best line to use for a center pin reel?

GBW

Hey all.

So I got a okuma aventa vt1002 from Rick (dizzydevel) the other day and I needed to take it from a right hand to a left and I messed up... I was going to use the line he had on but with the kid's party I wasn't paying full attention to how I was peeling the line off soooo needless to say I trashed it... So now I'm in need of some new line. what do most of you float folks use? Heck, I was going to go get some trilene xl 8lb but wasn't sure if there was/is something else I should be looking for.

Also, anyone care to show this newb how to use this set up in real time on a river? Rick was going to show me how to cast but I had to bail on him to get my trunk load of stuff home for my son's birthday party... thanks.

Geoff

Trilene XT is great... I've used 8lb before without issue. Alot of new guys to the game like using the floating line, I know I did. It's a bit harder to cast and isn't the greatest in the dead of winter, but it really does help you keep the slack out of your line etc...

I'd just spool it up with cheap stuff, get used to the rig then maybe start experimenting.. One thing at a time!

I'd just spool it up with cheap stuff, get used to the rig then maybe start experimenting.. One thing at a time!

See, that's what I was thinking right there. Thanks Bill.

I have a spool of 8lb ice line i was even thinking of toying with but I guess reg mono should be best for this newb.

Been using Raven mono since 2002 and I’ve been loving it. Raven 10lb in green or smoke is my line of choice to spool the pin with. I find 6-8lb Raven stretches too much and digs in after a battle with a big fish or a log). Around $12 for 1000 yards and I normally only spool up once in the spring and once in the fall – I get out 3-6 times a week (spring/winter/fall) depending on my schedule so I go through a fair bit of line snipping off to re-rig for different pools, etc. Never had a problem with abrasion or breakages. Tried Siglon V and Siglon F (I think…The hi-vis one) a number of times and I just kept losing floats to snags and breaking off on fish (even small shakers) even with a 4lb leader. Prior to switching over to Raven, I used Maxima Ultragreen in 8lb and it was a great line – No complaints.

6 lb floro suffix,and a frog hair leader.I switched over recently and what difference it made with my raven rod.First time using floro and worth every dime.Save yourself the stress over lines.Ive lost a lot less tackle with it on my float reel.Floro or a good ande tournmet line.

Right now I have Sufix Pro Mix on my JW Young, and Gamma Copolymer on the Stanton. The Sufix I like, but the Gamma seems to twist up more and wrap around the rod tip.

Historically I used Ande for everything, but it is getting more difficult to find...

Burt :)

From what I know, avoid Flurocarbon as main line, due to their tendency to sink faster. But do use Flurocarbon as leader!

I've been using Trilene Sensation 8lb for the past 2 years with my Okuma Aventa. :thumbsup_anim: both price and value.

Remember to not over-spool!

For many years I used 8 pound Ande and it worked great.

Since I moved west I have gone to 12 pound Raven because of the heavier flowing rivers.

But...they have the same diameter and likely the same breaking strength LOL!

I'm a big fan of 12lb Raven in the green colour myself.

12 # sig ... You will never loose a float/shot line again

Different strokes.

I stopped using it because of countless breakage issues.

It's very soft and supple as well. Personally I prefer a bit coarser line on the pin, I find it handles easier, is less prone to tangling and is more resistant to the constant sliding around of split shot as I'm adjusting my rig.

Supple line tends to bruise more easily.

Trilene XT is great... I've used 8lb before without issue. Alot of new guys to the game like using the floating line, I know I did. It's a bit harder to cast and isn't the greatest in the dead of winter, but it really does help you keep the slack out of your line etc...

I'm using #8 Siglon F and it's not bad. I bulk up on leftovers for backing and connect the lines with a clean blood knot, and use maybe 60-70 yds of the siglon as the running line.. Like you said, it creates less drag on those long drifts because the line stays on top of the water... But even with a micro swivel above the float, I still get tons of line twist, but that's probably from side casting... I'm also finding myself having to constantly make sure the line is securely on the spool before I start spinning... If you're not careful, the line ends up looping around the handles and not the spool!! This is a huge pain and when that line on the handles falls off all at once, then the curses really ensue!!

What line should I graduate to when I'm not a newbie, oh lord master ruler of the pin Bill??

cheers

HD

Solo has touched on my prefernece for line on a center pin. For me the line needs to be wirey, stiff with low/no memory. A line that wants to spring up and run off the reel. Soft, supple stretchy lines are a poor choice in my opinion.

Find a stiff wirey line a minimum of 2lb greater than the heaviest leaders you use and you're all set.

I don't think it much matters what line you use on a centerpin as long as it is limp enough to come off the spool easily adn stiff enough that tangles ar at a minimum. All the above lines that have been suggested are good. My preference is 4kg Ande hi-vis green and low vis green.

All my reels are half filled with 12 lb dacron from Cabelas. The diameter of the dacron is about the same as the 4kg Ande. I have yet to be spooled to the dacron, but you never know. I use two back to back Uni Knots to join the backing to the mono. I then fill the rest of the reel with Ande mono. Float is always on the mainline.

I prefer a tapered leader set up when conditions are tough. I use the heaviest floro leader that I can get away with. I use mostly Raven floro, but the tippet end can be any variety of brands that I buy that season. I use the Orvis tippet knot to join mainline to leader and to join sections of leader material. The Ovis knot for flies and bait has been my most consistent and easy to use knot. I use sticky weight (tungsten moldable weight) more often than a shot pattern. I find if the weight hangs up I can usually pull it free as it very flexable. Often it will come back barely attached to the leader. I just mold it back on the leader and I'm good to go.

muddler

I don't think it much matters what line you use on a centerpin as long as it is limp enough to come off the spool easily adn stiff enough that tangles ar at a minimum. All the above lines that have been suggested are good. My preference is 4kg Ande hi-vis green and low vis green.

All my reels are half filled with 12 lb dacron from Cabelas. The diameter of the dacron is about the same as the 4kg Ande. I have yet to be spooled to the dacron, but you never know. I use two back to back Uni Knots to join the backing to the mono. I then fill the rest of the reel with Ande mono. Float is always on the mainline.

I prefer a tapered leader set up when conditions are tough. I use the heaviest floro leader that I can get away with. I use mostly Raven floro, but the tippet end can be any variety of brands that I buy that season. I use the Orvis tippet knot to join mainline to leader and to join sections of leader material. The Ovis knot for flies and bait has been my most consistent and easy to use knot. I use sticky weight (tungsten moldable weight) more often than a shot pattern. I find if the weight hangs up I can usually pull it free as it very flexable. Often it will come back barely attached to the leader. I just mold it back on the leader and I'm good to go.

muddler

I've never been spooled down to the backing either.

Many reels have ridiculously deep spools and half filling them with dacron adds a lot of unnecessary weight.

An excellent alternative is to buy a cheap 4wt level fly line and load it on the reel first.

It weighs nothing and acts as an arbor.

Put your mono on top and away you go.