Legend 16 XCITE SC 2009

cowanjo

gday all - I am considering upgrading from my little Lund 14 foot DLX 9.9 - lots of fish have come aboard so what does everyone think of think of the above boat with a 40hp efi 4 stroke - it was tough pigeon this year in rough weather.

Thankyou for your thoughts?

John C

I think you'll find a few guys here that own one and don't have much good to say about the dealer on the 400 in Barrie, or stuff that broke and how it was(n't) fixed by them properly (or at all).. but they seem happy with the boat itself overall. Their packages are generally underpowered though, with some not even being able to surpass "hull" speed when loaded up.

That is one of the boats that I considered. I ended up purchasing a Princecraft Holiday DLX SC. I think that the Princecraft is a much nicer boat and the price wasn't too much different.

If you are willing to run a 50hp 2 stroke; then some of Legends other higher end models work out just as cheap. The 50hp 2 stroke is a couple of grand less than the 40 hp 4 stroke.

My friend Al bought that exact boat this spring, but only went with the 4 stroke 30... blah. It goes fine with 2 guys, but 3 or more and she plows. Fill the livewell - and she plows. If you get it, go with at least a 50. Other than being underpowered with the 30, it is an AWESOME boat to fish from.

when I saw the title of this thread I figured you were going to say it was powered by a 25 or 30. 40 isn't bad! I don't know the model you're talking about, but if its a heavy boat (wide? console? hull?) you may still need more than 40. If its a "smaller" boat you should be ok. I have a fairly light 16 foot princecraft with a 50 and it moves pretty good.

Would not be my first choice, seems kinda skinny at 74". For safety and comfort I would look for a 90" beam and a full console.

You and your partner will really appreciate the full console in the cold spring and fall weather.

If it were me I would wait for the boat show there will lots of dealers/manufactures there and if your ready to buy you should be able to do better than a skinny Legend.

Would not be my first choice, seems kinda skinny at 74". For safety and comfort I would look for a 90" beam and a full console.

You and your partner will really appreciate the full console in the cold spring and fall weather.

If it were me I would wait for the boat show there will lots of dealers/manufactures there and if your ready to buy you should be able to do better than a skinny Legend.

Most people who are looking for a boat have a certain price range. A dual consol boat with a 90" beam would probably cost double what this model does. Kind of like telling someone who is considering a Hyundi Tucson that they should get a Range Rover or a Toyota Landcrusier instead.

My friend Al bought that exact boat this spring, but only went with the 4 stroke 30... blah. It goes fine with 2 guys, but 3 or more and she plows. Fill the livewell - and she plows. If you get it, go with at least a 50. Other than being underpowered with the 30, it is an AWESOME boat to fish from.

If I remember correctly this boat is rated for 40hp max. The base package comes with a twenty.

I like the Legend boats, but you will find others who don't. You will find most people like the make of boat they own and are accustomed to. The boat show is coming up so have a look there.
Most people who are looking for a boat have a certain price range. A dual consol boat with a 90" beam would probably cost double what this model does. Kind of like telling someone who is considering a Hyundi Tucson that they should get a Range Rover or a Toyota Landcrusier instead.

Some great advice here, especially the boat show note.

There certainly are a lot of Legends on the water when I am out so someone is buying them. They have a fantastic website that is easy to fall in love with. Other boat manufacturers could learn from Legend in that regard. Lowe also has a great website for boat research.

I think that it is important that you be true to the kind of fishing you are going to be doing now and in the future (meaning don't buy a good two person boat if you are going to have two kids, dig?). Don't buy an all weather, fish or die, 200 HP twenty footer, if you never leave the cottage on Pigeon lake. And keep in mind that the guy that is offering you the advice may have entirely different boat needs than do you.

Buy your boat show tickets now as they are $5.00 cheaper on-line now than they will be at the show.

Good Luck!

Jim

Edited by Radnine

If I remember correctly this boat is rated for 40hp max. The base package comes with a twenty.

Obviously a 90" beam console boat is going to cost more but the suggestion was made to have a look at the boat show to see what is being offered, when you take the Legend and add a motor that will do the job the basic skinny boat is 15 grand for a couple of grand more you may get a much better boat at the show.

I would hazzard a guess that most Legend customers who buy the package with the base motor are very disappionted by the performance.

In 2006 I got a 16-7" Navigator with a 90 Yammy 4 stroke with a GV trailer for under 20K

Prices should be better now given the economy and the improved Canadian dollar.

"If I remember correctly this boat is rated for 40hp max. The base package comes with a twenty."

Actually, this model is rated for up to 60hp, the base model is advertised (badly IMHO) with a 25. Yes, the 25 is to keep the price point down, etc., but if anyone bought this package with a 25 it would be VERY dissapointing unless all your fishing was done solo, and never filling the livewell. Also, it is a welded hull, which I personally like, but as mentioned in the above post, can have issues.

http://www.legendboats.com/en/view/boat/2009_16_xcite

Edited by Fisherpete

I had a 14 ft. Gruman Deep V with a 9.9 hp motor. Fished all over WV and fished from Niagara River to Owen Sound to James Bay and over in Quebec. Easy to tow and easy to launch. Caught a lot of fish with that 14 ft boat. Traded for a 16 ft Crestliner with a 40 hp. and my fishing changed. Harder to tow and Launch. Plus caught less fish. With the 14 ft Boat I was more in touch with the water and fish. Plus takes more gas to tow. Keep Your 14 ft Boat.

One other important thing to consider is the hull welded or rivets, after research I decided on rivets I just read too many stories of cracks on welded hulls.

"Also, it is a welded hull, which I personally like, but as mentioned in the above post, can have issues.

The hull on the Xcite has a lifetime warranty.

The hull on the Xcite has a lifetime warranty.

A lifetime warranty is fine and dandy but if there are issues with cracking the boat maybe in the shop for an extended time while you want to be out fishing, not saying it`s going to happen but something to consider.

When I did my research I read numerous horror stories from Tracker customers about cracked hulls and having to ship the boat back for repairs taking in some cases 2-3 months only to get the boat back and then have the same problems show up again and having to ship the boat back again.

A lifetime warranty is fine and dandy but if there are issues with cracking the boat maybe in the shop for an extended time while you want to be out fishing, not saying it`s going to happen but something to consider.

When I did my research I read numerous horror stories from Tracker customers about cracked hulls and having to ship the boat back for repairs taking in some cases 2-3 months only to get the boat back and then have the same problems show up again and having to ship the boat back again.

Then don't buy a welded boat from Tracker :)

Legend's been doing the welded hull thing for a few years (longer??). They move a lot of boats - I've never heard of them having a hull crack. I know of one that apparently didn't run true (factory defect) - they gave the guy a new boat.

My buddy worked at Duhamel & Dewar for a while. They used to keep a loaner boat or two on site (still do?) for when extended repairs/warranty work came in.

Edited by Northhunter

go with the highest HP you can, you will not regret it!

i cant stress that enough!

We bought that exact boat 2 summers ago, came with a 25hp and it was severly underpowered! We upgraded to a 50 within the first week and the 50 was sufficent enough to get you where you want to. Dad had a bit of an accident with the boat however and insurance gave us full value for it. since we had used the boat for a good month or so before they took it away we knew what we liked and what we didnt like. the side console sucked! man its a windy cold ride across simcoe mid May with not alot of wind protection! Since we had a chance to get a new boat we upgraded to the extreme. full windshield, top, side walls, litle deeper and little wider. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! weve had it for a year and a half and have put 470hours on it as of last august! I fish some big water, lake O Simcoe and GB and have had no issues at all with the extreme, where as the excite i know i wouldnt have gone out in half the water that id go out in the extreme in. if you can, spent the bit extra and get the comfort! makes your days so much more enjoyable!

i know a few folks who have & still do own Legends

you see alot out there on the water because they advertise them alot & they make them look relatively affordable and some folks feel good about buying "Canadian Made"

i guess it all depends just what you expect to get out of the boat & how often you plan to use

small/medium sized cottage lakes/rivers 5-6 months a yearand ya should be allright... but dont get one if you plan to use it 9-10 months a year or on the Great Lakes on a regular basis

go with the 40 ONLY if you plan on having yourself and 1 other passenger on board! We have the same 50 on our extreme as we did on our excite and with 3 guys on board it really has issues when there's a bit of a chop on the water! We get 30mph out of her and thats more than enough but the larger engine would really make a difference with the get up and go if your planning on fishing with friends. i refuse to take 4 guys out on ours just cause i know id have HUGE issues trying to get on plane . we dropped a pitch in prop and that helped out alot but then we put a 9.9 kicker on and that took out most the momentum. 2-3 guys is just perfect. I can launch here in ORO and boot over to willow beach or thorah island in 20 min or so on most days.

Edited by Meegs

So everyone get my situation I fish by myself alot due to being new to canada - my mate normally fish weekends - 2 or 3 in my little 14 foot DLX. We love this boat and get more muskie then anyone else up there (Maybe not???_ but we are smiling :)) -

i have a 4 and 7 year old so I think if i plan to upgrade again in 5 years so they can ski et all this should be enough.

I like the forum and I think that a 40 will power me enough (Majority of times) and will be enough when I bring my friends and they can pay the extra gas!

I am interested do all Mercs have PTO?