Lake Simcoe Ice fishing

Jaffa_ricky

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any pointers for catching whitefish or lakers on Lake Simcoe? I have been trying to catch whitefish for several years up there with no luck! Gps coordinates would be amazing, or just some ideas as to access roads, depth of water and rig set ups.

Thanks

Dude...I started to post some helpful hints, and my computer crashed. Seriously. I'm pretty sure it's a sign that you need to do a little more legwork. :)

At the risk of more down time....I'll say this. What you want, either rhymes with "billiams" or "lite boob figs"

That's all I got.

Thanks guys for your replies!

I know the typical baits to use; I just haven't had luck with them myself and was wondering if there were any 'sure-thing lures'

I've used Williams of all colors, Sweedish Pimples, Little Cleo's of all colors (red and gold work well for me in the summer).

In the past for ice fishing on Simcoe ive tried Oro Medonte roads 1-6, Kempenfelt Bay 90ish fow, Floyd Hales huts out of where ever he is, Big Bay Pt, Big Bear pt? (i think thats what its called... just past big bay pt. I used to go to school in Barrie and therefore cut class alot to get out on the lake even though I wasnt having the greatest luck.

Any hints as to current depths and access pts would be great, Im working on getting the Garmin Bluechart maps for simcoe for my gps and hopefully can figure out a location that works!

Invest in a sonar or flasher...your success will rise gauranteed. :)

Sounds like you're fishing all the right areas and baits...but you may not be sealing the deal by triggering those fish when they get close to your lure.

Sometimes they want it hanging motionless, sometimes reeling away from them gets them in chase mode, sometimes a regular jigging pattern works...you can' t tell what they are interested without the feedback a sonar/flasher provides.

It's not always 'fish a foot off bottom with a williams' that works. You gotta change it up if you want consistent success.

Tony

For me today it was a meegs/badboyz black & silver tipped with a small minnow twitched on bottom in just over 80'. The regular Williams or jigging raps only produced looks. Got my 2 but sure had to work for them. Bite was slow & soft today. Seemed to start to pick up about 12:30-1pm when I got my second.