Ice report

jimmer

I have set up a rink over one of my favourite fishing holes in the past three winters. We love it up there - is it risky - maybe - before I sent the kids out I did the work and drilled some holes to see. I waited to feb so I guess I tried to limit the risk.

Please take your garbage with you, have a beer at my place afterwards and cook and share the fish at my place'

John C

Gotta agree with you Shayne. I just find it classless and disturbing. We all know the risks and the unfortunate things that can/will happen. But to make a game of it. Not my style thank you.

try not to ruffle your feathers crappiePH....

sometimes jokes are just meant to be jokes.. :oops:

Obviously nobody wants anyone to lose their life..

Edited by Shore_Lunch

Every year when the ice starts to form there's a discussion on this board about folks pushing their luck and heading onto the ice too early and somebody going thru & drowning.....EVERY year.

Jediangler is a good guy and I doubt he was trying to stir anybodies pot, it's just that folks are now going to be heading onto the Kawartha ice for the 1st time, in unfamiliar territory, and as mentioned by Raf, there's ALOT of current in some of the areas that will keep the ice thin while it looks good on top.

New water.....new dangers

I sure hope that anglers avoid Gannons Narrows.

If you wanna fish the narrows at any time of year, you'll need a boat...it never freezes over, open water all winter.

Some people must think that since there has never been fishing through the ice around here, noone has ever been on it. If you drive across the causeway on Chemong, you'll see that the lake is very busy all winter long with everything except ice fishing, most years there is an "ice-road" on Chemong from the causeway all the way to Curve Lake.

As long as I've lived here, there have been very few, if any, cases of people or vehicles going through the ice and trust me, there are lots of vehicles out there every year. It's not just fishermen who use the ice. Sure there are lots of places to avoid due to current. such as Gannons Narrows, but if people excersise caution and common sense (I know, I know...it's not so common anymore) you'll be fine.

As Michael said, ice-fishermen are some of the safest people on the ice. There will always be "yahoos" who push the envelope but you don't need a fishing season to bring them out of the woodwork.

My guess is the first drowning you hear of on the Kawarthas this year, if there are any, won't be a fisherman.

The ice has always been here and people have always been using it for fun and transportation, just that now we get to drill a few holes and hopefully pull a few fish through them.

try not to ruffle your feathers crappiePH....

sometimes jokes are just meant to be jokes.. :oops:

Obviously nobody wants anyone to lose their life..

No feathers ruffled here....I would rather focus on the positives this new opportunity brings all of us rather then the negatives...that's all.

Everybody play safe and enjoy there time on the hardwater this winter. I know I'm just ITCHING to get out :)

I'll be out on the water for a last Muskie hunt all weekend here on the Mighty O....good luck Wayne ;)

Good luck to you out there, Steve. Stay safe out there.

Well......good old Mother Nature put a dent in my Muskie Hunt overnight and it's now time to put the gear away until next June :(

Here's a pic from Friday and what I woke up to today :wallbash:

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

There's even the odd pressure crack!!

IMG_0079.jpg

Be safe out there folks!!!

Steve

I bought a new 6" hand auger at BPS today. Punched a few holes just off shore in my bay, already a good 5" of ice. Hopefully the snow stays away and we can get some good ice building weather. Buckhorn is frozen over as far as I can see as of yesterday morning.

14 Dec 2009...Cloudy and visibility poor...+1*C

Took a look out over the north end of Tait's Bay this afternoon...Looks like ice but mostly slush...In the first picture that is Hurricane Point way out near the center...In the second picture Hurricane Point is over on the left:

IceYet14Dec2009001.jpg

IceYet14Dec2009002.jpg

With the cold temps expected in the next few days it should firm up in time for New Years Day 2010...

I will take more pics later in the week and next week...

15 Dec 2009...Sunny and clear -2*C

Just got back from grocery shopping in town...I noticed the area out beyond Hurricane Point (south shore of Tait's Bay is open water...considering that would be the natural flow of the current in the lake I wasn't suprised...

Edited by Beans

20 December 2009...Ice update

Same two pics as taken above on the 14th dec 09 only no slush anywhere...

IceYet20Dec2009001.jpg

IceYet20Dec2009002.jpg

Note toboggan tracks out to a skating rink the neighborhood kids cleared:

IceYet20Dec2009003.jpg

I wandered over to our beach area and chopped a hole about 15 feet off shore...found a good five inches of ice over 3 fow (notice spud sitting on bottom) so I'll guess we will be good to go on 1st January 2010 barring any severe thawing... ;)

IceYet20Dec2009004.jpg

On my way back to my truck I saw a guy walking in from behind the island in the second picture...he sez there is pretty well a uniform 5 inches of ice all over the area he walked...

Once we get a foot or more of ice, finding a place to drive on will be the next challenge...

Edited by Beans

Once we get a foot or more of ice, finding a place to drive on will be the next challenge...

I hear ya Beans, I keep hoping to run into the guy who plows our road so I can ask him to keep our rough boat launch at the end of the road clear of any snow banks.

I walked halfway out into the bay today, drilled a bunch of holes all about 6".

On Thursday I saw some snowmobile tracks on Chemong by the causeway already. A little dicy there I would imagine, It's only been frozen over about a week. The ice in front of my place has been there almost three weeks.

On my way back to my truck I saw a guy walking in from behind the island in the second picture...he sez there is pretty well a uniform 5 inches of ice all over the area he walked...

Thx for the update Beansie. There a good chance the crappies & gills might not be to far from that skating rink :whistling:

I'm really looking forward to Kawartha ice. Sounds good for Jan 1st.