Bought me a GPS

douG

Garmin 76 CSX, floats and waterproof, 1 GB card, case and usb cable, all for $465, base map included. I think the rest of the maps will $100 me to death.

These are CAD funds, no tax outa Alberta, shipping included. Best deal I can find.

Edited by douG

I once went into the woods with my labrador and to make sure I could get home I left a trail of crumbs. I got 2 things from that trip 1 is lost and 2 a very fat labrador. Good to hear you got a GPS I have one in the car and another on the boat they are invaluable. One piece of advise is always set a start point in the GPS before you go into the woods that way if your batteries are getting low you can turn it off which erases your path but still have a return point when you turn it back on.

Art

Congrats, that's a great unit, you may have thought it expensive now, but in a couple of weeks you'll be thinking "how did I ever go without". It is an awesome tool which will give you so much freedom, things that limited you before are gone. Piece of mind and the freedom to just explore. I would recomend getting the Topo Canada maps also, they can autoroute you to most places and show most island, rivers and trails. The GPS is gonna revolutionize the world like the lightbulb and computers.

I was at a district meeting of the Canadian Power Squadron a few weeks ago and it was reported that 50% of those that take our GPS coarse fail the exam. The gps coarse is starting to get requested more often but our squadron hasn't done one yet and I haven't seen it.

I would guess that at least 90% of those that have gps don't know how to use all of the features of the unit.

I'm one of that 90%, I use a cheep gps and link it to a laptop, everything is done on the laptop and all I know about the gps is how to turn it on and off. One of these days I'll dig up the manuel and figure it out.