runners for a clam hut...

ch312

heading up to simcoe on friday to test out the new clam yukon tc. unfortunately the store where i bought it did not have any runner kits in and i sure dont want to run a brand new hut on the roads, gravel or even frozen slush.

any ideas what i can use that will last?

I used an old box liner from a pick up truck,cut it into strips then rivot it on the back with silicone on the rivots to keep the water out.I have some left over if you want it,its a little bit of work to do it but i think in a hour you would be all set.I'm in keswick if you are interested.

Worn out snowmobile sliders

They are u shaped so the bolt heads are sunk in and don't wear.

Call a few shops and ask if they have any old sliders.

I once got the ire of a salesman selling a 60 dollar kit to a guy when I mentioned that.

I have the Clam Voyageur. Most people I have seen, mount old down hill skis to the bottom of the tub. I have and it slides like butter. If you wear them out, you can easily replace them with another set. You can pick up old skis at yard sales and pawn shops for cheap.

Ab

look up Plastics or UMHW in the phone book or online and pick up some UHMW Polyethylene sheet in 1/2" thick and either have them cut it 1" wide or do it yourself on a table saw. Drill and counter sink for stainless bolts and attach it. Same as what you would be buying from clam, only less expensive. :D

look up Plastics or UMHW in the phone book or online and pick up some UHMW Polyethylene sheet in 1/2" thick and either have them cut it 1" wide or do it yourself on a table saw. Drill and counter sink for stainless bolts and attach it. Same as what you would be buying from clam, only less expensive. :D

That's what I will use the next time. If you look in the yellow pages for restaurant equipment they have the plastic that they use for cutting boards. You can have then cut to size. I replaced my 14' boats transom with a couple of pieces of that plastic and it'll last a lifetime.

buddy of mine actually had 4 used sliders that worked perfectly. just finished mounting them with some aluminum rivets. used 4 all together to make sure the entire floor was supported and curled the two outside ones up the front.

now lets hope they dont fall off :whistling:

Sliders is the way to go. I spend 50 bucks on a new pair about 4-5 years ago and i put a lot of kms on my voyageur. They look like they would last me another 10 seasons. To bad i cant say the same for the clam hut itself. They sure take a beating behind a sled!

snowmobile sliders are UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) we use it in chain conveyors as wear bars...steel wears too fast.

Even buying new sliders is cheaper than the price they want for what is sold as wear bars for clams