can't catch a steelhead :(

fishinguypat

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

if you're not catching, constantly fiddle with weight placement/weight amount... bobber depth... bait...

if you're not catching fish then you likely aren't in the strike zone or you are spooking the fish with too much float/weight...

also, 99 percent of the river isn't even going to have fish. you have to learn where fish are in runs and what they hit on and build off those successes.

FGP, wait for a decent amount of rain to fall (15-30mm) and raise the water levels of the tribs. Fish the rivers on a clearing trend and you'll more than likely get into some steelhead. You are probably doing everything right, but timing is more important.

8lb line is fine, if its flouro.t When fishing in clearer water, you may want to scale down. You may also want to try spinners so you can cover more water.

Maybe you can be more specific on each of your outings (ie. river, water clarity, bait, etc) and someone here can help you out.

get yourself some swivels and tie on a 6 # leader...only in dirty water will i run 8 pound test...

everyone else has given you solid advice...

if no one is catching then switch up to flat fish or something along that line...dont forget they are predators

as of today i will never use segaur again ....im not a fan of frogs hair either .... for the time being im going to stick with maxima until i find something that will out perform it

If your running a spinning gear then why not just spool up straight 6 and be done with it

Edited by Twocoda

When the rivers are low and clear it's a tough bite. Gotta be there first light or scale the line and baits down to really small. Any kind of traffic on the river tends to push fish up into cover. When it's tough fishing and you know the fish are in the river look for wood. Fish that hang up in cover tend to not be as spooky as those resting in pools with lines going by all day.

Make sure you're using 4 lb flouro leaders and small roe bags until the water gets some color and flow. To fish wood be prepared to get snagged up and retie every 5 minutes. It's worth it though.

Edited by Fang

Good suggestion already. I'll add that you may want to try differnet baits. Flies, worms(plastic and real), single eggs, etc. Present your offering as naturally as possible and in the strike zone. That means ticking the bottom every now and then, light leaders (go as heavy as you can), and the lightest terminal gear you can use.

Stick with it. muddler

i went out 4 times for steelhead this year and everytime i got skunked... i went to ontario tribs and today i hit some huron tribs and nuthin...i'm using light 8lb test 10 foot rod, cured roe, the right amount of split shot...uuggggggggg

Ok....you went out a WHOLE FOUR TIMES... for rainbow trout... and you got skunked.... welcome to trout fishing

:P

Stay out on the tribs.... if the line ain't in the water... you will only catch some fish at Loblaws ;)

I use 8lb main line attached to a very small swivel and then run a 2-3' 4lb leader which is then tied to a #10 or #12 hook.

The split shots can vary depending on the speed of the river( same as the float).

I tend to use 1/3 of a dew worm with the tiniest bit of orange / chartreuse yarn on the hook.

( mainly because I don;t catch salmon and don't have much confidence in store bought "roe".)

So far this season, I am a big fat ZERO for catching any rainbows.... frustrating ... yes.... but the last two season I have caught over 15 bows each...So I know I can catch em..

Like others have said,,, I am playing with the weights... the leader length... and where I am targeting fish....

Some days... the fish gods smile.... some days.... I gotta pay my dues on the river.

That's trout fishing....

But the day I land another one(soon I hope-lol) will be pay off again this season...

And if you are feeling frustrated....

keep at it.... the Leafs have for FORTY YEARS ! :lol:

i went out 4 times for steelhead this year and everytime i got skunked... i went to ontario tribs and today i hit some huron tribs and nuthin...i'm using light 8lb test 10 foot rod, cured roe, the right amount of split shot...uuggggggggg

Don't let it bother you. It's not really fishing anyway.

Jim

Different sized roe bags, different depths, water levels, water clarity, tail outs, blah blah blah...

Listen, when I first started steelheading I got the skunk for a long time, I almost put it into style.

Watch what others are doing, dude casts twice and lands a fish with a small bag... theres an idea?

Be observant.

Clear water, I've found, that the fish sit deep or in cover ( trees, brush, etc. ) Work those areas... Don't scare the fish, try to keep a low profile, dont walk through the water with heavy boots and stir up the bottom... try fresh roe bags... I use white roe bags with a few eggs in clear water and really work the wood.

Finesse fish... cast up close to the wood, drift by, pull back a bit, make your bait come up, then sink again, try it all!

You will loose a tonne of rigs, but hey, its all about learning.

And don't forget to set the hook when your bobber sinks ;)

You may even loose your first two fish :) But the one you finally land will be quite rewarding.

Buy a book, read it, read forums, and just keep it at.

Since no one has mentioned it yet. Chum and single eggs. Really helps to produce in tough conditions. Also stay away from smaller tribs. Fish the big rivers. Small tribs are only good on the drop after a freshet. Big rivers hold their water and colour longer and always seem to be bring fresh bows in. In my opinion there are only 2 rivers that almost always have fish. The Not and the Grand. Third choice would be the 'geen. Learn one of those rivers and you wont be dissapointed.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Ok....you went out a WHOLE FOUR TIMES... for rainbow trout... and you got skunked.... welcome to trout fishing

:P

Stay out on the tribs.... if the line ain't in the water... you will only catch some fish at Loblaws ;)

I use 8lb main line attached to a very small swivel and then run a 2-3' 4lb leader which is then tied to a #10 or #12 hook.

The split shots can vary depending on the speed of the river( same as the float).

I tend to use 1/3 of a dew worm with the tiniest bit of orange / chartreuse yarn on the hook.

( mainly because I don;t catch salmon and don't have much confidence in store bought "roe".)

So far this season, I am a big fat ZERO for catching any rainbows.... frustrating ... yes.... but the last two season I have caught over 15 bows each...So I know I can catch em..

Like others have said,,, I am playing with the weights... the leader length... and where I am targeting fish....

Some days... the fish gods smile.... some days.... I gotta pay my dues on the river.

That's trout fishing....

But the day I land another one(soon I hope-lol) will be pay off again this season...

And if you are feeling frustrated....

keep at it.... the Leafs have for FORTY YEARS ! :lol:

a bit more than 4 times...try 4 years :(

Also notoced your location. If the golden triangle steelheaders are still arounds its a great group for a beginner to join

On a similar note, that reminds me. I was out of the loop for a few years, got married, teenage kid, now that I retired I am getting back into it. I used to belong to the " Ontario Steelheaders " for a lot of years, everyone serious seemed to be a member back in the 80's but all I can find of them online is a webpage that hasn't been maintained since 2004. Are they still around? If not what happened , they were a very dedicated group at one time?