Shot pattern set-up depth

Eazy

I have a 14 foot rod, I can run up to about 14 feet(13 better) with out it dragging on the ground and cast it. but prefer a slip float for deeper then that. but then again, I cant get the darn rubber line float stopper to get through my tip top guides on my cast with the float rod, any other spinning rod your fine. so yes you can fish 15+ with a Slip Float setup

I'm not a trout guy, but I've used slip floats for bass, walleye and crappie in 15+ FOW with a spinning outfit. I'm not trying to be a smartass but why couldn't you do the same with a float rod? I know nothing about that kind of fishing so I'm curious to learn a little about it.

I have a 14 foot rod, I can run up to about 14 feet(13 better) with out it dragging on the ground and cast it. but prefer a slip float for deeper then that. but then again, I cant get the darn rubber line float stopper to get through my tip top guides on my cast with the float rod, any other spinning rod your fine. so yes you can fish 15+ with a Slip Float setup

That kind of answers my question. Sorry...I didn't read that before my post.

I'm not a trout guy, but I've used slip floats for bass, walleye and crappie in 15+ FOW with a spinning outfit. I'm not trying to be a smartass but why couldn't you do the same with a float rod? I know nothing about that kind of fishing so I'm curious to learn a little about it.

well, speaking for myself. my tip top guide on my rod is so small, on a gentle centerpin cast i cant get the rubber float stopper to glide through the top guide. on lakes with my spinning rod, i could set it at any depth 100+feet.know what i mean. larger guides, deeper water.. plus on rivers. even the niagara with my float rod, 12 foot depth is all i use from shore.. thats all you need, cast into a seam, hold it for a couple seconds, let it drift, and BAM.

Can be fun to watch a guy try and land a fish with a 15ft lead(myself included). Especially when they have little or no room to move.

As for the float stop, try using a piece of spinnerbait rubber skirt, one or two grannies and it will usually fit through the tip eyes on float rods.

Edited by Harrison

Can be fun to watch a guy try and land a fish with a 15ft lead(myself included). Especially when they have little or no room to move.

As for the float stop, try using a piece of spinnerbait rubber skirt, one or two grannies and it will usually fit through the tip eyes on float rods.

Its funner watching a guy try to pull a 10lb steelie out of the water 90 degrees straight up with a 6'6 spinning rod and 8lb line and then subsequently watching him fall into the river and watching his friends laugh at him as the steelie swims away doing jumps into the sunset.

Edited by Ultyma316

Just what I was thinking as I read the original post - stop knot diagram.... http://www.pacgb.co.uk/tips/stopknot.html

Braided type lines seem best for this , what I do is carry a small dispenser of dental floss in my float fishing vest, it is handy and works well. Haven't come to any firm conclusion about whether the waxed or unwaxed is better. Also , The tip of my float rod, I wound a guide on it as opposed to a regular tip top for the increased diameter, this was a common practice at one time.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

been fishing a very deep hole, the edges of it anyways. been using a drennan piker or a drennan zeppler. both work well in deep runs. just remember, the fish are more likely to be on the edge of that deep, swift current than right in the middle of it.

Braided type lines seem best for this , what I do is carry a small dispenser of dental floss in my float fishing vest, it is handy and works well. Haven't come to any firm conclusion about whether the waxed or unwaxed is better. Also , The tip of my float rod, I wound a guide on it as opposed to a regular tip top for the increased diameter, this was a common practice at one time.

Agreed - although if you have to use monofilament then leaving longer tags helps the knot through the rings. I've used dental floss for all sorts of things too - un-waxed frays easily at the ends but is more flexible so waxed is probably better for stop knots :blink:

if your guides are small and the rubber stops are a pain, you can use 65lbpower pro and just tie a uni know, wrap it like 10 times and it holds mainline well. They sell the little pre-tied slip ons too. I like bright colored dacron because I want to be able to see it against the float. Soemtimes a slip float will get a groove and the line will catch it, you won't see it if you can't see you float stopper.

P.S. I've run deep pools with a fixed float and IMO, the slip float is much easier to use.

Cheers

RR

Suppose you come to a pool, that is appoximately 15+', is it possible to fish this with a float set-up, or should you utilize other techniques such as bottom bouncing?

You should be able to but I would ask the Life guard first and see if I can actually fish in his POOL