Trout and Salmon on Topwaters

ped

My initial reaction would be no, as they tend to be near the bottom.

However, last week one took a swipe at my float... It has the teeth marks on it to prove it.

:blink: sound promising but im still not sure yet

Top water steelhead…Hell Yeah!!!

For me it’s my holy grail of fishing. I’ve been blessed to have caught 1 3-4lb chrome steelhead on a dry fly (my only fish ever caught on a dry fly). I’ve also fished for them subsurface a foot or two with original rapalas as well as the jointed model in fast current - Watching them wake behind your lure as you retrieve it in is an insane rush. Like all things fishing, it’s dependant on weather and seasonal conditions (something I’m still learning myself after 7-8yrs of trying for topwater steelhead). I give surface fishing a try once or twice a year either with the fly rod or with lures…I don’t have the sheer dedication to pursue it all the time – It’s definitely not a numbers thing but it does happen to those who are persistent.

Top water steelhead…Hell Yeah!!!

For me it’s my holy grail of fishing. I’ve been blessed to have caught 1 3-4lb chrome steelhead on a dry fly (my only fish ever caught on a dry fly). I’ve also fished for them subsurface a foot or two with original rapalas as well as the jointed model in fast current - Watching them wake behind your lure as you retrieve it in is an insane rush. Like all things fishing, it’s dependant on weather and seasonal conditions (something I’m still learning myself after 7-8yrs of trying for topwater steelhead). I give surface fishing a try once or twice a year either with the fly rod or with lures…I don’t have the sheer dedication to pursue it all the time – It’s definitely not a numbers thing but it does happen to those who are persistent.

Crazy eh?

I tried skating some surface patterns this spring in the low gin conditions with hungry droppies. I got a couple to follow but I couldnt get them to commit!

I wouldn't get to excited about top water steelhead :)

Yup, an exercise in futility.

Doesn't stop me from trying when I've had my fill of serious steelheading for the spring. I also got a couple stripping a huge zonker minnow this spring!

I beleive the late Lee Wulff used to catch Atlantics on dry flies at times and they are not unlike our steelhead.

My best bet is that he would have used the Lee Wulff pattterns of dry flies, bushy high riders, often variations of existing patterns. For those inclined to try for steelies on a dry fly I would investigate his techniques. When I was a teen the man was a living legend, remember old B&W TV shows featuring his exploits with very short fly rods.