Seeing as how we are talking about wood...

Gerritt

Lately I have been doing alot of ICI work... and alot of Hospitals..

Here is a respite home (think Ronald McDonald House) I have been working on for sometime... it was pretty much destroyed by fire...

So I thought I would take some pics and show you big boy woodworking lol

Mark Preece House. Owned and Operated by Hamilton Health Sciences

IMG_1359.jpg

A few tools of the trade...

IMG_1358.jpg

Curved architectural wall

IMG_1362.jpg

Post and Beam

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

Post 12x18 Beam 24x18

Real fun drilling 24" x 7/8" holes dead nuts straight into Douglas Fir... the knots suck and through the bit off plumb

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

Anyways hope you guys enjoyed seeing my days @ work and what I do for a living...

G.

Some not all.. This project is mostly all new construction on the existing foundation. the interior was completely gutted by fire.. as was the roof.. only thing left standing were the outside rock walls. the interior shots I am showing are all pretty much new lumber. With the fir coming from Quebec.

G

Edited by Gerritt

need a joist hanger for the one crashing into the beam

LOL! that is what I was doing... the Gusset Clips were not spec'd by the engineer until after the floor was installed... everything needs to be boxed and hung on hangers now... after installing the gusset clips, fun fun!

Sac religious that you use those fine hand forged Japanese chisels on that stuff. :o You need a nice mortise attachment for that drill. Nice work

Curious as to why they didnt use LVL's there with caps or are these getting finished after?

Edited by smalliefisher

Pretty ironic, I work for Hamilton Health Sciences, so I guess it's your truck blocking me from using that one entrance to the hospital parking lot. ;)

Next time I'll have to stop by and say hey, move that truck, haha, jk.

You guys got alot of work ahead of ya's for sure, but looking solid so far.

Edited by Hooked

Sac religious that you use those fine hand forged Japanese chisels on that stuff. :o You need a nice mortise attachment for that drill. Nice work

Curious as to why they didnt use LVL's there with caps or are these getting finished after?

I was wondering if anyone would notice the chisels :) I put them there on purpose (they were not used) to see if anyone would notice as I had them in my box beside me. Nice catch.. They are very far from cheap, but one of the best chisels I have ever owned, I am a firm believer that good hand tools will last for life... where electrics are disposable.

As for LVL's, paralams etc....

they were not spec'd .. need to remember... this is an old space... and before the fire, solid fir was used 12x18... not to mention, LVL's would weigh/cost alot more given the same dimensions, and big and bulky is what they are looking for... very rustic... and all exposed... and the fir at the end of the day cost less...averaging about 15.00 lnf, based on volume. not to mention the cost savings in adding a veneer (labour)

Good eye on tools.... I should show off my hand planes ;) I have an apron plane you would give you're left to use lol

G

Edited by Gerritt

Pretty ironic, I work for Hamilton Health Sciences, so I guess it's your truck blocking me from using that one entrance to the hospital parking lot. ;)

Next time I'll have to stop by and say hey, move that truck, haha, jk.

You guys got alot of work ahead of ya's for sure, but looking solid so far.

Thanks man!... yeah one of those trucks is mine! Look for the Ford E350 with the huge bubble on it! (Unicell body) I work several different sites at any given time, but if you see the truck by all means ask for me! I will be there,

and coffee is close by... as is adult entertainment!

LOL

G.

I love the big timbers.

I do steel for work myself. the wood is a hobby.

I agree with the chisel remark though...a sad way to keep your fine japanese chisels. I have one like them.

Actually I don't like the steel ring pressing into my palm.

just one question though...do you guys not need to wear hard hats on construction sites down there?

edited to say I was typing this as you made your chisel reply 2 posts above

Lets see the apron plane

Edited by Dara

Very cool Gerritt! Looks like we have a few handy fellows on the site! :)

I am also a carpenter, do mostly finish work but a bit of everything. Here's a few pic's of the current project. Cape Cod style. 7 bathrooms, one in each beadroom and 3 common. I wish I could get some pics of the landscaping around the pool at the back of the house but too much snow!

Its still a work in progress but should be finished up by the spring.

102_1947.jpg

102_1950.jpg

102_1952.jpg

102_1951.jpg

Hey Gerritt it's good to see you actually working.

Now that I see your handiwork you may not get off so easy the next time. :D

If you are so inclined I'll be at the boat show this weekend hanging out at the Crestliner display.

C'mon over and we will yak about some ice fishing soon.