Homemade wood stove

wetsneakers

Last winter, on the Bay of Quinte, I got bored (happens way too often eh?) and went for a stroll to see if anyone was doing any better. Not only did I return to my hut a little heartened knowing I wasn't the only one getting skunked, I also learned a small wood stove can be made out of 2 old paint cans screwed end to end (one end of one can cut out obviously). Very simple and yet, according to the owners, provides plenty of heat for 3 hours with one fireplace log. "Perfect!" I thought.

Problem: I can't recall what they used for exhaust pipe or the hole insulation at the roof opening.

I looked at 4" dia hvac pipe, but it just seems too large for the job. I also looked at automotive exhaust pipe and while being a good size, it's darn heavy! I continue to draw a blank for forming the hole in the fabric roof of my shanty.

Got any ideas?

I'll post pics as this project takes form.

Thanks all,

wet

Oh sure there's always go to the store and buy a pre-made heater. Problem with those is they give up their life when you exactly don't want them to and you're forever juggling with fuel containers. They also don't hold the quiet charm of open flame. Also, a wood stove provides a distraction from killing yourself from boredom. Last but not least there's the weight issue - I usually hike out onto the ice as part of the outing.

Dryer vent tube is the same size as HVAC ducting, but evestrough might do the trick. How to vent it through the roof . . .

Also, a wood stove provides a distraction from killing yourself from boredom. Last but not least there's the weight issue - I usually hike out onto the ice as part of the outing.

Dryer vent tube is the same size as HVAC ducting, but evestrough might do the trick. How to vent it through the roof . . .

If you are using a portable with a cloth cover, bad move. Does not take much for the fabric to melt.

As for weight. How is the portable Mr heater too cumbersome. You will now be carrying stove and pipe, plus wood/ coal for a day on the ice.

If you have a solid hut. Do yourself a favour and buy a portable acorn hunting stove. Or a military tent stove, if you are serious about going that route.

If you are using a portable with a cloth cover, bad move. Does not take much for the fabric to melt.

As for weight. How is the portable Mr heater too cumbersome. You will now be carrying stove and pipe, plus wood/ coal for a day on the ice.

If you have a solid hut. Do yourself a favour and buy a portable acorn hunting stove. Or a military tent stove, if you are serious about going that route.

I'd really prefer to not argue the merits of this project. If you're convinced I'm walking down the wrong path just shake your head and walk away. I might look like an idiot, but . . . my fabric hut is non-flamable and I intend to somehow insulate where the pipe passes through the roof. The 2 empty paint cans, small stand and 5 feet of aluminium evestrough will weigh what 1 pound maybe? The fire log (when using one) is where all the weight comes from, but even then it will have a great advantage over any propane tank and heater.

Maybe this isn't you. That's fine. I really enjoy combining some physical exercise with ice fishing which is why I prefer to hike out onto the ice, but if you've ever done it you know that you need a warm place to dry off after a work-out or hypothermia will come take you away. This can also be a problem when, like me, a motor is absent on your auger. Secondly, as stated, the quiet open flame is prefered to the hissing of a propane heater. Thirdly, I often fish on smaller lakes where the fuel can be found 100 feet away on shore. Fourth I intend for this set-up to be useful for winter camping.

maybe a 5' length of 2" id light wall aluminum pipe. You don'r need much of a pipe to draw off of a paint can.

You could use it as a handle for your sleigh while walking out.

Wrap a bit of fire blanket material around it where it passes through the tent. Weld a hook on to hold the tent in place

I can apreciate the Les Stroud approach LOL..

What ever you use for the chimney just make sure you use it in advance outdoors, not in your shelter..

The fumes comming off the a burning can or painted eves trough piping could be pretty toxic?

Cleaning it out and burning it clean before you try it in an enclosed tent might not be a bad idea

Cheers,

I'd really prefer to not argue the merits of this project. If you're convinced I'm walking down the wrong path just shake your head and walk away. I might look like an idiot, but . . . my fabric hut is non-flamable and I intend to somehow insulate where the pipe passes through the roof. The 2 empty paint cans, small stand and 5 feet of aluminium evestrough will weigh what 1 pound maybe? The fire log (when using one) is where all the weight comes from, but even then it will have a great advantage over any propane tank and heater.

Maybe this isn't you. That's fine. I really enjoy combining some physical exercise with ice fishing which is why I prefer to hike out onto the ice, but if you've ever done it you know that you need a warm place to dry off after a work-out or hypothermia will come take you away. This can also be a problem when, like me, a motor is absent on your auger. Secondly, as stated, the quiet open flame is prefered to the hissing of a propane heater. Thirdly, I often fish on smaller lakes where the fuel can be found 100 feet away on shore. Fourth I intend for this set-up to be useful for winter camping.

Seems like you enjoy collecting wood and messing around with an unsafe homemade wood stove more than actually fishing. The advice given is to drop this idea and pick up simple propane heater (eg. Mr. Heater) because they are more efficient and easy to use – it’s a no brainer. Like Big Uggs’ implied, if you want to go down this route, than make one (or buy one) that is meant for this type of usage, and not MacGyver one out of trash that you don’t have a clue what they are made of and the possible re-action under flame and intense heat. The Mr. Heater products are durable, super easy to use, and light weight….why bash it if you haven’t used it? If you are concerned about running out of propane, then run one through a 20LB tank which would last you the entire season, or use it to re-fill the 1lb canisters. Personally when I’m out on the ice I’d rather be fishing than fumbling around with things. Good luck.

I guess my take on the whole thing is that if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question. You can not ask a forum like this to post only those answers that you might want to hear!

Obviously from your response you would not particularly like to hear my $0.02 on the subject....................

I guess my take on the whole thing is that if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question. You can not ask a forum like this to post only those answers that you might want to hear!

Obviously from your response you would not particularly like to hear my $0.02 on the subject....................

Opinions are fine. As long as they truthfully consider the subject. Suggestions such as using a 20 lb tank miss the mark completely. Anyone can go to the store and buy something. Anyone can buy a sled or ATV and then drag whatever they want out wherever they want. Something completely different, and obviously foreign in concept to most here, is what's being considered.

Theres a reason people don't market stoves made out of paint can material.

If you look here no one is raining on your McGyver parade, it seems the suggestion that it may not be safe is a common theme.

I snowshoe many km to fish without a shack, anyone can park their car and pull a shack out.

Use an old 10lb propane tank with a door cut in. Cut a hole in the top for 3" ACTUAL nested stovepipe. Make an adjustable hole for a damper. Then cut wood to fit.

Opinions are fine. As long as they truthfully consider the subject. Suggestions such as using a 20 lb tank miss the mark completely. Anyone can go to the store and buy something. Anyone can buy a sled or ATV and then drag whatever they want out wherever they want. Something completely different, and obviously foreign in concept to most here, is what's being considered.

Ok then, based on your way of thinking why don’t you ice fish with a twig and braided animal hair, or hone a stick and spear your catch?

Instead of wearing a winter jacket or float suit, why don’t you rock animal hides that you had harvested by your own hands earlier that morning? Actually that would make for a great TV show…. I think you may be onto something here…. Make sure you light the fire with flint and stone, cause matches are way too simple and easy to use for you.

But seriously make your contraption and report your results. Then see how much use you can get out of a paint can wood stove, and how reliable it is, how much weight it’ll be, how well it retains heat ect… I’d hate to see your reaction when you are in the middle of no where and your only source of heat falls apart because it is made of inferior materials all because you didn’t heed the advice from several more established OFNers than I. You’ll surely feel different then! All the luck to you!!!

It has nothing to do with saving money. The man wants to build something. Learning how to build something and exploring ways of making it more efficient is how we learn things. It gives us a sense of accomplishment. I think he knows about the hazards /safety issues and a few posters to the thread have given him tips on that.

Good luck on the project, Wetsneakers and please, once it's done, would you kindly post a picture(s) of how you built it and what it looks like. Thanks.

There are some dandy folding metal stoves that you can buy. On top of that, they are not expensive and fold flat for easy transport. "Update"!!.... I did a search on the internet and could not find a cheap collapsible wood stove. The one's I saw were quite expensive. However, I have seen some in stores in my area in the past but I did not look at them in detail.

For stove pipe, you can buy 3 inch stove pipe anywhere.

To make the hole through the wall of the tent, cut out a square from the tent but keep the material in case you want to repair the hole someday. After the square hole is cut out, buy a small sheet of metal that is a bit larger than the hole. Then buy snaps....you know those snaps that are used on tarps to hold them in place like the snaps that hold the tarps on a boat. This way, when the tent is set up, you just snap the thin metal sheet in place and push the stove pipe through the hole you make in the then metal sheet. A thin metal sheet 15 inches x 15 inches would be fine. You can make a round metal sheet in a round hole in the tent too....if you want to be fancy.

Search the internet for other small tent stoves. I saw one made out of a mail box. A mail box only costs about 15 dollars.

I'm sure that you could even make a small stove that would be large enough to store the 3 inch stove pipes inside. Yes....it would be bulky but it would be light.

Edited by Dabluz

Another Idea

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/ne...ouse-stove.html

Who Hoo- finally got a post in, too bad I cant give my opinion about Kerams post. Hum made three attempts and no bashing. Oh I get it, it must be opposite of their opinions. Ill stay on Mod Q because Ill never brown nose.

Edited by holdfast

Seems to me the best idea would be to figure out some kind of containment device that would also serve as a carrier for dry stuff you are hauling to the holes or to carry the fish out. That part is pretty easy - a pail of some sort. The flu is a whole nuther issue. There must be some data available somewhere as to optimal diameter to get the right draw off a certain volume of burning vessel without creating a blast furnace or a CO maker. Ideally something of an accordian nature or something rigid that will double as a travois frame for the hike out onto the ice. The latter might be easier. The insulating collar shouldn't be too difficult to come up with or too heavy to carry. Two flat pieces of light metal which will form into a pair of concentric cirlces with enough space between to house some kind of insulation. Dunno what's best for that but I'd be checking out what's in the insulated steel stove pipes commercially available. A little fabricating work should result in a notched flanged rig that can be flattened out and will fit a hole in the hut roof and kept in place by gravity(???) or duct tape if the flanges are sufficently long. The heat output from the pipe shouldn't be too extreme with a small firebox.

That's a fun little project. If I wasn't living in a damned condo apartment I'd be doing some experimenting myself. I'm afraid some of my neighbours might get a tad testy if I start burning minilogs on my balcony here. It's not like I'm doing something socially acceptable like smoking rank tobacco that rises to all the open windows above.

Let us know if you come up with a solution. The DIY ice fishermen of the worl will love you.

JF

I've seen it done before on Nipissing quite impressive if you ask me !!! :thumbsup_anim:

The guy used 5 gallon steel pail on legs {about the same size as 2 paint cans } Chimney 2 1/2 " automotive flex pipe...... for the roof exhaust the guy used an aluminum dryer vent and removed the flap and had it coming out the side of his shack on a 45* so the snow wouldn't come in........ he had it all welded together along with some muffler clamps... the lower parts of the walls were insulated with foil covered styro-foam.

Instead of screwing them together I'd try to weld them together or get a 5 gallon steel can and start from there

most lids already have a large hole on top to work with for an exhaust.

YOU WILL SUCCEED !!!!! Draw up a blueprint........ sometimes it's easier to work out on paper.

Co2 detectors are cheap at CTC ;)

Good luck with the project!!!

RFS

:canadian:

BRING ON THE ICE!!!

The original question was for a tiny, light, portable stove to heat a one man hut with fabric walls. A tiny stove that will work with wood instead of propane.

In any event, I have used a number of propane heaters and even a kerosene heater (catalytic style) while camping in a tent in early winter and the small wood stove was the one that heated up the tent the best.

Edited by Dabluz

I built a paint can BBQ / Heater last winter.

I took a single paint can, punched holes in it around the bottom 1 inch for air vents and then put in about 4 screws evenly distributed about 2 inches up from the bottom. I punched holes in the lid for air vents and bent the can a little so I could fit the lid inside. The lid rested on the screws to provide a false bottom. I then filled it up with charcoal and presto, a hand warmer and bbq. I used it in the open and it failed miserabley. The wind blew away any heat generated and I couldnt boil water or cook hotdogs! perhaps with a wind guard or inside it may have worked better.

I also agree with burning it outside first to get rid of the chemicals. I also like the idea of building my own as a fun side project.

I would like to see pictures of your product upon completion aswell. Also, I would show you pics of my contraption but I threw it away after its first use. The mailbox, BBQ/stove pictured above looks pretty good to me. Maybe thats the ticket.

I imagine that too much heat would probably warp and possibly melt anything made of thin guage material or aluminum so its probably a good idea to get it good and hot outside for that reason too.

good luck!

we used to take a tin can, fill it half with sand, add naptha, presto emergency heater or hand warmer. Heated our trench with a ground sheet over top quite well. If you got the Naptha. Wetneakers, let me know what you come up with. I like seasonal projects. Ill be working on a 12 ft Alum Boat Cart, strong enough to hand tow the boat and 9.9.