A Few Days on the Bay of Quinte

Mike the Pike

This year was a tough one.

I arrived in the Bay of Quinte Thursday in High hopes of catching another Double Digit which did not happen again this year.

Many will tell you the Wall-ice had some lock jaw problems this week.

GlennK and I did manage to land a few eyes but not the numbers and size we were seeking.

Once again I managed to lure a slimey Sheepy around 5lbs .I have to keep up the sheepy reputation I guess.

Glenn and I stayed at the Sportsman Motel along with our good friend The Rumbler DouG.

Also at the Sportsman was Percher,Memart and Slowpoke.

Doug fished with memart,while Slowpoke and Percher roamed the bay.

I know Percher has something he should share but we will leave that up to him.

Perhaps Lexxington will show you what he was up to.

First off I must say I had some good Laughs with DouG always a pleasure to see you DouG.

GlennK and I want to thank you for your lovely gifts a pair of....

imagesearplugs-1.jpg

Thanks again Doug these plugs reduced the Rumble during the night.

You are one hell of a snoring freight train Doogles. :P

Ok On with the pics.

After a frustrating day and have already landed the sheepy.

Finally a fish on.

Around 4:30pm Thursday I had my down Rigger trolling below at 22ft using a purple Quick Silver spoon.

I decide to pull up the line to switch baits.When the rod released from the rigger clip I reeled about 10 times and bang

fish on.An 8lb pound Walleye.

Sorry for the Elmer Fud look. although Glenn has improved with the camera he should of told me

my shimano hat was crooked and I looked like a total goofball.

8lbwallice.jpg

IMG_3525JPGcementplant-1.jpg

IMG_3526JPGGlennKinboat.jpg

My fishing partner for the weekend GlennK hoping to catch his first eye of the weekend.

IMG_3531JPGGlenn55.jpg

And the man finally gets one a 5 1/2 pounder.Caught off a plainer board on a Manns watermelon.

We were fishing in 120ft of water

IMG_3533JPGWalleye7lbs2009sideshot.jpg

Just a wee 7 pounder.She was caught off the planer board with a pink clown coloured deep diving tale dancer in 137 feet of water.

GetAttachmentDanwith13lbs.jpg

Dan said I could add this one a 13 pounder :clapping:

IMG_3534JPGvertical7pounder-1.jpg

IMG_3535JPGsunset1-1.jpg

IMG_3536JPGSunset2-1.jpg

IMG_3539JPGRoyJoey-1.jpg

Well ya all know this sweet lady and Our very own Mod Man Roy.

IMG_3540JPGthegang1.jpg

Dinner at JJ'S Texas Grill on Main street in Picton.

I highly recommend this restaurant very good steak cooked to perfection.

Good food good company.Darn Rob you closed your eyes.

From left to right Paul(Tybo)Joey,Roy,DouG,Memart,2nd row Slowpoke and Lexxington.

IMG_3541JPGthegang2.jpg

Ah take 2 and Memart has his eyes open.

Since the fishing had been slow Glenn and I wanted to try one more time fishing until 11am this morning.Sunday

At 5:30am this morning we awoke to fog as thick as pea soup.

We wanted to get out despite having a GPS Glenn and I both agreed to go straight home.

FogHotel-1.jpg

Too dangerous to be out there.

With the amount of boats already on there way to the launch we played safe.

IMG_3555JPGcarfogs-1.jpg

Downtown Picton.

IMG_3553JPGfogpicton-1.jpg

IMG_3559JPGBridgetelegraphnarrow-1.jpg

This is a pic from the bridge over the Telegraph narrows normally you would see the water from up top.

Picton Harbour had so much fog we could not see the water when we drove by.

I hope to hear Joey,Paul and Roy caught some eyes today.

Or perhaps lexxington.

looking forward to the others reports.

Looking forward to next year in the BOQ.

Time to put the boat away.

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

Mike,

I wouldnt concern myself over a hat Bud.....(yer suthrn''bama bud mite hav a wrd ér2 but..)

Congrats on the 15lbs... Dont which one I like better the 7 or the 8lb'r..

Mike, I dont know many bay folk using downriggers, perhaps with the bite being as light as it is maybe thats why your not hitting the double digits as often..just a thought.

I realize you cant feel the bite anyway and usually just drown them dragging them along but with one less item between the rod and the big ticket maybe is all thats needed.

I thought the G2G was last weekend and was out at Picton successfully then, this past weekend I did the 'Lunge thing locally.

It looks like another successful bay outing for you...WTG.

Your here enough,...you'll figure it out.

bNb

Mike,

I wouldnt concern myself over a hat Bud.....(yer suthrn''bama bud mite hav a wrd ér2 but..)

Congrats on the 15lbs... Dont which one I like better the 7 or the 8lb'r..

Mike, I dont know many bay folk using downriggers, perhaps with the bite being as light as it is maybe thats why your not hitting the double digits as often..just a thought.

I realize you cant feel the bite anyway and usually just drown them dragging them along but with one less item between the rod and the big ticket maybe is all thats needed.

I thought the G2G was last weekend and was out at Picton successfully then, this past weekend I did the 'Lunge thing locally.

It looks like another successful bay outing for you...WTG.

Your here enough,...you'll figure it out.

bNb

Hey Brick,I can tell you that using riggers works well in the Bay .last year some us used them to land some nice eyes.None of us go below 30ft.

I myself was often above 25ft.You should try it .spoons work well off the riggers.I landed 2 out of 3 fish this weekend coming off the riggers.

In Hay bay I am certain I had a nice pike on but he bit off the floro carbon leader.

This is my 5th year fishing in November.When the bite is off one must try new methods.Nothing wrong with riggers my friend just have to be walleye friendly .Avoid going deeper than 30ft so one does not inflate the swim bladder.

Until next year.

MTP

...but everyone was toooo spread out for accoms for get togethers.

We made it happen at JJ's.

I can see the Leafs lose any night of the week but I don't get to see these folks but for once or twice a year.

Great post Mike and it was nice to see you again.

The fishing was slow but the weather and good times made up for it!

I can see the Leafs lose any night of the week but I don't get to see these folks but for once or twice a year.

Sorry Brian.. scold us if you want to, but the first we heard of going to JJ's was after 5pm on Saturday.. with 6 guys all ready to go directly from boat to supper already. I asked them all and nobody wanted to wait around another 2 hours to go to supper and then drive all the way back to Napanee just to hit the hay for the 4:45 alarm !! Some of us were actually fishing before 6:30 each morning ! :D

Great report and pics Mike! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

You do look a little silly in the Shimano hat pic, but it adds character to the report! ;)

Fishing is always slow on the BOQ in November unless you can prefish it for a couple of weeks... or hire a guide. :rolleyes:

Looks like everyone had a great time... and that's what really counts!!! :Gonefishing:

Thanks for taking the time to post!!! :clapping:

Should have fished Sunday as Mike... the fog lifted by 9:30 and we got right back at them.

Funny how guys will say thing some times.. I thought Wayne, Lloyd and the boys were just some good friends gettin together to catch some fish... had I known Lloyd was being utillized as a "guide", I would have tried to pick his brain for info... but I really thought of him as a friend.

Wayne, sure would like to the the pic from Sunday!

Bitsmith is putting our report together.

HH

Fishing is always slow on the BOQ in November unless you can prefish it for a couple of weeks... or hire a guide. :rolleyes:

You should consider one for Lakair.

Oh wait, you have!

Chris has done his share of guiding on the West Arm for Kevin but I guess that's different since y'all are just friends.

Great report Mike, Paul and I had a fabulous time, even tho the fish weren't very cooperative. But that's not really what the G2G is all about is it, its about fishing with friends and seeing fellow fishermen you don't get to see that often.

Dinner at JJ's was great, that steak really was cooked to perfection, and the service was excellent. Great company and great food, what more could you ask for.

I only have two pictures because for the first time I left me camera at home. I thought that was a good sign for catching a monster, but I guess that is not a true omen :lol:

Here they are.

4109654653_9b86c8903a_o.jpg

4109654605_acbd231ee1_o.jpg

Roy has a few on his camera, unfortunately none of them have fish in them. We did actually catch that one fish and a lamprey, but before I could net the lamprey, he swam off like a shot. Lucky for him because that was going to be his last day on this earth ;)

Looking forward to next year already.

Joey

Should have fished Sunday as Mike... the fog lifted by 9:30 and we got right back at them.

Funny how guys will say thing some times.. I thought Wayne, Lloyd and the boys were just some good friends gettin together to catch some fish... had I known Lloyd was being utillized as a "guide", I would have tried to pick his brain for info... but I really thought of him as a friend.

Wayne, sure would like to the the pic from Sunday!

Bitsmith is putting our report together.

HH

Hey Joe, great seeing you and Bitsmith again! Some people get jealous because others actually have people who enjoy spending time in their company! :lol:

Wayne and I watched the Leaf game such as it was, Terry and Lloyd opted for the UFC.

Edited by Dano

~~~Dang, for all the time for my starter to go on the boat, and Slug over in Asia renewing his marriage vows in the old country, Dang I missed a great time, I'll be there next year for sure. Congrats to all who went, and for those like me change legs and start kicking ourselves with the other foot

Great report, fish and pics Mike :thumbsup_anim:

Even with the lockjaw status of them eyes.... you guys still got into some beauties!!! Congratulations :clapping:

Sounds like a good time and thanks for taking the time to post your trip and sharing it with us

Jacques