Still no Crappies on Rice.

Ron

Still no Crappies on Rice.... but I am narrowing it down. Was out today for a few hours, the first series of holes drilled, I put the camera down and low and behold there is a Muskie stareing back at me! Went in all 4 directions from there, started in 16 ft, ended up on shore one way, top of shoal other way and followed the trough the other 2 ways. Still no go. I did however see 2 walleyes right on the break of the weed line.

Got to second location where I figured they would be staging for ice out. Same thing drilled holes in 4 directions, only to see walleye eyeing up the camera! Still no Crappie.

Last location once again drilled a series of holes, this time working through the what seems to be a decent weed bed...Finally saw my first Crappie on the camera. I figure if there is one there is more... well that theory got thrown out the window!

Gonna giver nails again tomorrow, still off with my shoulder and my nephew is enjoying drilling the holes for me! (Musta blown about 60 holes in each location, taking extra gas with me tomorrow!)

Total count on the camera:

Muskie - 1

Walleye - 7

Bass - 1

Perch - 3

Crappie - 1

Fish "iced" - 2 Perch

So anyone else having success?

Hey Ron, what area of the lake are you fishing? I don't want your spot, just east end, west end, central.......etc. I'm going to start fishing a few spots from the west end to the otonabee next week, so I'll keep ya in the loop.

If there is one, there should be more. I'd give that spot another good working over if I was you.

How deep was it where you seen the one crappie?

If I find anything, I'll let ya know. I haven't even tried yet, but I"m close enough that I can run out after work and start my search. Once the days get a little longer, I'll be spending much more time out there. All the slabs I've caught thru the ice have been suspended over deep water. Most times, the deepest water in the lake, but closest to structure.

S.

Ahhhh, whatever....all you Zone 17 guys are gettin' fat on Crappie....you're just keeping the hotspots to yourselves, and making it sound like you're not catching anything so as to keep the crowds away :rolleyes:

Don't worry Ron...sounds like you're going to find those slabs soon!

If it's the crappie making us fat. I could probably go a few more weeks getting skunked.

For lakes so filled with panfish, the lack of action is somewhat amusing. Makes you realize how much local knowledge is passed along about existing fishing areas and patterns.

Easy to find perch on Simcoe, just look where they have been caught for years. Considering how many people know these lakes very well, it is a fun adventure. Every person is saying the same thing...haven't found them yet but I will.

The quest for the Holy Crappie Grail continues....

Hey Ron, what area of the lake are you fishing? I don't want your spot, just east end, west end, central.......etc. I'm going to start fishing a few spots from the west end to the otonabee next week, so I'll keep ya in the loop.

If there is one, there should be more. I'd give that spot another good working over if I was you.

How deep was it where you seen the one crappie?

If I find anything, I'll let ya know. I haven't even tried yet, but I"m close enough that I can run out after work and start my search. Once the days get a little longer, I'll be spending much more time out there. All the slabs I've caught thru the ice have been suspended over deep water. Most times, the deepest water in the lake, but closest to structure.

S.

Going out from Gores Landing and heading West from there. I tried deeper water today, 19ft - 2 walleye...move... 17ft - 1 walleye...move... 14ft - 2 walleye move...

I'm starting to see a pattern here, I wonder if I bought an air brush kit and painted them to look like crappie hmmm.... :whistling:

Ron, I might be heading out Sat are you free?

As much as I would like to Phil, I got an invite to chase some crappie on Pigeon this weekend already. There is going to be a good number of us heading out with cell phones in hand. Hoping to spread out in a large area to see what we can muster up.

Water is gin clear on Rice. We set up in a spot, dropped our lines and you could see your 1/32 jig down 14ft. We had to pull out from that spot too, a school of walleye came in and attacked the jig!

One more day of ice fishing and then my shoulder should be good enough to go back to work...DANG!

If it's the crappie making us fat. I could probably go a few more weeks getting skunked.

For lakes so filled with panfish, the lack of action is somewhat amusing. Makes you realize how much local knowledge is passed along about existing fishing areas and patterns.

Easy to find perch on Simcoe, just look where they have been caught for years. Considering how many people know these lakes very well, it is a fun adventure. Every person is saying the same thing...haven't found them yet but I will.

The quest for the Holy Crappie Grail continues....

I hear ya Mike,

I can find Perch on Simcoe with my eyes closed. Now to find the Crappie on Simcoe, completely different!

As much as I would like to Phil, I got an invite to chase some crappie on Pigeon this weekend already. There is going to be a good number of us heading out with cell phones in hand. Hoping to spread out in a large area to see what we can muster up.

Water is gin clear on Rice. We set up in a spot, dropped our lines and you could see your 1/32 jig down 14ft. We had to pull out from that spot too, a school of walleye came in and attacked the jig!

Ouch, Pigeon will be a toughy, even harder then rice I think! lol DEEEEEEEEEP, has been the ticket for Rice, of course not just any DEEP water but finding the couple "things" associated is how I patterened them.

Now for Simcoe, man, I have seriously tried to pattern the craps out there, I have never got one in the winter. They must just POD up in the big basin and suspend in clouds rotating the lake. I can't get on them. Now in the spring, pretty tough to beat Simcoe for them!