Ice report

jimmer

Well the lower end of Pigeon Lake has started to freeze over. I have heard that there are a few anglers itching to get out there and try the new panfish season. Not sure that the lower end will produce as it is very shallow in the winter and we don't have much luck with panfish in the fall in that area. I'm hoping to try north of Grenadier Island once it is safe. Anyone alse planning on trying that area?

No ice at the top end of Pigeon...just lots of whitecaps with the winds we are having...

The lagoon where we dock our boats was half open water and the other half looks like the wind has pushed a lot of slush in...

I sure hope that anglers avoid Gannons Narrows.

I think as long as people avoid going near the bridges where there is current they may do well over by the east side...don't know for sure as I've only fished open water at Gannons...

Any bets on which Kawartha lake claims the first ice fisherman? I figure by Jan. 3rd someone will go down for the count.

With that kind of thinking it's a wonder any angler ever survive's fishing a new body of water. I wonder jediangler how you have made it this far considering how "dangerous" fishing is. :huh:

Personally I use good judgement, look at maps ask questions and proceed with caution anytime I'm accessing new water, winter or summer.

Smart ass comments aside, it's exciting acessing new water to fish. Caution is used and lessons are learned to hopefully make it a fun day. The oppourtunity to fish these lakes in the winter is fanatstic. I realize that accidents can happen but they will everywhere people access new water regardless of the season. Ice anglers are some of the safest people out there, as we carry tools to check the ice depth.

Be safe and have fun.

If I put your rose coloured glasses on Michael I see no one going out on the ice too early, no one drinking while ice-fishing, no one leaving their garbage behind on the ice, everyone wearing their survival suits and ice-picks, everyone checking ice thickness on lakes never before fished, nobody keeping any walleye, no one trespassing on private property for access and no drowning deaths this winter in the Kawarthas.

I have to take the glasses off now they're giving me a headache.

I wish everyone a safe winter season but I'm a realist at heart.

By the way my bets on Sturgeon lake.

Well we will have to agree to disagree. I will keep my rose coloured glasses because I like them better than the dark ones that only see negative.

I hope people enjoy the new oppourtunies with their family and friends. Spend time angling with their children in this great region and have a safe and happy winter.

If I put your rose coloured glasses on Michael I see no one going out on the ice too early, no one drinking while ice-fishing, no one leaving their garbage behind on the ice, everyone wearing their survival suits and ice-picks, everyone checking ice thickness on lakes never before fished, nobody keeping any walleye, no one trespassing on private property for access and no drowning deaths this winter in the Kawarthas.

I have to take the glasses off now they're giving me a headache.

I wish everyone a safe winter season but I'm a realist at heart.

By the way my bets on Sturgeon lake.

Well said...

Wait till people bring their trucks out there :stretcher:

What makes the Kawartha's any more dangerous than say.....simcoe?

Icefishing is dangerous, anywhere you go. Lose touch with common sense and good judgment, and people die in the best of conditions.

Looking at this opportunity as a manner of killing people is wacked if you ask me. Placing bets is just sick!!

S.

Guest steel'n'esox

It doesnt matter which lake you ice fish people take risks, are uninformed, or are jacked up on good ole Whisky or maybe a little cheeb to boot, as they say know your limit play within it, If people can loose vehicles in Temagami theyll loose them in the Kawarthas as well, if there stupid enough to take a vehicle out on the ice, at least keep the doors open for a quick exit. Cant wait for the new fishin opportunities, with lakes like eels and anstruther etc been closed in 1986 for a five year period to see if populations build guess what 23 years later there still closed? Maybe more opportunities will generate more licences and more revenue for the government to put in the general kiddy to pave roads etc :o

I have been speaking with a lot of the "yocals" in the area over the past few years.....

It seems they all say the same thing.

You REALLY have to be careful out on Pigeon as there are some really crazy spots with bad current.

I understand that most lakes have crazy current "zones" but I would imagine Pigeon etc isnt that well travelled in the winter............

I know there are a lot of sledders but I personally havent had ANY experience out on this lake in the winter.

SO....... I think Im gonna tak'er nice and easy and cautiously do some more homework before I venture out.

Meely :santa:

What makes the Kawartha's any more dangerous than say.....simcoe?

there is current in a lot of areas on the kawarthas and since ice fishn is a new thing on the lakes, many people may not be aware of these areas.

Looking at this opportunity as a manner of killing people is wacked if you ask me. Placing bets is just sick!!

S.

Gotta agree with you Shayne. I just find it classless and disturbing. We all know the risks and the unfortunate things that can/will happen. But to make a game of it. Not my style thank you.