, and wilderness)....People will pay for it.

No point in making it more difficult for anyone IMO regardless of where you come from.

I'm just not a fan of anything to do with the HST at all.

And dicsounting it for Toursits in a round about way points out how impactfull it really is.

Funny that the Government thinks it's low impact to the Ontario citizens, and thinks its great for Business, but then thinks it should be discounted for visitors because it comes across as a cash grab.

Funny how that works eh?

Sure...I suppose thats one way to look at it, but personally I prefer the "when in Rome" approach.

When you have a product people want(like our outfitters, and wilderness)....People will pay for it.

No point in making it more difficult for anyone IMO regardless of where you come from.

I'm just not a fan of anything to do with the HST at all.

And dicsounting it for Toursits in a round about way points out how impactfull it really is.

Funny that the Government thinks it's low impact to the Ontario citizens, and thinks its great for Business, but then thinks it should be discounted for visitors because it comes across as a cash grab.

Funny how that works eh?

Well, I really think we do pay for the Canadian product but you want me to pay for something I'm not entitled to...like your health care, etc....

BUT anyways where are the rebates that this thread is about....I must be missing them somewhere as I really can't find the GST or PST or HST or any other ST tax rebate program....seriously.

Bob

Well, I really think we do pay for the Canadian product but you want me to pay for something I'm not entitled to...like your health care, etc....

BUT anyways where are the rebates that this thread is about....I must be missing them somewhere as I really can't find the GST or PST or HST or any other ST tax rebate program....seriously.

Bob

I must have missed something then because in all my years of spending too much money in the States no one ever told me how I get a rebate on the taxes I pay on that spending (for the services I can't collect on either). Where do I submit my rebate claims?

JF

most lodges will offer instant rebate, every lodge that I am aware in fact....

if your destination resort charges you the full amount then you'd need to fill out paper work for a rebate....I don't see why any outfitter would charge full amount, it's barely any extra work on our end and it is viewed as a convenience to the client....

These links will tell you everything you need to know...these programs are no longer in effect...

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/notice221/notice221-e.pdf

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/notice221/README.html

"I must have missed something then because in all my years of spending too much money in the States no one ever told me how I get a rebate on the taxes I pay on that spending (for the services I can't collect on either). Where do I submit my rebate claims?"

JF

I was wondering the exact same thing. I go to the states alot and have never been made aware of my ability to have some of my taxes returned. If anyone has real info on this please do tell.

Edited by tightline

The mandated rules of the GST.. and now HST are.. if the service is provided IN the province the tax has to be charged. Doesn't matter whom you are, or where you're from.... unless you pull out a status card. If we ship outside the country, then we dont' have to charge the tax. I am not aware of a legal way of not charging the tax just because your guests are from outside Ontario or Canada. It's up to the traveller to claim it back on their way out of the country. Same deal when you visit the UK.. you can claim the tax back at the airport if you so choose.

If some lodges are offering instant 1/2 back... it's a gimmic/ drawing card to get you there as far as I am concerned/know.

Edited by irishfield

I must have missed something then because in all my years of spending too much money in the States no one ever told me how I get a rebate on the taxes I pay on that spending (for the services I can't collect on either). Where do I submit my rebate claims?

JF

You could consider it a INSTANT rebate when you come here and isn't the BEST kind where NO paper work is involved.......got your attention but somewhat true........most items here cost much less here then in Canada and our sales tax rates is MUCH lower than all your GST, HST, PST or whatever.....isn't that the reason you come here to purchase the items in the first place is because it cost much less.....

I know you wouldn't come all the way over here if it were to cost you more. Just gasoline alone is a big savings......I live near the Sam's Club in Cheektowaga and have to visit there often for my own shopping but also for the fire department and the parking lot is packed with Canadian licensed cars, plus I notice they like to fill up with gasoline before heading back home....this is good, no ?

Bob

You could consider it a INSTANT rebate when you come here and isn't the BEST kind where NO paper work is involved.......got your attention but somewhat true........most items here cost much less here then in Canada and our sales tax rates is MUCH lower than all your GST, HST, PST or whatever.....isn't that the reason you come here to purchase the items in the first place is because it cost much less.....

I know you wouldn't come all the way over here if it were to cost you more. Just gasoline alone is a big savings......I live near the Sam's Club in Cheektowaga and have to visit there often for my own shopping but also for the fire department and the parking lot is packed with Canadian licensed cars, plus I notice they like to fill up with gasoline before heading back home....this is good, no ?

Bob

For years that was a fallacy because of the disparity in currency values. At the moment with the Canuck dollar catching up (should hit parity soon) there are some pretty good deals on small stuff like sale clothing and fishing reels. New cars and some appliances are pretty good but between warranty hassles and cross border regs it just isn't worth the trouble. Frankly most of the money I spend is on accommodations, food and gas. When our kids were little it was Disney World and Busch gardens and there were no bargains to be had there.

In any event the point of the rebate is as a tourist incentive, not out of any sense of fairness. It's govt we're talking about after all. Particularly now with your devalued dollar it's harder to attract American tourists up here. Y'all prefer paying 60 cents on the dollar fer yer fun. :P

JF

Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)

The British Columbia Provincial Government has chosen to implement a Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) to replace the Goods and Services tax (GST). This will take effect July 1, 2010 for all bookings starting on or after that date. This 12 % tax will be eligible for the 50% foreign visitor rebate as the GST was in the past. ********* Lodge will continue its practice of rebating the tax on our end so your actual tax rate will be 6% for all packages from July 1 up from the previous tax rate of 2.5%.

******** Lodge has been in contact with the Government for a ruling on the implementation of the tax. Our understanding is that anyone choosing to pay in full prior to May 1, 2010 for a package starting on or after July 1 will be taxed at the old rate of 2.5%. We encourage everyone to take advantage of this opportunity but we will need to know by no later than March 22 to allow for invoicing and payment prior to May 1.

this is pretty much the industry standard.....as said before, it's barely any extra work to offer an instant rebate to the guest...and YES, it certainly is our way of providing a perceived value and service to our guests, why wouldn't we, we're in business to make money, anything it takes to get the guest here...

certainly far from a "gimmick"....but if you enjoy processing paperwork and waitings weeks/months to get your rebate the hard way...then go for it...

Edited by bare foot wader

I know you wouldn't come all the way over here if it were to cost you more

Actually

When our kids were little it was Disney World and Busch gardens and there were no bargains to be had there.

I was gonna say the same kind of thing thing. :)

Sure booze, smokes, and conveneince items are cheaper...that margin is becomeing thinner by the day though.

But if its hot sunny beaches, disney word, or most destinations its just as expensive or more for me to come down south.

Then again even those prices can varry greatly from region to region I suppose?

All I know is I pay your taxes when I'm there...And I think you should pay mine when your here.

Heck I think you have to pay $20 in taxes just leave Cuba Ha!

All I know is if a Tax in any country is its high enough that it chases tourism away perhaps that Government should rethink their position.

Tomatoes vs tomato's I suppose....kinda mute any way LOL...

They won't change it, and you won't pay it, and I just sound like a blow hard I guess LOL...

But more then that, I just find it reeeely hypocritical of the Government to preach about what a low impact Tax the HST is, and how its great for business, and revenue neutral etc....

Yet its a big enough they feel its nessasary to give tourists a rebate....that should tell us all "something"

They can't have it both ways...its either impactful, or it ain't

Then again I guess they are the government....they CAN have it both ways apparently

Booo! :P

Edited by Cookslav