is it legal to transport bait??

skeeter

I buy minnows either in town or 10mins out of town and if there are minnows left at the end of the day I can save them and use them elsewhere. This is common knowledge to me however, the main thing is to never release live bait. Regardless of how close the store is to your favorite body of water do not release the bait.

It's a pretty confusing subject.

According to the MNR bait dealers are not allowed to buy southern minnows and transport them to Northern Ontario (i.e. outside the VHS management zone).

However they made no law prohibiting individual anglers from transporting minnows anywhere across the province.

Kind of a weak approach to the problem in my opinion.

If you use minnows infected with VHS (whether you release them alive or dead) seems to me there is a good chance you are going to help spread the problem.

Come on guys. We all know there are invasive species problems. Why bellyache about transporting a bit of bait, be it minnows or worms. Use what is in the area you are fishing just to be on the safe side. Does there have to be a law for you to use your head?

im not bellyacheing the worms are marked product of canada you export them into the states but i can't bring them back in thats bit one way on the morning of a fly-in trip were do i get 500 worms

I can't bring Fla or Cali oranges back into the States either. There must be some kinda logic in laws like that.

JF

The reasons for the worms and the oranges are the same. Parasites, moulds and the like that are native to one area, and whose plants and animals have adapted to them, could be deadly in another area. The things you transport can carry those.

I know we can buy Florida oranges here, but they have to go through a process to be shipped over.

You can actually bring worms into Canada but you may not bring in any soil. That means taking them all out of the soil, washing them and putting them into commercial bedding. Not really worth the effort.

im not bellyacheing the worms are marked product of canada you export them into the states but i can't bring them back in thats bit one way on the morning of a fly-in trip were do i get 500 worms

So don't mention to the customs agent that you have bait in the truck?

I can't bring Fla or Cali oranges back into the States either. There must be some kinda logic in laws like that.

JF

Who knows what attached itself to this stuff in the new country. You want to bring it back across a border without being re-inspected.

Maybe if you tell the flyin operator that you need 500 worms he can get them for you.

A very unfortunate answer..........but YES. Not that a law is even abided by by the folks who need the law in the first place.

With all the invasive species troubles why do people have to argue a law like that.

With all the invasive species troubles why do people have to argue a law like that.

The same reason people violate possession laws even though they are there to protect the fish: an overblown sense of entitlement. In my line of work I see it every day and it gets worse every year.

The problem with the worms, or any other item exported across the border is easy to explain.

Any meat, plants, live goods, are supposed to be inspected prior to crossing the border. I certify, as a crop inspector, that the goods are, to the best of my knowledge, free of pests or disease. Government agencies occasionaly spotcheck such shipments to "ensure" compliance. If my shipment is rejected by a customer, I cannot simply bring it back. I need to have it reinspected. There is no way for me, or the border services, to know that the load has not been contaminated or cross-infected in its travels. It is cheaper for me to send the load to a landfill.

In the United States it even gets more complex with state regulated rules of export, import, quarantine laws and border disputes. California is like an armed camp when it comes to live goods. Florida requires all trucks and campers enter there inspection stations as they search for contraband food. If you caught a L Erie walleye in Pa it is illegal to bring it across the state line into NY, unless they have lifted the VHS export ban issued a few years back.

Im confused as to your side? Are you saying you agree with having a law for transporting or disagree? "Why do they have to argue a law like that"? Argue for? or argue against? Im confused

here is why im asking this question.

if the answer was yes it is illegal then that would be the end of it.

if the answer was no it is not illegal then it opens up some more questions..

like going to a local bait shop here and asking them where they get there minnows from.

the first bait shop i went to didnt understand the question cause his english was no good---3 times asking then i left........

the 2nd bait shop said there minnows come from simcoe and showed me the invoice from his supplier.

and NO i didnt tell them where i wanted to use them.....

now i know where i can get SIMCOE MINNOWS from, should i decide to buy some...

but since no one has come up with the proper answer, i have called the ministry to get the proper answer....

i would hope that anyone else that wants minnows would ask where they are from before they buy..

and i also hope that this clears the air as to why i asked...

thanks for the replies.

dann

Edited by skeeter

I wasn't going at you. I was going at the bringing it across the border deal, and then the just don't tell customs you have it when you know darn well its illegal got to me.

With all the watch your limit, limit your catch, poachers should be strung up that goes on here, I thought I would take a crack at the bait smugglers...way more harm that taking an extra fish or two...or having an extra line