Poacher Fined $3,750 for Illegal Fishing Activities

Ron

September 23, 2009

A Toronto man has been fined a total of $3,750 for bass fishing-related offences.

Robert D. Alexander pleaded guilty to possessing a quantity of fish that was over the limit, fishing without a licence and illegally transporting fish.

Court heard that in July 2009, Alexander was stopped by Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officers on Trent River Road, in Trent River, Northumberland County. An inspection of his fishing gear revealed a large quantity of skinless fish. Further investigation showed that Alexander possessed 56 skinless fillets (the equivalent of 28 fish) that had been harvested without a fishing licence. It was determined that the fillets were all bass. The possession limit for bass in the area is six.

Justice Allison Forestall heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Cobourg, on September 21, 2009.

Anglers are reminded that each individual is responsible for being aware of their limit and fishing within it.

To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your local ministry office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

I would love to see some examples being made in cases like this. This is absolutely flagrant abuse of a resource, no licence on top of it all. $10000 should be the minimum. Who knows how many times a summer this guy does this same thing. Tape barbwire to the book and throw it at him.

I would love to see some examples being made in cases like this. This is absolutely flagrant abuse of a resource, no licence on top of it all. $10000 should be the minimum. Who knows how many times a summer this guy does this same thing. Tape barbwire to the book and throw it at him.

Dis agree, I have a very good friend that forgot to renew his license and went fishing(forgot about the license) and he got checked for it on that day when he was out in his boat, the CO let him go with a warning.

10'000 is a little much and is obviously not in effect for a reason.

Dis agree, I have a very good friend that forgot to renew his license and went fishing(forgot about the license) and he got checked for it on that day when he was out in his boat, the CO let him go with a warning.

10'000 is a little much and is obviously not in effect for a reason.

Dude I think you missed what I was referring to. Simply not having a license is one thing (still no excuse in my mind). But possessing 20 some fish over the limit coupled with no license is basically a scofflaw attitude that deserves harsh punishment.

Dude I think you missed what I was referring to. Simply not having a license is one thing (still no excuse in my mind). But possessing 20 some fish over the limit coupled with no license is basically a scofflaw attitude that deserves harsh punishment.

O ok, that's what I was hoping for lol.