Liver Transplant

MooseMerch

My father had a kidney done a year ago, it was from a young 16yr old girl who died in a car accident, my father knows who she was but the family didnt want to meet my father, this was very hard for my father who wanted to thank the family, but on the other hand the family wanted to just leave things as it is, my father has since driven 600km to the cemetary to thank the girl himself, and still has never met her family altho he'd like to.

LOOK AT A LOVED ONE IN THE EYES AND TELL THEM IF YOU WANT TO DONATE OR NOT......DO IT NOW

Wish your father-law best wishes from us

As has been mentioned above, the family of the donor would have to consent. My brother had a double transplant with kidneys and Pancreas about twelve years ago. Nothing short of a miracle.

As BUSTER mentioned above, make sure your family knows your wishes if your interested in donating. I believe it's the most selfless thing you can do for another human being.

Speedy recovery wishes for your father-in-law

Cheers

Craig

Hope all goes well and a great recovery.

Here in PA, when you renew your driver's license, they ask if you want to be an organ donor. Those that do have it noted right on their driver's license. Big Green Letters right under your picture. So, if something would happen, it could be noticed right away. Patsy and I are both listed for organ donation.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Hope all goes well and a great recovery.

Here in PA, when you renew your driver's license, they ask if you want to be an organ donor. Those that do have it noted right on their driver's license. Big Green Letters right under your picture. So, if something would happen, it could be noticed right away. Patsy and I are both listed for organ donation.

Same here in Virginia Rich.They can have whatever is left over if I haven't worn it all out!

Joe

They should do that here as well Rich! Unfortunately they have to dig around in your wallet here... looking for a ragged old cardboard card.

They do, sort of..... although it is not on our drivers license, its printed on the back of my Health Card.... " DONOR * Z9 * DONNEUR".....

Burt :)

Years ago it used to be part of the Ontario drivers licence, when it was a two piece licence. It needs to be imbedded right into the card now. I agree, ask when you re-new your licence and imbed it right into the licence.

Cheers

Craig

They do, sort of..... although it is not on our drivers license, its printed on the back of my Health Card.... " DONOR * Z9 * DONNEUR".....

Burt :)

I should be on the drivers licence Burt! At least it gets renewed every 5 years. I still have my taped together OHIP card that I was issued over 25 years ago !

Edited by irishfield

I am pretty sure that through trillium who organizes transplants, that you are not able to meet the donor family, but you can write a thankyou card that they will pass on, I think they try to limit meet and greets to ensure that no funds are ever transferred

I should be on the drivers licence Burt! At least it gets renewed every 5 years. I still have my taped together OHIP card that I was issued over 25 years ago !

wayne, i had the same thing.. down here they pretty much force you into getting the new photo card.. threatening to charge you per visit..

mike

There is a bill being bantied about that reverses the onus...that is all of us would be organ donors unless we specify NOT to be.

Good idea in my books. Don't know if my organs are usable (results of cancer treatment) but they can have whatever I don't wreck!

I hope for a complete recovery. If you want to thank someone or somehow you can help fund any charity that you feel need help. Paying it forward is one of the best concepts that I support and encourage other to embrace.

Art

does some one who know the CORRECT answer?

if i die does my wife have the say as to whether or not my organs can be donated?

she says that unless i have a signed donor card, they cannot take any organs from me even if she tells them to.

Some reading here Dann..

http://organdonations.ca/help/organdonor/

but considering you can give the okay for a deceased childs organs to be donated...don't see why you couldn't do it with your spouse. The donor card in your wallet leaves no doubt though..available when you renew your licence... or at the link above as well.