New Michigan State record

fishingisliving

I am betting on NOT REAL......looks like an imposed picture....just my 3 cents

Why are you betting on not real ???? Have you ever caught a 50# musky ? Do you know how big a 50 # musky looks like ???

JESUS ! Keep your 3 cents in your pocket !

Dont hate on the guy cause he caught a great fish !

Nice fish !

Being from MI I'm sure I would have heard of this before this post.

Your sure you would have heard about this before the post eh ??? Are all record fish catchers spose to report to you first ??? Michigan is a pretty big state... Im sure there are other big fish that have been caught that YOU haven't heard of...

Haters.... I tell ya !

Edited by Lunker777

this one:

is 57x29, by calculations should be at 59.9 or 60 pounds.

FiftyOnelbs.jpg

also.. weighed only 51 pounds.

Personally, I've boated fish in the mid 50 inches, and they were damn heavy and impossible to hold for a nice horizontal shot without hugging the fish or sitting down, and I can promise you I have never held a 40+ pound fish. I have taken a picture and netted one or two tho, but nothing close to 50 pounds, and I fish only big musky waters.

this one:

is 57x29, by calculations should be at 59.9 or 60 pounds.

FiftyOnelbs.jpg

also.. weighed only 51 pounds.

Personally, I've boated fish in the mid 50 inches, and they were damn heavy and impossible to hold for a nice horizontal shot without hugging the fish or sitting down, and I can promise you I have never held a 40+ pound fish. I have taken a picture and netted one or two tho, but nothing close to 50 pounds, and I fish only big musky waters.

Thats because they girth the fish in the boat laying them flat on their sides

So many experts

Girth em in the water

You'll see the girth is not the same and the math works out pretty close

Richy Clark bust's his rear out there and is rewarded by his work

The Michigan fish is a giant pretty fish

He caught a real one and its not questionable

Its weighed

Disappointingly for him it had Hook issues

Any person who logs that many hours (he logged a stupid amount of hours)in his boat on his spots deserves credit

congrats to the dude

I want one like that!

So many experts

Girth em in the water

Are you saying a girth measurement is skewed to the heavier side when the fish is lying flat in a boat because the skin is stretched?

Seems logical.

So many experts

Girth em in the water

Richy Clark bust's his rear out there and is rewarded by his work

The Michigan fish is a giant pretty fish

He caught a real one and its not questionable

Its weighed

Disappointingly for him it had Hook issues

Any person who logs that many hours (he logged a stupid amount of hours)in his boat on his spots deserves credit

congrats to the dude

I want one like that!

I agree.

Not sure if this is accurate, but someone said this on other post regarding this same article:

".18,500 acres, 18 miles long, +/- 2 miles wide, 300 feet deep, gin clear... your basic trout water. The fishery is made up of lake trout, yellow perch, sm bass, brown trout, rainbow trout, whitefish, cisco, white suckers, etc. It's a natural lake that was connected to L. Michigan before a dam was put in place long ago. The muskie population isn't measured by fish per acre but by tens of acres per fish. The hours per fish average on this water, for those who know the water well, is 50-60 hours per fish."

like you said he put in a stupid amount of hours, but he got his trophy! Not every musky angler will catch a fish like this in their life, an unfortunate fact. :-)

oh and I was actually admiring Mr Clark. yes.. I said MR. :-)

Edited by fil

Are you saying a girth measurement is skewed to the heavier side when the fish is lying flat in a boat because the skin is stretched?

Seems logical.

yes Solopaddler,you can add anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 inches of girth, from girthing in the water to girthing on board.

done it myself and it varies from one individual to another when I used to measure girths

Its like the tail pinch,is it better to measure em in their natural state or tail pinch (just like you on your tip toes)

The tail pinch is a management tool to protect strong year classes

Also one thing to consider is fish caught in current many times have swim bladders loaded with air which may make a big girth but no weight and leads to over estimating the true weight and size of a fish

also Red fins are common and natural in some bodies of water (especially clearer water),but they are generally pink or rosy red.

In most cases it is an indication of building lactic acid but mostly blood rushing to the blood vessels of the fins from exertion.

If you observe closely,you will see some vessels that burst either from exertion or rash from the net

The best indication of a stress fish is the rosiness or flanks getting pink

Best let the fish go as soon as possible and minimize any handling especially out of the water

This out of water experience on fish that display this form body language is sometimes fatal immediately or could lead to post mortal release.

Keep in mind most fish don't float back up unless air is trapped in their swim bladders

Martin Williamson fish was a unique fish which happen to have food in its stomach ,not air

It seemed to have a very good growth rate for its age of 17 years which is not all that un-common,which means it was a happy fish that spent most of its years un-stressed and feeding

No observation on the gonads were ever done,so it is unknown whether the fish was a reproducing female or not

speculation was that it absorbed its eggs,which is entirely false (no observation of the gonads)

it is my understanding from readings that the only ones species is known to do so, dogs

most species abort

In the case of fish,if they do not drop developing eggs that mature or eggs that cease development,fish generally don't survive due to decaying eggs or blockage

my best advice,measure your fish in the water,its better for the fish and its more natural

no need to girth fish that don't show a good girth of 25 inches or so because it simply leads to over handling

catching a great big fish should not change who you are before,during or after its capture

Its the experience of a lifetime within the excitement of the moment

Edited by marc thorpe

Your sure you would have heard about this before the post eh ??? Are all record fish catchers spose to report to you first ??? Michigan is a pretty big state... Im sure there are other big fish that have been caught that YOU haven't heard of...

Haters.... I tell ya !

Being from Chatham I'm sure you've heard of the Detroit Free Press and it's esteemed writer Eric Sharp. Torch Lake is his backyard. I'm sure he'd have written about this. I can't post the picture but go to the website and look at pic 5. Is the guy's hand cramping up or is it a pose position?

Being from Chatham I'm sure you've heard of the Detroit Free Press and it's esteemed writer Eric Sharp. Torch Lake is his backyard. I'm sure he'd have written about this. I can't post the picture but go to the website and look at pic 5. Is the guy's hand cramping up or is it a pose position?

Picture 5 is of him beside the fish in the container ?

• 2 weeks later...
I am betting on NOT REAL......looks like an imposed picture....just my 3 cents

This story is 100% authentic.

How do I know you ask? I'm a canuck who moved here to MI about two years ago and an avid Musky fisherman on LSC. In addition to the field and stream article, one of my best fishing buddies is good friends with the lure maker. We also have a weekend place in Boyne City - about 1 hr north of Torch Lake. This has been all over the news (and reported by legitimate fishing and outdoors experts...unlike that silly CBC/National report on the LSC 50lb Musky) lol!!!.

It may have been in the F & S article or another one, but apparently it took them many hours to find a certified scale that could handle such a large fish. There were estimates the fish could have lost up to 5lbs of it's body weight during that time. They did keep it on ice. The guy who caught it is a hard core Musky hunter who has been fishing this lake for years.

This body of water is not LSC or the Ottawa River. Don't even think of coming down for a weekend in the hopes of lots of fish...or even one! Musky are very few and far between on Torch.

Michigan fishing absolutely rocks! This is a good time to mention that the new WORLD RECORD Brown Trout was caught less than 100 miles south of Torch Lake a few months ago. +40lbs! Would you care to challenge the legitimacy of that as well?

Oh yeah...my avatar is a legitimate 37.25lb (53 3/4 length; 22" girth which was measured in the water) Lake St Clair Musky I caught in August 2008. The LSC certified record is just under 42lbs (though much larger fish have been caught, photographed, and released in the Detroit River). With that knowledge, I was sucked in by Peter Mansbridge to watch the entire National which featured the "LSC 50 lber" only to be very sadly disappointed!!!

Tight lines!

Edited by bje