Waterproof Cameras.

scugpg

Hi all - I was wondering what you guys like for waterproof cameras.

I've been looking into the Olympus 550wp/560wp as well as their higher end cameras (Stylus tough series)

I've also considered the Fuji Z33 and the Canon powershot D10.

What have you guys used? Looking for some insight from folks who are out there in the waders/boats using them B)

i have the fuji z33, my gf got it for me for xmas after my camera broke and she seen dave mercer had one.. lol.

but i love the camera, works great had a ton of settings for any type of shooting condition. great picture quality. and its a nice price point.

I have the Olympus Stylus 790SW.

It's a great camera but not just a simple point and click.

It has numerous functions that need to be utilized in order to maximize your pictures.

Unfortunately I don't have the time or patience to learn them all so many of my shots are mediocre. :)

I have the fuji z33 and just love it, we took the kids to niagra falls indoor water park, took video going down the slides, pics, video of the kids swimming underwater...just awsome...used it last wk-end out on simcoe in the hut, no issues I had it sitting out in the cold on the tri-pod didnt effect it at all...used it at the metalica and guns and roses concert in-door video worked great ,bought an 8gig sd card and good to go...Great little camera, lots of options..

I got a Olympus Tough 6000.. Works great and many cool features to mess around with. They have an opiton for panoramic photos that works well too.

Its shockproof waterproof(up to 3 meters) and freezeproof.

so far i am real happy with it.

olympus.jpg

Edited by Shore_Lunch

I have an Olympus Stylus 300 that I purchased in 2003. I was so impressed with it I have just replaced it with a Stylus 1050SW.

Back in 2003 the Olympus stylus was the first digicam that claimed to be water resistant (not waterproof). Well on a couple of occasions it was tested for it's water resistant capabilities, once sliding down a class I whitewater chute and once when I flipped my one man cat. Solopaddler was there for that one. :rolleyes: After he helped me and my stuff to shore, I took the camera out of my pocket and took a picture. It worked perfectly. I figure if a camera that was not billed as waterproof worked that well, one that is billed as waterproof should be awesome!!

I picked it up from Olympus direct through their ebay store for $112. The best thing, shipping is only $4.95!!! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

I do not have a waterproof camera but I would like to buy one. I started to investigate at the time the Canon D10 came out. I have a D80 Canon which is not waterproof.

I checked on the Olympus, and I think that Pentax has one. Fuji I would never buy and so I know nothing about it.

My choice was going to be the D10. But the price at that time was $399,99 at Henry's. Future was more by 30 bucks and Vistek was the same as Henry's.

I decided to wait for a price drop. It is now $349.99 at Henry's and Vistek. The last time I looked, Future shop no longer sells it. But then Future does not sell other cameras that it used to sell.

Now I am in no rush - I will wait longer.

I have checked on reviews. Apparently the one camera that produces the best quality photos is the Canon D10. Perhaps Olympus when it goes to the next step of waterproof cameras, the results will be better than now. If the photo quality by Olympus were better, I would choose Olympus because I like the shape - it is more practical. You can put it into a pocket. With the D10, it is difficult to put a football shaped camera into a pocket.

This is all I have.

Good luck.

carp-starter

I'll be buying a waterproof point and shoot this month before going on vacation.

Here is a site I've been using to help me deside:

http://www.dpreview.com/

I'm leaning toward the powershot D10, but I wish it was smaller, since this will be my beach camera and all I wear is a speedo. :o

Anymore firsthand reviews?

I'll be buying a waterproof point and shoot this month before going on vacation.

I'm leaning toward the powershot D10, but I wish it was smaller, since this will be my beach camera and all I wear is a speedo. :o

we will take your word for it ....no proof is required... :blink: please please please dont post pics :lol:

Another option for some people might be a normal camera with a waterproof case..

I have a Canon SD780IS and will be picking up the waterproof case from Canon ($160).. Expensive for a case, but the pics that sucker will take under the water will be amazing!

Another option for some people might be a normal camera with a waterproof case..

I have a Canon SD780IS and will be picking up the waterproof case from Canon ($160).. Expensive for a case, but the pics that sucker will take under the water will be amazing!

The sony waterproof case is only (starting from 200$ too 800$) ... the actual camera cost less

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/IK621015.ht...e=18-53772966-2

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/IK603851.ht...e=18-53773015-2

I do not have a waterproof camera but I would like to buy one. I started to investigate at the time the Canon D10 came out. I have a D80 Canon which is not waterproof.

I checked on the Olympus, and I think that Pentax has one. Fuji I would never buy and so I know nothing about it.

My choice was going to be the D10. But the price at that time was $399,99 at Henry's. Future was more by 30 bucks and Vistek was the same as Henry's.

I decided to wait for a price drop. It is now $349.99 at Henry's and Vistek. The last time I looked, Future shop no longer sells it. But then Future does not sell other cameras that it used to sell.

Now I am in no rush - I will wait longer.

I have checked on reviews. Apparently the one camera that produces the best quality photos is the Canon D10. Perhaps Olympus when it goes to the next step of waterproof cameras, the results will be better than now. If the photo quality by Olympus were better, I would choose Olympus because I like the shape - it is more practical. You can put it into a pocket. With the D10, it is difficult to put a football shaped camera into a pocket.

This is all I have.

Good luck.

carp-starter

That's a very good point about the D10's size. Wearing waders etc it'd be nice to slip in in the chest pocket. This is where the Z33 or Olympus has the advantage.

Mostly Digital here in London has the D10 around $325...I'm going to check the Olympus and Canon out today to see if the D10 would be manageable to carry. My guess if I dug around you could find the D10 under $300.

I'm not a huge photo buff, just want something that will work, give good photos and I don't mind the additional features.

Given I'm still rocking a Canon A510 3.2MP anything will be a huge upgrade :P The fact that the new cameras have much better video is exciting to me as well.

Check this out:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterp...roup/page17.asp

Edited by scugog