any problem with too much power?

BFSC Kevin

currently have a 30lb endura, looking to bump it up to a 55lb maxxum on my 12ft tinny. the 30lb does the job okay but heck, if i could get going on the 55lb one, maybe i wont need my gas motor. anyone see a real problem in that? besides the fact that the 55lb will drain a bit more battery but since its a maxxum, i'm hoping it'll be about even. thanks for any input.

You have to be VERY careful about not catapulting you or a passenger overboard. Mine is a bit too much for my boat. I can see the front deck flexing if I use the motor on full power in a turn. This spring I will have to try and find a way to reinforce the deck.

Get a good deep cycle battery.

Too much power is far better than not enough power !!

You can always hold back with the bigger motor, but it'll be nice to have the extra power if you ever get in a jam and need that little extra kick to get out of a bad situation.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm.. another thing.. i dont think i will be taking my 12tinny on really windy days.. is the 30lb to a 55lb thrust a HUGE jump?on the minmum speed on the maxxum 55, i think it's 25%? would that be equivalent to speed level 5 on the endura 30?

If you get out on a windy day you will be glad for the extra power, two motors(gas and electric) is a plus! it beats the heck out of rowing if you have a problem!

Exactly! Been out many times on a calm day when the trolling motor was plenty, bring some wind into the mix, things change in a hurry.

I have the 55lb Maxumm on my 14.5 aluminum and I have never really encountered a situation where I have needed it....but it's nice to know that if I do...it's there. I have accidentally cranked the dial to 100% and my passenger ended up falling down....thankfully he landed in the boat. I don't see a problem with it on a 12'.....more the better...just use common sense.

Jason

If you go to a 24 volt system then you will have longer battery life. The amp draw on a 24 volt system versus a 12 volt system is 1/2 as quick a draindown and twice the capacity. I have a 70 lb 24 volt minn Kota and have fished hard for 2 days without plugging it in. I use my boat on a river so overcoming the current as you get snagged upstream more power is better in my case.

Art

hm.. everything points to the direction of yes 55 maxxum.. lol.. because i will be using it on my 12 ft tinny, probably on the smaller lakes or slow streams, hoping a calm not so windy day.. as long my 12volt wont drain out before the end of the day, then i'm fine. I doubt i will be having the motor go at 100%, i'm assuming most likely at 25%.

BUt a question to you maxxum users out there... The level increases on the tiller is 25,50,75, and100%, can i go slower then 25? like say 15% roughly if i make it between the 0 and the 25?

Kevin, I believe you will find the Maxxum is easier on your battery than the 30. Simply because you will not need to have it cranked past 40% very often.

The Maxxum motors that I have had were all 24 V, so I don't know if this is true for the 55, but all of mine had a dial where you could use 2% of the power or 100%. It was not only limited to 4 or 5 speeds. Perhaps the 55 is different.

I don't think you will have any problems adjusting to the extra power, and like many have said, when you need it, it sure is nice to have it.

The Maxxum 55 is probably quite a bit heavier than your 30 lb thruster. Not sure how that will affect your performance, but reinforcing the mounting area is a good idea.

I had an 80 last year and loved it, but found that I needed to upgrade to the 101 this year as there were applications in heavy current where the added thrust was not only good to have, it was absolutely necessary in order to make the right presentation.

Charles