Brookies from the north

Anderson

So my son and I decided to hit a little lake about 5 min from home -5 no wind perfect

Managed 3 sweet brookies

Nipigon2148.jpg

Nipigon2153.jpg

Came home for a nice bowl of Turkey Soup

Think we"ll go back for the evening festivies :thumbsup_anim:

So after the turkey soup we went out for an hour

Nipigon2156-1.jpg

Nipigon2157-1.jpg

I forgot to bring my camera so I had to take the picture in the bait shop

Gonna clean these up and give "em to a couple of old folks that can"t get out but love to eat fish

That's my Christmas present to them By the way this hen measures 21 in

Edited by The Rock

even better. i'm going to stop and fish there sometime. i've been driving past nipigon for the last 15 years visiting my parents in Kenora. i want to stop every time, but my vacation time is limited and by the time i get there, i've been driving for 15 hours. one of these days.

So for everyone that was wondering These Brookies are between 5 and 7 years old that were hatchery fish released to live out the rest of their days They put 700 of them in last May The lake also holds good numbers of splake which average 1-3 years and average 12-14 in we usually let them go unless badly hooked The lake also hold a good population of walleyes with the biggest I"ve seen so far around 8lbs but lots o0f little ones in the 1lb range

Rumor has it the lake use to have lakers and the deepest spot is 82 ft so their could be a monster still swimming and eating those little splake :rolleyes:

OnamanRiver038.jpg

Ice fishing brookies is my fav. There is something about fishing 3-5ft of water with your head down the hole watchin a brookie circle your bait. Dosen't get any better.. Are there any natural brookie lakes left? Other than nipigon ect.. Where i fish up in haliburton im pretty sure everything is put and take no naturals.

Yes we do have natural brookie lakes I was with 2 friends in a Noname lake , buddie caught a 9 lb"er as soon as it came to the surface I said to my friend hey that's a nice lake trout he said to me There are no lake trout in here( Jaw drop ) I heard rumors of an 11 Lb"er comming outta the same lake It"s about an hour from here There are other natural lake and are usually canoe and over niters

Gonna clean these up and give "em to a couple of old folks that can"t get out but love to eat fish

Don't blame you. I wouldn't eat one either. Those old hatchery brood stock are pretty much useless. We get them dumped in one of our local lakes too. I don't know what the guys that catch them do with them here. Your photos are typical of fish that have lived in concrete tanks for their entire lives. The worn out tails and fat bodies are telltale signs. Does the lakes name start with an "L"?

Good eye on that one It"s pretty tough to get a good looking brood stock and yes the lake starts with L

One year we fished a lake that starts with S where they had put in some brood lakers averaging 15 lbs

We did a couple on the smoker and they were not bad proving the point that a good cook can make a boot taste great :P