Getting Back into the Boat!

Greencoachdog

How do you plan to get back into the boat should you accidently go overboard... especially if you're alone and have been weakened by the shock of cold water immersion? Taking for granted that you were wearing your PFD and didn't drown on your initial plunge when you gasped for breath and were under water when it happened because you weren't wearing a PFD.

I got to thinking about this the other day, and yes my plan was to enter the boat by standing on the cavitation plate of the motor and using the trim button on the motor to get back into the boat... but I thought "what if I had someone with me that couldn't do that?" or maybe it didn't work like I planned. My boat is a Deep V and the gunwales are a lot higher than a bass boat's off the water... like a lot of Canadians own.

So I got to looking around at different boarding ladders and was quite surprised to see how expensive they were, but I found this one at BPS.

Folding Ladder - Universal Mount

The reviews weren't so good, but after reading them I decided that the writers didn't know diddley squat about installation or the internal structure of a boat... so I bought it.

The reviewers stated that it was either hard or impossible to install this ladder correctly on an aluminum boat... I don't agree.

I know that almost nearly all aluminum boats have a wooden stiffener in the transom between 1 1/2-2" thick, mine is 2" thick.

I used 2 #14x2" stainless steel sheet metal screws with stainless lock washers for each of the 4 brackets. The installation is stout!, grab the side rails and shake and it shakes the whole boat... I could pull a water skier or a tube with no problem with a single side rail. The ladder will break 10 times before the mounting brackets pull off.

Here's a couple pics of the installation:

DSC01948.jpg

Folded in the up postion

DSC01949.jpg

Unfolded and down.

I don't intend to use this ladder except for emergencies (I'm not a swimmer or skier)... but it will always be at the ready if I should ever take a dive!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

good idea gee-cee-dee. i've wondered what would happen if i fell in too. but you didn't address the real concern if you fall into the lake... how are you going to do so without spilling your beer?

and that was funny dara! lol!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I been wanting a ladder for swimming. Never thought of a bolt on though...and that's why Canadians should never leave the house in the winter without wearing their Toque!... especially the old ones that don't have much hair. :rolleyes:

One thing though...that being a tracker...are you really sure you want to get back in it? ...the Tracker has caught more fish than you'll ever see in 2 life times! :Gonefishing:

My plan is not to fall out. That ladder looks ghey back there Dawg........sorry!!

S.

Jealousy is such an ugly emotion eh Stinker? :jerry:

Looks like a pretty slick set-up Glen and as usual. you did a great job on the installation.

My Skeeter came from the factory with a similar set-up, 'cept for this ladder you simply pull out a spring loaded pin on the side and the ladder drops straight down into the water. It's mounted directly onto the bolts on the side of the motor bracket and you can see it just to the right of the motor.

Fortunately I haven't needed it yet but like yours, it's nice to know it's hanging back there if the time ever comes.

Cnv0361.jpg

Everyone with more than 20" of freeboard should have one installed. Just make sure you're connected to the kill switch. Good Job dawg. Lew, I like those retractable tie downs you have on there. How sturdy are they? Did they come with the trailer or are they aftermarket?

Lew, I like those retractable tie downs you have on there. How sturdy are they? Did they come with the trailer or are they aftermarket?

Those tie-downs were factory installed on the trailer Roy and are excellent. Their extremely sturdy and take about 2 seconds to secure the boat. Just pull them out, hook them over transom boat hook and a couple clicks of the ratchet and your good to go. To release them, just hit the button and their free.

I'd highly recommend them although I don't know about the quality of the aftermarket.

I have that same ladder Dawg. I use it all the time for swimming and such. Never had to use it in an emergency yet, hope I never have to. My boat is very similar to yours as far as transom hight and thickness. No problem at all instaling it. I use a double sided velcro to hold it up. That is going to be changed out this spring though. It holds great, but from the water and in a panic it would be too hard to undo. Going to use a simple bungee cord and replace it every now and then. They are cheap enough and easier to get undone in an emergency. All in all, I am glad I have it and really like it. I'm sure you will as well. Makes skinny dipping much easier!

Lew: do those retractable tie downs loosen on long trips? My "tie down buddies" from BPS loosen like crazy even on a 45min drive and i'm using them at 1/3 their weight capacity.

Nope, not in the least, infact I towed the boat over 2500 miles last year and never once had to re-tighten the straps.

Those tie-downs were factory installed on the trailer Roy and are excellent. Their extremely sturdy and take about 2 seconds to secure the boat. Just pull them out, hook them over transom boat hook and a couple clicks of the ratchet and your good to go. To release them, just hit the button and their free.

I'd highly recommend them although I don't know about the quality of the aftermarket.

Same here, I have them on my Shorelander trailer. Have never had any problems with them. even when I use them in the freezing weather when duck hunting. They are so easy to use. Loading the boat takes no time at all and there is no untangling of straps like I used to do with my old boat and trailer.

I been wanting a ladder for swimming. Never thought of a bolt on though.

All joking aside Dara, this is not an expensive ladder and I'm not sure how it would stand up to heavy use. Cabelas has a much more durable looking ladder with a greater weight capacity... but it's 3 times what I payed for this one.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

Everyone with more than 20" of freeboard should have one installed.

The amount of freeboard is a good consideration, but I think more important considerations are the age and health of the boat owner and passengers... and the most important consideration being whether the owner fishes alone over cold water and/or cold weather!

Given these considerations, you and I and a lot of members on this board should have installed a ladder on our boats a long time ago!!!

I've got mine!... and expect you to have yours installed before open water season, and hope other members on this board will do the same.

I have that same ladder Dawg. I use it all the time for swimming and such. Never had to use it in an emergency yet, hope I never have to. My boat is very similar to yours as far as transom hight and thickness. No problem at all instaling it. I use a double sided velcro to hold it up. That is going to be changed out this spring though. It holds great, but from the water and in a panic it would be too hard to undo. Going to use a simple bungee cord and replace it every now and then. They are cheap enough and easier to get undone in an emergency. All in all, I am glad I have it and really like it. I'm sure you will as well. Makes skinny dipping much easier!

Mine is held in the up position with springs, but I'm sure that with extended use they would probably weaken and need replacing or need the velcro or bungee.

The good thing about the springs is that if you forget to put it up before you put the boat under power it will automatically flip up into the stowed position.

No one ever plans on having an accident like falling into the water when they're fishing alone... but we should all be prepared wear your PFD) and have a plan in case we do!

I leave a dock line running from bow cleat to the stern cleat loose enough to get a foot up, its not legal because its dual purpose, the boarding ladder folded up and stowed away covers that but its not much good if theres nobody in the boat to find it and hang it over the side.

The basic boating coarse tells us to practice a man overboard , one of the guys had gone out and chucks the wife over the side and couldn't get her back in, so do your first practice in shallow water . And like the Dawg says when someone is disabled its a whole different story.