Can you identify this hawk?

jediangler

I know we have a great number of bird lovers in this community. My friend took this photo outside her front window on Saturday after this hawk chased away the sparrows living in the yard. Her sons are 5 & 7 and wanted to know what kind of hawk it was. It was the same size as a crow. I am not that knowledgable in bird species so I'm reaching out to all OFC'ers for the answer.

119225.jpg

Thanks for any help :)

It's a Cooper's. Cooper's and Sharp Shinned are pretty much Identical except size. this looks a little smaller than crow size so you would think Sharp Shinned, but the eye is not yellow yet ( maturity) so that would suggest it is a maturing Cooper's.

Long Tail short wings for attacking birds in flight in the woods. they can do some pretty decent manovres around the bird feeder.

I researched this last year. I agree it's a coopers rather than a sharp shin. The shinny is about the size of a large blue jay and the coopers is about the size of o young crow. The coopers are often found with broken bones as they dive bomb and crash through branches to catch sparrows etc. When they eat my neighbours pigeons they leave nothing but feet and the seed in the pigeons stomache.

The one in your picture looks like it is sitting on an umbrella tree. Around my neighbourhood that's where I see them doing the most bussiness. I think the little birds feel safer there.