Shimano Reels in Canada

Golfisher

Anyone know why Shimano reels are so much more expensive here in Canada than in the US? For example, Shimano Curado is sold for around $260 before tax and Symetre around $120 in Canada. If you were to order them from the US, they will only cost you around $200 for Curado and $90 for Symetre, including S&H charges. The strong loonie can't explain this since it's been nearly two years that the loonie has been flying high, and therefore any exchange-rate discrepancy should already have been reflected in pricing. What's more, Daiwa reels are priced similarly in both Canada and the US. So what gives? Are are being gouged here?

I paid $113 Canadian for a Shimano baitrunner from BassPro in Michigan as opposed to around $165 (before tax) at BassPro in Vaughn. The box even says the warranty center is in Peterborough, On.

Go figure

Perhaps Canada can't compare with the quantity sold in the US. Hence the prices are higher to maintain a similar profit margin.

Edited by MJL

Because all Shimano products have to be purchased thru Shimano Canada due to Licencing rights. Even BPS can't bring them direct out of their own US warehouse to stock the Vaughn shelves. Thus another middle man that needs, a cut, to keep the lights on....

There is also a 5 or 6% import DUTY for fishing gear made offshore (ie not made in USA or Mexico)

Edited by irishfield

I hate spending my money outside of Canada....but I bought the Shimano Chronarch 51mg for $250.00 Cdn. taxes/shipping including delivered to my front door in 3 days from California. The EXACT same reel is $389.99 +taxes at Bass Pro (Vaughan)....go figure......Ebay is the only way to go....I've bought several items in the last 2 years and refuse to be gouged anymore...

Jason

I too would rather purchase in Canada, but with internet sales, I always find better deals in the US on pretty much everything and they are not hard to find, after shipping, duties, brokerage fees and whatever else they add on it's still worth it. The only time I do stay in Canada is when the warranty is an issue.

I'd imagine that duties, licensing, operating cots, volume discrepancy, etc are applicable to all companies, not just Shimano. What puzzles me is not that every reel is more expensive here than in the US, but that Shimano's pricing is exceptionally higher. I thought Curados were priced outrageously here; Basskicker's example of Chronarch is just insane. Sticking a price tag of $390 on the same reel that you can buy for $250... that's just not kosher.

Being in a similar type of business selling branded products, each country has different channel & pricing strategies. Also, each country usually sets an exchange rate at which they calculate their pricing and once this is set it is set for the year, and usually does not change regardless of current currency fluctuations. Ihope this helps

Mitch

After reading this thread, I decided to just 'GOOGLE' a few fishing tackle sites, as I'm looking for a new Shimano Baitrunner 4500 & a Shimano Stradic 6000. It appeared that Cabela's had about the best prices, and both reels WERE indeed a lot cheaper at Cabela's . . . . . that was until you added on $13.75 EACH for shipping & handling, $3.50 EACH for brokers fee, then the U. S. dollar costs 16.8% over & above (credit card companies usually add a couple points to that) so, all of a sudden (if there are no more hidden charges) my 2 reels, listed at $110.00 + $160.00 have reached about $360.00. And then I would have to drive out to a warehouse in Mississauga to pick them up. Although I MIGHT get lucky, and NOT get dinged for PST & GST, it's NOT too likely! Or I could simply drive down to Fishing World Hamilton, pay about $20.00 more, and I've got 'em. If there's a problem with Cabela's, I gota pay to ship the stuff back . . . if there's a problem with F W, I call Mike or Nick . . . problem solved! So . . . . I can't see any REALLY big saving by buying stateside, considering some of the possible pitfalls. If we all bought locally, I suspect dealers could make a few extra bucks, and stay in business, which, considering how many give great service, is worth it. But . . .. if I have a fishing question to ask . . .. what's the chance a big bait shop south of the 49th can answer it? I do like to save money . . . . but I also like good, personal service . . . . . and will happily pay more for it!

i think it's all in where you shop, i'm relatively sure that Gill Finigans here in the Niagara area had/has Stradics for $165+taxes... cabelas is $120 U.S. plus convesion, shipping, brokerage, taxes.... as for the other reels, said tackle shop has the Quantum energy E760PT & E761PT reels on sale for $160. plus taxes CDN and Cabelas has them for $189. U.S. plus conversion, shipping, brokerage, taxes... just gotta look around, not all shops have huge price differences ;)

Edited by phat bassturd

No thats not crazy.

Poke around on eBay a little. Last year, I bought the exact same Calcutta 400B that you did, and when all was said and done, I had it in my hands for just UNDER $200 Canadian. Brand new, in the box. Thats crazy. I'll never buy another in a store again.

LOL GCD, better suits for the executives! Take a well established and thought of reel like the old style Curado, redesign it and the price goes up 70 bucks? Is it 55 percent better than the old model? Probably not, all the tooling was probably paid for to make the old style so more profit per copy, but not enough for the guys at the top?

Prices on fishing tackle sold in Canada kind of baffle me anyway, even with the exchange rate they seem high.

have u ever tried "dealing" with your local shops, i've had great success in it, i think that if u shop at a store a few times a year for all things, wether it be a rod or a pack of grubs, or even stop in every once and awhile for a chat to a point where they remember you, (don't have to be big budddies) they might be willing to drop prices for u and give you discounts for your business, works for me, i try and stop in at least once a month if i can even if it's just to browse, when i want to buy fishing gear or takcle i hardly ever pay ticket price anymore,

doesn't hurt to try,

i'd say the 2 main reason's are the duty that it costs on importing them from malaysia and china and also the fluctuation of the loonie. if you bring them across yourself you can usually hide the duty, retail stores can't though.....just the way it goes i guess.

And it only had one little scratch on it....right through the serial number....go figure.....

I went through the whole ebay selling thing, it's hard to compete with the US there as well, they can offer way cheaper shipping, don't have to change the currency etc...

There are a lot of actual manufacturers that have employers to sell their products on Ebay, and they do it for slightly over cost, witch is why you can find those crazy low prices from power sellers, I'm sure there are some stolen items on ebay but I'm guessing he got a receipt and papers with his reel.

However if everyone buys of Ebay there will eventually be no deals to be had. :D