NF - Woodworkers

SlowPoke

So as not to hijack Dara's thread...

I will be doing a lot more woodworking in the new house; build the shop 30x18ish, purchasing and upgrading tools etc.

I will be looking for; (prefer General/GI/Delta)

Table saw - cabinet or hybrid

Jointer - 6" minimum

Planer - 12-15"

Drill Press - floor standing, capable of 6" cuts

Shaper - 1-3hp (wishlist)

Clamps & other necessities also needed

I've been scouring the web for good local used equipment without much luck. If you guys see anything I might be interested in, please pass it on.

There is no budget in mind; if its a great value, I will consider it.

The closer to London the better but I will drive a couple hours.

You might want to keep an eye on the auctions...i have picked up some pretty sweet deals in years gone by at Filson Auctions...he is in Birr but does estate stuff all over sw ontario...carful though ...auctions themselves can become addicting...lol...

Good Luck ....

Dara set the hook on you too eh ???

Edited by Twocoda

For a table saw I would suggest checking home depot for a rigid 3650. They have been discontinued for the hybrid model and should be going for about $400.00 I paid 8 for mine and would do it again. Nice saw with a real nice fence....ps...your shop will never be big enough :rolleyes:

You might want to keep an eye on the auctions...i have picked up some pretty sweet deals in years gone by at Filson Auctions...he is in Birr but does estate stuff all over sw ontario...carful though ...auctions themselves can become addicting...lol...

Good Luck ....

wait till I get these pics downloaded tomorrow to post...you'r gonna be done for :D

With the table saw I would suggest looking very hard at the new granite tops, they are very stable.

I'm wondering about those. I've seen a couple brands using them, one of which is Steel City. I wouldn't mind checking it out but I don't think they have any distibutors near London.

I'm not a big fan of auctions. I'm sure there are deals to be had but I always seem to walk away empty handed.

The hook has been set for a long time, too long! With our move in date just 18 days away, I thought I'd start putting the feelers out for equipment. I think once I get settled in I'm going to set my Delta bench saw on fire!

Watch Princess Auto sales for the clamps and wood workin accessories. I'd also through in a 10" sliding Mitre saw. I couldn't live without mine

I have my eye on a Milwaukee 12" slider. I have a 10" and an 8" cordless as well as a chop saw. Convincing my wife I need another miter saw might be a chore when she thinks they're all the same!

I'm going to pass on Princess Auto clamps. As much as I like that store and the service, their tools tend lack in quality.

For a table saw I would suggest checking home depot for a rigid 3650. They have been discontinued for the hybrid model and should be going for about $400.00 I paid 8 for mine and would do it again. Nice saw with a real nice fence....ps...your shop will never be big enough :rolleyes:

I will keep an open mind about Rigid. They changed the landscape in cordless tools and it looks like they're trying to do the same with big iron. I've been eyeballing the jointer that somehow sneaks into your photos. Big Rigid deals coming up in February. If I haven't scooped up some deals on used, I might go orange.

I wish you had posted this sooner, I just sold my wood lathe, 2 sets of chisls, plunge router and biscuit jointer all for $250.00, The router and biscuit jointer didn't have an hour on them combined, the lathe was a Rockwell Beaver 36" bed one set of the chisles was still in the box, the other set hardly used. I couldn't find anyone that wanted them.

I wish you had posted this sooner, I just sold my wood lathe, 2 sets of chisls, plunge router and biscuit jointer all for $250.00, The router and biscuit jointer didn't have an hour on them combined, the lathe was a Rockwell Beaver 36" bed one set of the chisles was still in the box, the other set hardly used. I couldn't find anyone that wanted them.

I would have been all over that deal, my loss!

I don't need a lathe right now but eventually would like one. At that price I would have found a use for it LOL!!

Slowpoke,

I'm a woodworker by Trade. Try out the Delta X5 Tools. They have a 6" Professional jointer with a great warranty also the controls are at chest level for easy operating, only found on higher end more expensive industrial ones.. I have all the X5 tools for my home shop. I have used many but have found these to be very stable, defect and trouble free. They have a 15" roller Planer that has not given me a lick of trouble at all in the last 4 years. I use them basically every day. As for hand tools, you will get what you pay for. I buy my bits from Dimar Canada. I have found them to be better then Freud,Millwauke,Bosch, and they are Canadian. I have a Commerical account at Le Valley as I find them to be the best for handtools. Email me if you want. I can pretty much give you a Review on most items as thats what I work at for a Living

Edited by smalliefisher