Musky/Pike rod

asdve23rveavwa

the 8'6" pete maina rod is practically identical to my st croix slingblade but 1/3 the price. I own both. Buy a Maina 8'6" if you can find it!

the new rapala rods are way too short and behind the times. Most serious musky guys use 7'6" and longer nowadays. The 7'6" Rapala may be okay. I own an R-type bass baitcast rod and it is very nice for the dollars!!! (100$). This is an accurate and unbiased report as "I" am not spnsored by either of these brand - unfortunately.

Landry

I guess it's the in thing these days. I'm not a fan of the zero foregrip split grip handles. Especially when they're made with foam and not cork.

The XLT rods are more my style. Too bad their higher end rods arn't built the same way.

Actually, if you check out the link to the left and click on musky rods, you can see them. The RType musky rods have traditional full cork handles, only one model has a split grip design :rolleyes:

Aaron

Actually, if you check out the link to the left and click on musky rods, you can see them. The RType musky rods have traditional full cork handles, only one model has a split grip design :rolleyes:

Aaron

They look solid...one of those with a Shimano Cardiff or Abu Ambassador round baitcaster and I might even be able to catch a musky :P

I'm glad to hear somebody else recommend Okuma. I have Solaris heavy, and has been terrific, but is a few years old, which I plan to augment with an EVX this year. You can get them for a little over $100

Edited by backbay

The last 3 Compre`s I purchased were under 100 dollars.

they werent muskie rods

I'm glad to hear somebody else recommend Okuma. I have Solaris heavy, and has been terrific, but is a few years old, which I plan to augment with an EVX this year. You can get them for a little over $100

give it a try, you will like it. i first got wind of them listening to doug johnson rave about them being a great bang for the buck. i used the 8'6" XH all last year for big rubber, casting big jakes & big spinnerbaits. worked well. that store on ronsons dr has them for less than i've seen them go for on U$ sites.

Given the sale going on at Le Baron right now, your best value is probably the Fenwick Techna AV 6'6" or 7' MH muskie trigger rod at $99. See

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdffiles/web_spec/fe...chna_av_web.pdf

At regular price, the Techna AV is overpriced. But at $99 it's a steal. I would choose Techna AV over Compre. It's about the same level as the St. Croix Avid. The Markham store had a few left the last time I was there. Probably a few more in the Mississauga store.

Given the sale going on at Le Baron right now, your best value is probably the Fenwick Techna AV 6'6" or 7' MH muskie trigger rod at $99. See

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdffiles/web_spec/fe...chna_av_web.pdf

At regular price, the Techna AV is overpriced. But at $99 it's a steal. I would choose Techna AV over Compre. It's about the same level as the St. Croix Avid. The Markham store had a few left the last time I was there. Probably a few more in the Mississauga store.

Now that's a great rod for the money.

If I was in the market for one in that price range I'd be all over it.

I have heard the tackle industries (www.tackleindustries.com?) rods are pretty good. That guy's business seems to be around selling really high quality knock-offs for a great price (i like his bulldawg-style lures better than the real thing). Not sure what his rods are based on, or who sell them.

I have heard the tackle industries (www.tackleindustries.com?) rods are pretty good. That guy's business seems to be around selling really high quality knock-offs for a great price (i like his bulldawg-style lures better than the real thing). Not sure what his rods are based on, or who sell them.

That would be James IIRC. I really like his SOFT plastic lures, great quality for the price. I watched the video where he is jumping on the rod. The handle is cool because it unscrews. I wanted one, but a one piece 7'6" footer or longer turned me off because I have to trasport it :(. Don't know how good it is in the long run compared to other rods, but his price is right. If you are lucky you can get a good deal on one on FleaBay Tacklebooty. He was on a Michigan fishing forum Late 2009 selling some for really good prices, below what he normally sells for.

Edited by Syn

Just wanted to "chime" in here guys...thanks for the overwhelming response to my question...lots of good advice and lots of great offers on rods...looks like I will actually be getting two used rods for what I was looking to spend. Can't wait to give them a shot...probably end up getting hooked like I did 25 years ago when I took up river steelheading! I'm thinking that adrenaline surge hooking up with a musky must be amazing...one of the responses mentioned underpowering/overstressing the fish, and it is a very valid point...I don't want to overplay them, and ALL will be released...if I want a mount that bad it would be a replica. I love eating fish, but, keeping a musky is not necessary, unless of course it is so badly hooked it would die anyway. Thanks guys, hopefully some other musky novices are learning from this thread as well.

Just wanted to "chime" in here guys...thanks for the overwhelming response to my question...lots of good advice and lots of great offers on rods...looks like I will actually be getting two used rods for what I was looking to spend. Can't wait to give them a shot...probably end up getting hooked like I did 25 years ago when I took up river steelheading! I'm thinking that adrenaline surge hooking up with a musky must be amazing...one of the responses mentioned underpowering/overstressing the fish, and it is a very valid point...I don't want to overplay them, and ALL will be released...if I want a mount that bad it would be a replica. I love eating fish, but, keeping a musky is not necessary, unless of course it is so badly hooked it would die anyway. Thanks guys, hopefully some other musky novices are learning from this thread as well.

Prepare to get hooked. Since becoming a "musky fisherman" i have consistently caught only one nice one a year (probably on 5-7 weekends per), so LOTS of fishless wknds fishing....yet still absolutely love it. 3/4 of my fishing is now for musky, despite rarely catching anything and having a truly excellent SMB and walleye fishery at my disposal.

Kind of funny because about 24 hours ago I was preaching about the value of buying used but I bought one of those Tackle Industries Rods. Got it about 2 monthes ago, the Mega Heavy 8 foot Rod, lure weights 8-36 ounces. I think once you add in shipping, taxes/ conversion and duty it came to about 128 Canadian dollars. Looks solid although I'm a little dissapointed that the 2 piece handle does not line up perfectly. I can live with it providing the rod performs well otherwise. Sticking to my philosophy of buying quality stuff used I did pair it up with an Abu 7001i, which I got for 80 bucks like new. Should suffice for Musky/Shark or Krakken fishing.