Superiour and St Marys Steel

TDunn

The weather here in the Soo was warm but now has extremely cooled off. Earlier in the week we had light flurries/rain mix. The tribs have been dead as I think most have packed it in for the season. Perfect! The spawn bite has been great but since we got the cold snap I have been using plastics regularly under my float. The trib I fished mon/tues afternoon was low and very clear but produced bites both afternoons. Nice fish in the 22-23 inch range were caught...

121.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

118.jpg

127.jpg

I had a family member remind me they wanted a fresh rainbow trout and I needed some fresh roe as I was runnin low so i kept this nice hen that had a plump belly on her. A healthy 25 inches..

789.jpg

a heck of a lot of shakers....Been catching tons up north this year......

114.jpg

The St. Marys has been freezing but worth it. Downrigging has been producing the big bites and bouncing roe passes the time usually connecting with the smaller fish. We have been successful on every outing the past 2 weeks in the boat catching steelhead, cohos and a few OOS species. Two fish broke us off this week and they will haunt me for a few more days but i'll get over it! :lol: Typical afternoons in the boat yielded about 4 hook ups with quality fish.

Today

790.jpg

Few days ago

092.jpg

My cousin Teds PB St Marys Steelie (Who is a new member and hasnt made a post yet :o )

untitled28.jpg

untitled30.jpg

His friends first ever St Marys Steel (caught today)

787.jpg

The cohos have still been active as Pikie had mentioned to me. Thanks for the pin man...I love it!!!!

Typical ugly late fall ho...gross

791.jpg

I like em a bit better when they look like this

094.jpg

Most of the females we have been landing have not spawned yet. To my surprise they are still supporting fat bellies full of eggs. Im not sure if I will be back in boat this year but I will be hitting the tribs or rapids again.

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

good stuff. definitely a lot of shakers north of the sault with a few fish in the upper year classes and few in between.

i've been using some small plastics recently as well, often as a roe followup when i get a good hit or bag crushed. often it's a small exude worm or this year i've started using a lot of crappie jigs under the float.

looking like saturday's gonna be a colld one on the tribs.

Right on!

Almost makes me want to hop in my car and drive up there.

Do that sometime in june/july.....Put you on some atlantics Solo...

this year i've started using a lot of crappie jigs under the float.

I've also become very fond of the micro tubes.....Surprised me to tell you the least....

Nice bunch of fish. What are you towing on the riggers?

Both spoons and minnow baits. Each day the lures have changed. Pretty much just been switching lures until we started to get onto something.

Can't wait til Christmas. I'll be out in the rapids. You me and the Doc should have a subzero pin session.

Ya man that could be a blast!

Nice fish Tyler! Those steelies ar Bea-utiful! i cant wait to get back out, im planin to hit the raps tomarrow lol!!

Wish I could but I have to work in the AM and then its the first Xmas party of the year for me tomorrow evening....I might try the rapids sometime early next week if the weather is descent.

Thanks for all the nice responses!

Hey All just joined the board and am up here in Nipigon my wife and i just recently moved here from Thunder Bay (me i'm from the east coast salt water) We love it here. the marina is about 2 min from our house and we are quite avid fisherpeople hiking , boating and hard water When we moved here the was no bait shop so we decided it would be a great idea to open one

We recieved this thread from a friend and the pics and topics are right up our alley

I"ll post a few pics of fish from the Nip once i figure it out :mellow::huh::D

till then cheers Chuck and Linda

n503551890_2379171_344711.jpg

n503551890_2379171_344711.jpg

Edited by The Rock