Update on Toyotas Recall

craigdritchie

Further update to last week's post on Toyota recalling 2.3 million cars and trucks due to sticking gas pedals. If you own one of these vehicles, call your dealer and get it serviced asap! This isn't about bashing any one brand, but presented in the interest of safety. Copied verbatim from an AP press release. No word on any action by Canadian dealers. CR

TOYOTA SUSPENDS SALE OF VEHICLES INVOLVED WITH ACCELERATOR RECALL

TORRANCE, Calif. — Toyota is suspending U.S. sales of eight recalled vehicle models to fix accelerator pedals that stick.

As part of the plan, Toyota is halting production at five manufacturing facilities for the week of Feb. 1 “to assess and co-ordinate activities.”

There are 2.3 million vehicles involved in the recall, which was announced last week.

The Japanese automaker says the sales suspension includes the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.

The recall came months after Toyota recalled 4.2 million vehicles due to gas pedals that could become trapped under floor mats, causing the vehicle to accelerate.

All of the parent off-shore auto manufacturers have been playing this game for a long time.

266.jpg

It’s about time they’ve been called on their “defects”; it’s just too bad people had to get hurt, before they stepped up and openly took responsibility.

I know a number of techs that work for some of these companies and they were constantly repairing defects on vehicles. Vehicles that were brought in for basic service work (oil change) and the defect repaired without owner’s knowledge; just to keep their shinny reputation.

Point being their vehicles now, are no better then the former big three.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

I called the local Toyota dealer and I was told that despite Toyota Canada not having issued recall letter yet, they would be happy to take in my 2010 Matrix right away and check the accelerator linkage to see if there is any problem.

Can't ask for much more than that.

It sounds to me like a lot of the press that Toyota is getting about this potential problem is pretty overblown, considering the high-quality build of their cars. I'm on my second Matrix, the first one was so good.

I called the local Toyota dealer and I was told that despite Toyota Canada not having issued recall letter yet, they would be happy to take in my 2010 Matrix right away and check the accelerator linkage to see if there is any problem.

Can't ask for much more than that.

It sounds to me like a lot of the press that Toyota is getting about this potential problem is pretty overblown, considering the high-quality build of their cars. I'm on my second Matrix, the first one was so good.

Ya overblown but so what every time a domestic manufacturer farts it`s gets disected and slammed so I think whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

I have owned 2 Japanesse cars opps sorry 3 I was not going to count the first made in Japan car I owned because the body bio degraded right in front of my eyes so quickly there probably would not have been enough of the car to bring back , anyways with the last 2 Japan cars I have had 3 recalls and the too numerous domestics I have owned over the years I have had 1 recall.

I've since talked again to the Toyota service manager and set up an appointment to have it looked at tomorrow. He said there are two suppliers of the part (can't remember the names). He said parts from one supplier are suspect, parts from the other are OK. They'll have a look to see what parts I've got in my Matrix.

I was not going to count the first made in Japan car I owned because the body bio degraded right in front of my eyes so quickly there probably would not have been enough of the car to bring back

You mean like some of the rust-buckets produced by the Big 3? :P

Since i was 16 yrs old have always owned GM cars. My wife has a toyota. Having seen how durable its been i can say that i'll likely never buy a domestic again. BIG difference btwn the two.

I also have a few friends who work for Honda in Alliston, so to me it doesn't feel like i am sending my $$ overseas.

Sticking gas pedals might not be a bad thing, maybe all the blue hairs that drive them might do the speed limit for once :D

If a cruise of 100 to 105 in a 90 is too slow for you, you can stay behind me until you get a chance to pass. ;)

And if you're in front of me when my gas pedal sticks, I'll use your back bumper to help me slow down. :P

Ya overblown but so what every time a domestic manufacturer farts it`s gets disected and slammed so I think whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

I have owned 2 Japanesse cars opps sorry 3 I was not going to count the first made in Japan car I owned because the body bio degraded right in front of my eyes so quickly there probably would not have been enough of the car to bring back , anyways with the last 2 Japan cars I have had 3 recalls and the too numerous domestics I have owned over the years I have had 1 recall.

Did you ever drive a Dodge caravan?

I never got any recalls either....

but on both of the Grand Caravans I have.... I have had to replace:

Starters... front strut towers... AC condensers ... .... power steering racks.... clocksprings in the steering column... rear door hatch regulators....

These two vans are the same models and the vehicles are 5 years apart in age....

Makes u wonder why the same parts go on these eh ? :angry:

Did you ever drive a Dodge caravan?

I never got any recalls either....

but on both of the Grand Caravans I have.... I have had to replace:

Starters... front strut towers... AC condensers ... .... power steering racks.... clocksprings in the steering column... rear door hatch regulators....

These two vans are the same models and the vehicles are 5 years apart in age....

Makes u wonder why the same parts go on these eh ? :angry:

The questions begging to be asked...Why did you buy the second one if the first one was such a POS?

To answer your question no I have never had the pleasure of driving a Caravan, 2007 Dodge Durango and no problems so far!

I've since talked again to the Toyota service manager and set up an appointment to have it looked at tomorrow. He said there are two suppliers of the part (can't remember the names). He said parts from one supplier are suspect, parts from the other are OK. They'll have a look to see what parts I've got in my Matrix.

The floor mat and sticking pedal are supposedly two different issues. I have a 2010 Tacoma and got the letter on the floor mat, but am not included in the recall on the pedal.

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WW...anguage=english

I just talked to my dealer face to face and you both hit it on the nail according to my dealer in Saskatchewan. Monday it goes in and they will check the mats to ensure that they are original Toyota, and no extra matting underneath, as well as they are pinned to the two floor hooks. He will also test the pedal, they have some sort of instrument that will test the press and depress pressure. Apparently the problem with the pedal is once you take your foot off the pedal it sticks or decelerates abnormally slowly. There are the two different manufacturers and yes it is the Toronto/Mississauga part that is the culprit. His test requires testing once then letting the car sit for two hours then doing a second time. If it passes, we are good to go unless Toyota decides to replace the part anyways. I heard both good and bad about the company because of this. Since they have been outstanding in the past I will believe the good comment. Toyota is unique in that it is recalling all their vehicles because it is against their Culture and Mission Statement not to knowingly sell defective cars. I give them kudus to completely stop any further manafacturing till it is corrected. I Never heard the Big Three doing that. Remember when this exact thing happened to Audi. It near killed their North American Market and later it was found out there was no problem however they never the less spread their Break and Gas pedals further apart any ways.

Sooooooooooooooooo, what are all the Toyota owners going to do when the problem in fact doesn't go away after the pedal replacement...oh yah, go faster.

Funny, talking to a friend who works in the cambridge vacility today, he says the Streetsville CTS manufactured part is exactly the same as the one from its parent company....Hmmm and wonders why they would put it in 4million cars if it was in fact the problem, which he is very sceptical about.

If it turns out this does fix the problem then its a design issue not CTS.

Sooooooooooooooooo, what are all the Toyota owners going to do when the problem in fact doesn't go away after the pedal replacement...oh yah, go faster.

Sounds like you don't like Toyotas. That's OK... you don't have to drive one.

Funny, talking to a friend who works in the cambridge vacility today, he says the Streetsville CTS manufactured part is exactly the same as the one from its parent company....Hmmm and wonders why they would put it in 4million cars if it was in fact the problem, which he is very sceptical about.

If it turns out this does fix the problem then its a design issue not CTS.

This is completely the supplier not a design issue the bushing in the pedal is causeing it to release slowly I looked at one today and let's face it they have to much to loose with this they have no choice but to fix the problem to protect their good name and yes I am a employee and believe I build quality vehicles.