4 Stroke Maintenance

krawler

I have a 2007 75 hp yamaha 4 stroke. I lost the Owners Manual. Not sure how many hours i have on this motor but i know its a lot!! I troll a lot and run around the lake often to get to my spots. Wondering what kind of maintenance i should do after ive used it for so many years and have x amount of hours? Can i do this myself or should it be serviced by a dealer? I change the oil 1-2 times/yr and change the lower unit oil just as much.

thanks

Wouldn't hurt I don't think to have the valve train measured and possibly tightened up? I don't really know either, I just read somewhere at some point in my "winter cabin fever wishing for soft water, crazy pointless research" that after a few years it doesn't hurt to have it looked at. :lol:

Ive done the spark plugs annually as well. I'll look into the valve train thing. anything else?

Spark plugs anually?

Why?

My 4 stroke sled has 10,000 miles on the original plugs.

Do they foul cause of trolling?

look and see if it has a timing belt, many 4 stroke outboards had them, after several years valve clearance measurment may be required, other than that change the oil's check your linkage adjustments, clean the carbs, chack and charge your batterys and verify charging system performance good to go fishing, may also want to change your water pump impeller

Edited by ecmilley

I have 2007 Mercury 60hp fourstroke EFI and I have it serviced by the dealer twice every year. You should definately change the lower end gear oil and as well give it fresh oil and filter up top. Dont forget that the dealer will know of any recalls that have occurred or manufacturer updates/alerts that need addressing. I take mine to the dealer for a freshen up around june and then before I wrap it for winter. It doesnt cost very much. I think I pay about $150.00 per service. They do a full tune up/ trailer servicing and etc at the same time.

I plan on owning my boat for a long, long time, so I think the maintenance is well worth the money.

Ab

No need for Stabil.. considering the hours Kris is putting on it. If you fish every weekend or two.. other than the last tank before storage, you're wasting your money on Stabilizer. Do you put it in your car every fill up tooooo ?? The only time it hits my tank... about mid October...never sure when the launch is going to be frozen in!

Edited by irishfield

No need for Stabil.. considering the hours Kris is putting on it. If you fish every weekend or two.. other than the last tank before storage, you're wasting your money on Stabilizer. Do you put it in your car every fill up tooooo ?? The only time it hits my tank... about mid October...never sure when the launch is going to be frozen in!

Mine hits the water 3 times a week...and some weekends too

Thanks for all the help. Ill be sure to check out all those things. Looking for a new local mechanic to help me out and not charge an arm and a leg. Looks like ive been doing all the right things but ill be sure to be more thorough before the season starts.

Thanks for all the help. Ill be sure to check out all those things. Looking for a new local mechanic to help me out and not charge an arm and a leg. Looks like ive been doing all the right things but ill be sure to be more thorough before the season starts.

Id recommend trying to tackle it yourself. Its really easy and save some cash and hassle bringing it to the dealer.

Do you go through a tank of gas in your boat in less than 2 weeks? If not, the ethanol is evaporating and the Octane rating is deminished...BAD for the engine Wayne...

UMMM in most cases YES ! .. all 320 litres of it Dax ! As for the ethanol.. there is none in the pump gas at our local marina.. and when I road fill I use premium from sources that draw direct from the premium, ethanol free, tank. Any doubts.. carry a peanut butter jar with an inch of water in it. Fill with fuel and if the "water" line rises.. it has ethanol in it !

Even if you are filling with Ethanol laced crap.. if you are using most of your tank and refilling with fresh gas you shouldn't be suffering any phase seperation. If I was even hesitant in what I'm telling you I sure would be a tad more worried about the customers I have that FLY with the crap in their tanks! :o

Comon now.........there has gotta be a difference between 89 octane you get from pioneer and the the stuff that fuels an airplane, if there isnt I think we have a major problem.

Like Dax said stabilizer all year round, ethanol is garbage sooner or later youll get bit, either falling out of the sky or ruining your dream musky trip. :o

Edited by F7Firecat

Comon now.........there has gotta be a difference between 89 octane you get from pioneer and the the stuff that fuels an airplane, if there isnt I think we have a major problem.

Why would we have a major problem? Aircraft engines for the large part have lower compression ratios than most auto engines! Also keep in mind that there are MANY aircraft running auto engine conversions and Bombardier Rotax engines that can't run on AV Gas (and many certified aircraft that are running on car gas by STC as well). They run on car gas, simple as that.... and generally bought at the gas station via Jerry can and hand fueled or farmers/strip owners with their own 200 to 500 gallon tanks. Ethanol plays havoc on rubber hoses, fuel tank sealers and such.. but if used at a quick enough rate and refreshed often enough the fuel itself is not the issue if it's used before phase seperation and stabil won't do anything for you but cost you money. Now if you let your fuel sit around for months at a time.... that's a whole different story.

Like I said.. do you put Stabil in your car/truck every time you fill it up???

Edited by irishfield

You know there's stabilizer for diesel too eh! :D

Firecat you stated that we'd have a major problem if there wasn't a difference between 89 octane from Pioneer and the stuff that fuels an airplane. Just stating fact as to what a huge percentage of the private aircraft fleet runs on in Canada and the USA (contrary to the popular belief of some highly explosive fluid from watching movies)... and no there is no difference nor a major problem. Nothing more.. nothing less and yes something I am well versed on since I work with aircraft EVERY day and you obviously do not, nor would you have questioned what I had stated.

Now the merits of studs on a sled track in various applications... that's a debate I'll leave for your expertise!