Mounting a power auger on a sled

troutologist

Well I've got a bit of an issue, I'm in the process of building a box to store my icefishing kit on my sled, but don't want to rush the process and want to think out all my storage issues. In the mean time I'd like a way to attach my auger to the rack of my sled (2000 tundra)

I have been thinking about atv gun mounts (the "Y" type) are these strong enough to hold an auger?

Appreciate any help...I'm going out this weekend and hope to avoid a complete yard sale of gear.

I have been thinking about atv gun mounts (the "Y" type) are these strong enough to hold an auger?

I broke the Y type mount the first weekend, so no it doesn't work well for an auger mount

I just used 2 pieces of plywood, looks like crap, but works

DIGI0051.jpg

I may be wrong, but I was always told that supporting your auger that way was not good for it. Was told that the floats in the carbs aren't meant to be stored sideways and that you should always keep the head unit upright and less stress on the drive shaft?

Like I said.. this is just what I was told, is there any truth to it?

Len

i know theres floats in the carbs of 2stroke such as in snowmobiles and such. not sure on the power heads. the gas in the floats will just drain causing it to be a pain to start with dry carbs and it could quite possibly be hard on the drive shaft, all depends where the weight is going the most when your going over the bumps, that would be something to take into consideation when building something for your auger.

I built a removable box for my ice fishing gear.

We don't have groomed trails here and if you put your stuff in a sled/boggan it gets the crap beat out of it.

Another plus is better maneuverability and you can run faster.

My auger is carried in a Cabela's Auger Bag and strapped in. Never had any problems carrying it this way, plus it doesn't get beat up.

14.jpg

15.jpg

I can't see the bearing in the power head being affected much by "jolting" if you will but who knows...

as for laying the power head down....everyone I know does this and their augers seem to run fine B) . If its that much of a concern then take the auger off it each time you move...

i know theres floats in the carbs of 2stroke such as in snowmobiles and such. not sure on the power heads. the gas in the floats will just drain causing it to be a pain to start with dry carbs and it could quite possibly be hard on the drive shaft, all depends where the weight is going the most when your going over the bumps, that would be something to take into consideation when building something for your auger.

There are no floats in those carbs, they use a metering diaphragm same as a chainsaw. Doesn't matter what position you transport it in. As far as the brg. is concerned; As long as it is supported close to the motor as shown in those photos, it won't be a problem.