Snowblower help

GBW

Hey all.

Sorry for the NF post but I know some of you here know a thing or two about engines so here goes. I recently purchased a new snowblower. I tested it after I got it and it ran fine. Recently we had enough snow for me to test it out. I had filled it with gas when I tested it so the tank was/is full and its ready go. I plug it in to use the electric start and it fires up, I get it out of the garage and it stalls. I have yet to get it running again. Yes the gas is in the ON position, the key is in it and I’ve followed every step there is to get it to run. Any idea what it could be? It’s a Poulan Pro PR827ES http://www.poulanpro.com/node6535.aspx?nid=211091 Does anyone know how I can drain the gas and put in fresh fuel? Thanks in advance.

Geoff

Are you waiting long enough before heading out or closely watching the choke lever? Mine took a bit to get used to when to alter the rich/lean lever.

Otherwise a bad fuel filter or pinched/leaking fuel line may do that. Make sure the fuel line clamps are in place.

Thanks for the quick posts guys.

I have tried the gas line anti-freeze.

When it was running, I was just about to back off on the choke but it just shut down.

This one is just like my lawnmower, straight gas. Is there no drain on the fuel tank?

Thanks for the quick posts guys.

I have tried the gas line anti-freeze.

When it was running, I was just about to back off on the choke but it just shut down.

This one is just like my lawnmower, straight gas. Is there no drain on the fuel tank?

You're in Brooklyn...you don't have any snow there..just wait for sunday, it will all melt anyway. :rolleyes:

You're in Brooklyn...you don't have any snow there..just wait for sunday, it will all melt anyway. :rolleyes:

It is all gone but I want this thing working again because I know with my luck we'll get a huge storm the night before I go away.

Not a 2 joke engine.."This 205 cc 2 stage snow thrower is powered by an unreliable Briggs and Stratton engine, hahahaha."

Like Rick said slowly turn the choke off before working it, takes a minute or so to warm up.

Thats what I was thinking made in China engine, I know this does not help you but I bought Toro this year and the sucker starts first pull every time, I wish I could say the same thing about my brand new Craftsman lawn mower with the B&S engine I am going to have a heart attack one day trying to get it started.

just change the spark plug first it probably fouled up (even new) before losing your mind.

it's usally the simplest things that cause these problems, if not the plug try draining the float bowl and check for gum/varnish.

once it's running again i would recommend that you use gasoline with NO ethanol like shell premium and a good stabilizer for the periods that it sits

once it's running again i would recommend that you use gasoline with NO ethanol like shell premium and a good stabilizer for the periods that it sits

Now could you tell us why anyone would want to use a high level octane in a relatively low compression engine, apart from the point that it may not have any ethanol in that grade fuel. What does octane do?

Un do the float bowl, put something under it to catch any gas that comes out and take a look at that, if there is dirt or water in it then you have found your problem. Drain the tank and line. If it is dirt then there could be dirt plugging your jet, a spray of carb cleaner and then compressed air should be enough to clear that.

If the fuel looks good, remove the spark plug, attach the high tension lead to it and ground it (touch the exterior metal part of the plug where the threads are to the cylinder) turn the engine over, if you have spark at the plug, then you know your ignition is good.

Or just make a side trip up here to Lindsay and I'll fix it for you probably while you wait. OFC special, you just pay for the parts.

Now could you tell us why anyone would want to use a high level octane in a relatively low compression engine, apart from the point that it may not have any ethanol in that grade fuel. What does octane do?

no problem- while it may seem like a waste of money for a low compression engine, the ethanol blended fuels attract water and promote corossion of the fuel system compoments due to becoming acidic over time when used condstantly they don't seem to cause much of a problem, but when equipment sits for long periods it causes issues. the slightly extra money is worth it

Way to complex an issue, and it really depends what an engine is desigined to use. There are many factors that come into play in deciding what octaine fuel should be used in an engine and EPA regulations play a very big factor in it.

If the manufacturer dictates a specific fuel then use that fuel. Cross scavenging engines will require one grade, stratified engines could specify another grade, believe me, there is a reason! Using the wrong grade could cause an engine to run too hot or too cold, affect emmissions, (among other things) and in the long term damage the engine. It isn't nearly as simple as: compression, ignition, fuel. Even if they are the critical components.

Believe me a lot of money has been spent determining what fuel should be used for a specific engine design and if the engineers have dictated that this engine should be used with this grade of fuel, there is a reason!

no problem- while it may seem like a waste of money for a low compression engine, the ethanol blended fuels attract water and promote corossion of the fuel system compoments due to becoming acidic over time when used condstantly they don't seem to cause much of a problem, but when equipment sits for long periods it causes issues. the slightly extra money is worth it

NO, no, no, don't try to skip the premium octane part of my question, I saw what Big Cliff wrote, you come up with an answer why you should use premium octane gas in a low compression engine. I'm aware of what ethanol does and how to aleviate that problem.

NO, no, no, don't try to skip the premium octane part of my question, I saw what Big Cliff wrote, you come up with an answer why you should use premium octane gas in a low compression engine. I'm aware of what ethanol does and how to aleviate that problem.

what do you want for an answer? if 87 octane was available without ethanal then i would use that in siitting equipent as for what other think that is fine but there is usually not a problem going up in octane.

what do you want for an answer? if 87 octane was available without ethanal then i would use that in siitting equipent as for what other think that is fine but there is usually not a problem going up in octane.

Octane is used to prevent detonation in high compression motors(it causes it to burn slower), and, when used in lower compression motors does the same, over time, causes fouling and carbon build up. I've seen a few where the carbon build up on the piston crown started to ignite, glow like charcoal, then you have further problems. That's why you shouldn't run high octane where it's not needed. Get the newer ethanol formulated stabil instead.

Regular gasoline has 10 percent ethanol in it now, it is pretty much standard. ANYTHING that will be left sitting for more than a month with fuel in it should have some stabilizer added to it to prevent phase separation. Once that happens, the fuel is garbage. Canadian Tire has the big jug of Stabil Marine formula on for $18 and change this week. Grab some and use it. I do.

If it's brand new take it back to where you bought and tell them to fix it.

I would Rob but the bill states "Jan 9/10" is the last date they do an exchange. My wife got this one for me at HD while I was looking at the JDeere stuff from a dealer. If I can't get it going this weekend with a new plug then I'll call them. Then, it's off to Big Cliff if they try anything funny... :P

I would Rob but the bill states "Jan 9/10" is the last date they do an exchange. My wife got this one for me at HD while I was looking at the JDeere stuff from a dealer. If I can't get it going this weekend with a new plug then I'll call them. Then, it's off to Big Cliff if they try anything funny... :P

No warranty?

JF