Undecided Reel Choice

MCTFisher9120

Ok, so like come the Spring Classic at BPS I'll be getting another setup and I just can't seem to make my mind on the friggen reel to buy. It's either a Curado E7 (miester's choice) or for some reason I have a hunch about the Quantum Energy PT. I like both reels and yes the Curado is newer and lighter...I don't know I just want to hear some reasons not to but the Quantum and why to buy it over the Curado and vise/versa

Dam Shimano!

Thank's,

MTBF

Hey, I'll throw the Daiwa Fuego in there aswell

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

That Quantum was my first baitcaster and I've been very happy with it. Perhaps I shouldn't be playing with all the adjustments as much as I do but I like not having to open up the case to set the one brake. I fiddle with that a lot in changing conditions. Perhaps as I get better with it I'll be ok just leaving it off completely. Anyway, I like the Quantum.

JF

I have both, they are both great reels. The Quantum is smoother and I think it casts a bit farther but that's not really fair, different rods/lures. Put both in your hands see which you like better and if that does not work, flip a coin, you can't go wrong with either.

is there really a point to asking for an opinion on what reel?? the same thing always happens, u get the guys who use shimano say buy the curado... the guys who use quantum say, buy the energy... both guys say the other reel is not as good. and then u get the odd guy saying to buy somethin different like abu or daiwa.

i use quantum reels... however, i own 2 citica reels and love them, but i like my quantum reels better. personally, i think the energy looks better then the curado, and is a bit smoother as someone else pointed out as well. both reels were made smaller and lighter this year.

so, best advice... decide on the technique ur gonna use the combo for.. then pick out the rod u wanna match the reel with first... now, based on the technique, decide on the gear ratio u'll need... cranking, high speed, or burner... now, take that rod and go to the counter and ask to see one curado and one energy and then put each on the rod, and get a feel for them, look how they match up and balance on the rod. then decide what one YOU want to get based on how each reel feels to YOU and what one will best suit YOUR needs.

You first need to find a use for the reel you want to but. General good all around reel would be a 6 speed. If you are looking for speed then the faster 7 speed reels are better for that. All 4 reels have their place. Daiwa Fuego's right now for the price cant be beat and are very smooth reels. The Curado is by no way as smooth as the Abu,PT, or the Fuego bit does palm nicely and has a very nice pickup recovery. Great Froggin reel and good for you reaction type baits. However you will have to grease the Abu and Curado more than the PT and Fuego. Tolerences on the Abu are not as good as the Quantum and Daiwa. On a scale of 1-4 I would rate the reels as this.

1:Quantum PT

2:Daiwa Fuego

3:Abu Revo

4:Shimano Curado

This is just based on smoothness of the reels. However with a little cleaning and grease swap and a little polishing of the roughly cut gears the Curado and Abu will turn out very smooth. Tends to get dirty very easily. For size it would be a toss up between the Curado and the Fuego. The Quantum is still a bigger reel but will feel Like an older Calais for smoothness. It actually feels like you have a solid peice of machinery in your hands. Dont buy one for lightness as some reels being light as they are do not balance on the rod very nice. Tends to give you a tired forearm and a nervous shoulder after a long day of casting. I personally like a heaviey reel on a rod that I even weight sometimes for balance. You can have a rod/reel combo that if weighed will scare you but you can fish all day without fatigue.

First pick a technique you want to use this for and I'm sure someone can better answer your question. Bass Pro and Hirks in Bomanville, Fishing World has some great deals on right now for sure. Hirks has been selling the revo for a fantastic deal. Bass Pro gnerally is higher than all others but you get to see stuffed animals. Lol. and Fishingworld will give you great deals. Better to buy in a smaller store to get better service usually. Just my opinion, not stirring the pot B)

I think you need to throw the Diawa in the garbage... forget about the Quantum and Shimano... and get the oversized Zebco 33... it is soooo you!!! :P

They're all good reels Mike (except the Zebco), get the one that feels best in your hand and you have the most confidence in.. that'll be the best one for you!

In my experiences if your looking to target pike and musky maybe salmon, I would consider the Curado. Now if your looking at using it for bass or similar I probably would go with the quantum. I love throwing soft plastics with my energy but hate throwing bigger baits with it. Also I like the drag alot better with the Shimano much smoother but like the ease of the breaking system with Quantum, kind of a catch 22. My next reel will be the new Stradic CI4 for bottom bouncing for steelhead in the Niagara, smooth as a babys bottom!

Edited by Hellfish

Mike

I have had my fair share of several good reels before:

Calais 100

Calais 200

Calais 200DC

Daiwa Steez

Daiwa TDZ

Daiwa Fuego

Shimano Core100

I have sold them all and now I only have the Curados left.

For the price the curado cannot be beat. Great for throwing senkos, spinnerbaits and 3/4 oz cleos.

I will restock this coming season with Curados and Core 50's only.

Jose :D