boat buying question

Handlebarz

This is not for me but a friend who is looking for a boat for his family to get out on Gbay he has never had a boat before and just wants something to do a little fishing with and take the wife and 3 kids from island to island on the weekends. He asked me what I thought about this boat I dont know much about the Cheetah boats but told he I should be able to find out more then he would ever need about these boats. Would this be a good deal for him?

Thanks Mike

$3500 firm I guess

1985 cheetah Bow rider. has a 1990 90HP yamaha outboard comes with a newer trailor bildge pump storage cover(canadiantire) NOT a BIMI top. has some safety equipment . just had the steering cables starter throttle cables etc replaced. newer floor put in. has a stereo. also comes with a fishfinder. great boat for fishing tubing just relaxing in the sun.. the seats fold down flat to lay down on. email for more info.. the boat is a 16.5' approx the prop has some dings in it but still runs perfect. thats why never bothered to replace. great deal motor and trailor alone is worth close to asking price

8280fh4_19.jpeg

1432j2k_19.jpeg

If I was going out on Georgian Bay with my family of 4, the boat pictured here, would not be my choice. The big water, with it's history of fast approaching storms, and coupled with a lack of experience in boating, is a dangerous place to be.

18' would be my minimum.

Think of the possibilities.

(Most of them bad)

I have spent a lot of time fishing on Gbay and that would not be my choice either, too small and too open for a family. It might be OK for an experienced boater and one or two passangers.

The bow design looks OK and the power ratio sounds good, the package looks like it has been well taken care of and the price sounds reasonable, actually quite good but it just isn't the right package for a family and an operator with limited experience and the Bay.

You can boat GBay in a 12 foot tinny.. you just have to pick the days, and the time of day! Then again, I've had days that our 26 foot Searay, full cabin, wasn't enough boat and put waves over the windshield!! (and that was between Methodist and Snake Islands!!!) There are days, like one in November when I had Glen out with me that I questioned if my 22 foot Lund was enough boat... just running from Penetang Harbour to Governors Island across the gap by Giants Tomb when we had waves rolling over the left gunnel.

Need more info Mike. Do they plan to use this boat on the open lake... or up the back channel through Honey Harbour?

Edited by irishfield

If they stay up the Eastern side of Beausoliel Island in the back channels and bays they will be fine. The open water is a different story. It can be downright scary if the wind picks up. It all depends where they plan on boating to and from. If they are on the leeward side of the prevailing winds (westerly)they should be ok. We need some more info. I boat on GBay and know the waters fairly well so more info would be great and maybe we can help some more. BTW, that boat looks decent.

I cheetah all the time. Sorry to Ben Johnson, but i had to.

Gbay can get hairy but sometimes a new boater with common sense and a little extra fear can make better decisions than some over confident people with some more experience.

All depends on the person. Nothing beats experience, but you have to get it somehow. I am sure this gentleman will get to know the water pretty good and turn out fine.

Boating is easy, even I can do it. :-)

I guess one of the main things I wanted to know does anyone know much about these boats?

What should he look for as signs to stay away from getting the boat As Randy is smart enough to not put his family in danger he had asked me what I knew of them I had never heard of them so came here to ask for the help on buying the boat.

Thanks for the other advice as it may help some who never been to Gbay (me included) make the right choice for heading out there.

Cheers Mike

All G'Bay and Seamanship aside...

If that boat floats and is dry---trailer near new---motor starts and runs good---What's the question for 3500 bucks??

I would'nt kick the stones too long with spring comin---it'll have a new owner---just check those things---even if he does'nt move much on that price it sounds good---maybe get a mechanic to check that engine?

One big prob though-----not a tiller---so won't be able to catch anything though---oh well world needs tubers as well :P

Bushart

For the trailer, maybe replace the tires and bearings if they need it, wiring, make sure the lights all work. For the motor, get the prop rebuilt, even though it's only little dings, balance is important, it only takes a little longer for a dinged prop to screw up the lower unit, do the oil and impeller. For the boat, it looks alright, maybe just some minor shining up.

As the ad states, "newer floor put it" sounds like a few years ago. The transom is probably wet.

Transom is a major job on that boat.

Your friend should pay close attention to that.

If it's just wet and not rotton, it's worth the $3500.

If it's rotton, it's worth the price of a used 90 Yamaha minus what it will cost to dispose of the boat.