Bait Machines?

blaque

Saw one of these in the kawarthas one time. Had to wander over and check it out. I remember getting about 10 ft from it and almost gagging from the smell. It was located outside and someone had unplugged the power chord

I remember when I was a kid living in Ottawa, there were vending machines that sold dew worms. We didn't call them nightcrawlers in those days. This was in the late 50's. The worms came in a cardboard box similar to a cigar box. Actually, the box was 2 wooden ends with cardboard folded around both of these ends and stapled in place. The worms were top class. But, we rarely bought them because I picked worms and even sold some to make cash to buy fishing equipment.

At 8 years old, I bought all of my stuff and paid my way when it came time to go fishing with my dad and his buddies. Ok....I didn't pay for the beer and gas and I sold worms to everybody in the group and even sold worms and marabou jigs to other fishermen when going to Northern Quebec.

Out on the water in the upper part of the Ottawa River on opening weekend, there were at least 50 fishermen within sight of me. I always had a couple of yellow marabou jigs on my cap so that I was easy to spot. One year I guess I sold close to 150 jigs at 1 dollar each. Jigs were the new thing and they were super efficient. The following year, I sold as many jigs and dew worms at 15 cents each. There was a store in Kingston that sold jigs at 69 cents per 1/2 dozen. The real price was 69 cents each but they were on a cardboard card and on the card it was marked 69 cents. That same year, we picked up one of my uncle's in Montreal. We went to the Hudson's Bay depot and I bought a couple of hundred jigs at 10 cents each. These were very fancy jigs with marabou, fish hair, jeweled bands and behind the front hook, there was a doodad with a loop on the end that you pushed into a minnow's mouth and it came out his anus. Then you installed a double hook in the loop. Wow....I bought all there were. I still have 1 or 2. They would be way to expensive to make today. You could even remove the minnow doodad if you wanted to use just the jig. I made a lot of money on those walleye openers in Northern Quebec.

Can you imagine about 50 fishermen who are catching few walleyes watching a bunch of fishermen catching and releasing over 50 walleye during the morning. They sure were hungry for my jigs and dew worms.