Canadian Fishing Community Survey

Roninramirez

done

btw, ethnicity IS a valid stat question in an anonymous survey. Just as valid as age,or gender or marital status. If a survey can't identify you, it can't discriminate against you.

I am a little surprised that marital status wasn't on there (or maybe I just forgot). It would be interesting to see the relationship between say times you fish a year vs single or attached.

I will pass.

There is absolutely no reason to include a question on ethnicity unless that is the focus of how the "data" will be broken down. If you want to expand on why that question is there, it would be of some interest to hear.

Personally I also dislike how your name shows in the topics list - different from all the others - although that would not have prevented me from completing the survey.

:blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::wallbash::wallbash:

Just do the survey, whats the big freakin deal?

ethnicity IS a valid stat question in an anonymous survey. Just as valid as age,or gender or marital status. If a survey can't identify you, it can't discriminate against you.

No it's not, and you illustrated why with your next sentence...

I am a little surprised that marital status wasn't on there (or maybe I just forgot). It would be interesting to see the relationship between say times you fish a year vs single or attached.

Obviously if ethnicity is an important variable, there must be a correlational motive behind asking it.

blahblah1.gif blahblah1.gif blahblah1.gif wallbash.gif wallbash.gif

Thanks for the trenchant analysis. ;)

Too bad that there weren't any questions about canoes or small boats and motors. If companies knew how many people owned canoes or small cartoppers and owned outboard motors under 9.9 h.p., they would sell more SUVs that had decent roof racks.

Fishing just 30 times per year.....wow....I would die if I could only go 30 times per year.

How much do I spend to go fishing? Hard to say. All I can say is that I have a 4X4 with a roof rack and a trailer hitch. I don't own a car and have no need for a car. If I ever do buy a car, I would also buy a 4X4 and use the car very little.

If I win the lottery....I wouldn't own....not even a home or work at anything. I would would be spending my time going from one outfitter to another year round.

If I win the lottery, all of the questions I answered would have a different response.

Whats this noise about when does your fishing season start or end.

There's an end? Or a start for that matter...you never stop, just adapt.

LMAO I agree :thumbsup_anim:

When do you end your fishing season? September

October

November

December

That was a very tough question to answer cuz in my eyes, I never want it to end :Gonefishing:

... with an explanation of why an ethnicity question was in there, I trust.
Any statistically valid survey on angling and hunting has a breakdown on social values such as race, age, income bracket etc. Participation and response rates can be broken down and analyzed by those brackets. It's Standard Operating Procedure.

Any statistically valid survey on angling and hunting has a breakdown on social values such as race, age, income bracket etc. Participation and response rates can be broken down and analyzed by those brackets. It's Standard Operating Procedure.

"Age, income bracket, etc." fine, but can you suggest why a fishing survey would or should include race?

And secondly, please point me to a survey that includes race as one of the questions. If you can find such a survey I would like to discover the rationale behind the inclusion of such a question.

---

Edit - Look, in some ways this is a big deal and in some ways it's not. For the purposes of an amateur survey like this one, it doesn't amount to much. But it was important enough for me to point out that a question on race has no place in a fishing survey. You will find, if you look at surveys and questionnaires, that race or ethnicity is virtually never mentioned, not even in government materials. There's a reason for that, and it's called profiling.

Somebody says "Yeah, look a this... the XXX minority spend practically nothing on fishing, fish local waters, would practically never want to share a fishing spot or knowledge about fishing. I just knew they were like that!"

Actually, with an offensive question like this included, you would find very few people of one of the minorities who would complete and submit a voluntary survey. So inclusion of the question is not only unnecessary, it's self-defeating as it automatically limits the responses.

Either the originator of the survey didn't think of that, or there was a reason for inclusion of the question. I think that reason would be hard to justify.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, imagine including a question on religion, or sexual orientation, or whether you're French-Canadian, or whether you are an immigrant or are Canadian-born!

My wife was wondering why I was pounding intensely on the keyboard just now. I told her what the survey was about and I read her the first few questions. When I read the one about "ethnicity" she said, "What the hell is that doing in there; it's got nothing to do with fishing."

She reminded me that some surveys can be offensive if they even ask whether the respondent is male or female, if it has nothing to do with the matter being examined.

Frankly I'm surprised that some people here don't seem to see this, but so be it. I've explained as well as I can.

So there's my position, set out in more words than I thought would be necessary.

Edited by Jocko

Jocko, you are totally entitled to your opinion and we all respect that. And you are correct, surveys can be used to profile. In fact that is ALL they are used for.

I had more typed out, but a guy on the internet obviously isn't going to change your perspective on this subject.

Be sure to tell the 2011 census takers how offended you are with their questions:

http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement...ncement-eng.cfm

Best regards!

I had more typed out, but a guy on the internet obviously isn't going to change your perspective on this subject.

Mbosh, it's too bad you didn't include the further detail you wrote out. Obviously we don't know each other but I can recognize a good argument when I hear one, and I can grant that there is a sound basis to another's argument even if I don't agree with it.

I would be quite interested in hearing why you think a question on race is necessary in an amateur survey on fishing. Didn't you find it a little incongruous (if not downright silly) to include it? I don't assume there was necessarily negative intent behind it; it might have even been included to just give the survey a "professional" look, without a thought to a rationale.

From the little you wrote (and courteously enough, thank you) I think you probably know in which sense I was using the word "profiling" --- the negative sense.

For federal and provincial governments, which are legally tasked with keeping track of multicultural issues and providing education, programs and services, race or ethnicity is a valid concern on a census. They also explain why those questions are included.

I recently completed a provincial questionnaire on the deer hunt, and race or ethnicity wasn't in the list of questions. Does it appear on an application for an Ontario Outdoors Card? Or on an application for a hunting license? I don't think it even appears, if memory serves me correctly, on an application for a federal Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) for firearms, though there it might for purposes of identification.

Those who completed the survey seem to have done so simply as entertainment. After all, you can't take too seriously a survey that includes the cute little comments in brackets after some of the multiple choices. I took a different tack because of that one question. Call it an educational opportunity. I've been dealing with those for all of my professional life. :)

Actually this survey would make an excellent springboard for a Guidance class or a Business/Marketing class.

Edited by Jocko

Greetings again Jocko.

The courtesy is the least I can do.

Thank you for your response. Your latest post has done the best job of explaining why you didn't like the inclusion of ethnicity in the survey.

Yes you are correct, I do realize that you mean profiling in the negative sense. Surveys do nothing but provide raw data, the interpretation of which is completely up to the people who analyze it. You are again correct that someone could use ethnicity as you stated to draw conclusions about fishing attitudes or money spent by race. I would like to think that the ethnicity question is not going to be used in a negative context. Maybe this person just wants a profile of the fishing community (which by your argument would be inaccurate anyway due to a lack of response from insulted ethnic anglers, so no need to bring that point back.). I don't know, I didn't design the survey...maybe they do have bad intentions.

Perhaps my perspective on the subject is skewed because I have never been discriminated against because of my race. Our experiences shape who we are after all.

We will have to agree to disagree, as I have a bunch of tackle to sort out from disappointing steelhead outing yesterday.

I look forward to your next fishing report.

Mbosh, I have never been discriminated against either (or I was too thick-skinned to notice!). But I know people - some of them very close to me - who have. It's an insidious thing.

I look forward to your next fishing report.

Yes, I caught the significance of this comment. :)

But a fishing forum can't be all about simply that.

We're going to have to wait til the water hardens up. I'm anxious to try an Eskimo Quickfish 3 that I picked up at Costco last week. After the wind tumbling my large ice hut for the last two winters, I may just try the Quickfish for this season.

Good luck on your next steeelhead outing. That's a kind of fishing I've only dabbled with.