Critter ID?

douG

There is some type of critter in my composter. We use strict rules about no fat, bones, eggs, meat, salad dressing and so on. But we still have some evidence of a critter that turns over the compost bin. It leaves tunnels about a golf ball size in diameter, bottom to top.

The trap set with bacon and peanut butter has not been tripped in over a week, so I wonder if this could still be a rat. Any idears?

Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?

Since it is not rats, I kinda like how the whole composter is steaming away, well turned and aerated, all on its ownself. By 'turned over', I did not mean 'overturned', but more like forked over. Stirred, like.

It's strange how the vegetables and coffee grounds are being stirred, but the bacon/peanutbutter on the thumb snapper trap is being ignored by the rodent. Don't ask about the thumb thing, a painful event and all.

Do I want a mole in my compost bin? Btw, i dealt with a previous mouse infestation in the compost bin by naming them, so this is a possibility too.

Edited by douG

I had a rat that would come and pick up seed under my bird feeders this summer, often in the daylight, sucker was getting bold. Wife wanted it gone and I was none too impressed with its presence as well. Got one those big Victor rat traps, baited it with bacon first, then peanut butter, kernel corn, balogna, tried lots of stuff. Only put it out at night when the birds were gone but you could still see the darned rat in the back light, he never touched it. Eventually I stopped feeding the birds till he gave up and left, then crossed my fingers and resume feeding, luckily for me he did not return. Bet it is a rat, sorry.

If the compost is brewing to your like, despite the intruder, why not just leave it?

Had evidence of an intruder in my garage, so set a trap and nailed this.

IMG_0014-5.jpg

Get one those big Victor rat traps. Bet it is a rat, sorry.

Thought rats in Toronto were an urban myth until i saw this one. What a relief to get this away from the house.

Actually weighed it :P , 15 ounces!

If it is a mole and you would like to be rid of it. Find a plastic pin wheel on a metal rod, the kind that blow and spin in the wind. Maybe a nice sunflower type. Stick in the ground beside the composter, it will drive any mole within 50 feet away. Most dollar stores carry them but I'm not sure this time of year.

I had moles in my yard one spring and my elderly neighbour suggested a pinwheel. Two pinwheels cleared my acre lot of all moles.

The lovely bride thought plastic sunflowers were nicer than moles. :)

EHG , if you thought rats in TO were a myth , you never lived on a boat at Bluffers park . Remember one full moon night a few months after I moved to Bluffers me and the wife up on the bridge 7 year old son asleep in his bunk ,we went for a romantic walk on the rocks surrounding shore line , full moon ablazeing touch became carress amost got the deed done when wife let out a scream that would wake the dead . Rats 10+ running amost the rocks , lets just say I didnt get lucky on the rocks that or any other night lmao. Lots of rats in TO ...

When I lived in Mississauga we had a racoon that used to sleep in one of our composters.

We figured the warmth from the composting process was to his liking. When we would go to pus something in the composter we would look before tossing it in. If the composter was occupied we would put it in the other one. The racoon never gave us any grief, he just liked sleeping in the composter. :dunno:

Thanks for the stories, friends. I hadn't considered moles, but I've just learned that they are in the composter to eat the little red worms (I can't come to terms with etc.). That might explain why typical rat baits weren't working.

But then again, Dave524's experience doesn't rule out rats either. I guess I will keep that big Victor set inside the bin.