Dawg's Shrimp

JohnF

So in the middle of my busy morning my secretary came in to say that I had mail and rather unceremoniously dropped a little bitty cardboard box on my desk. Never one to read instructions I ripped it open and out fell this tupperware container -

GCD006.jpg

It looked like shrimp, nicely butterflied and breaded then dipped in food colouring. Hmmm thought I. Qu'est ce que c'est ca? Or should I say "what's this aboot" cuz that's apparently the way some of our brethren from the nether regions think us Canucks talk.

Well, upon closer inspection, I noticed that they were in fact not shrimp. Don't ask how I came to this realization, but one of them still has teeth marks in it. Here's what I found when I looked closer -

GCD001.jpg

And under the top layer -

GCD002.jpg

And one layer later -

GCD003.jpg

And finally -

GCD004.jpg

Dayum! They looked good enuf to eat.

Some of you may remember when we held an auction on line and in a fit of chauvinistic pride I upped the bid when the rest of you let a mere girl outbid y'all. Well, the fact was I recognized this as an opportunity to acquire some real folk art and was cunning enuf to insist that the artist slap his moniker on each and every one of these little doodads that he had contributed.

So he did. If'n y'all look closely y'all kin see where he made his mark.

GCD010.jpg

Not bad fer a country boy from suburban Alabama, eh? :w00t:

These little jigger are by gum real art, way too purty to sully with a smelly minnow or worm. But I think I will all the same.

Then I just have to figger out what the heck to do with 'em when I git the meat hung on just right. Anyone know if these things catch fish?

JF

WOW JohnF..... those are a thing of beauty :worthy:

Like Roy posted..... these things are the hottest lure and will catch me some wallice next time I'm out on my favorite pond cause.....

IMGP2077.jpg

my good friend from Bama is such a kind & generous person, made those one of a kind jigs :worthy: :worthy: and Glen I can't thank you enough for this :thumbsup_anim: Take a bow :angel: you truly deserve it :worthy: :worthy:

So John.... you better start jiggin for them wallice cause them jigs are tailor made for them species.

Right on G and thanks again mon chum :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::canadian:

I dare say there is an artitistic side to our favorite redneck! Those are some nice baits you made there Dawg. :worthy::worthy::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: Now I am sorry I did not bid on them. Heck they are so nice I can't even come up with a smartrearend comment about them!

Oh, I just did....you sir are a master bai....of the highest order!

Edited by hometownhandyman

WOW JohnF..... those are a thing of beauty :worthy:

Like Roy posted..... these things are the hottest lure and will catch me some wallice next time I'm out on my favorite pond cause.....

IMGP2077.jpg

my good friend from Bama is such a kind & generous person, made those one of a kind jigs :worthy: :worthy: and Glen I can't thank you enough for this :thumbsup_anim: Take a bow :angel: you truly deserve it :worthy: :worthy:

So John.... you better start jiggin for them wallice cause them jigs are tailor made for them species.

Right on G and thanks again mon chum :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::canadian:

Hah! I see y'all warn't smart enuf to git his X on your'n. Jes' wait till ya see how much mine are gonna sell fer in about 150 years. You\ll be sorry.

JF

Okay, seriously folks, not that Dawg deserves much serious on this forum considering the way he hands out the fun(?) but these freakin' things are art. I just got back from working at my mom's place and started looking at them again and there are nuances of colour and light that I didn't even see before. I can hardly wait to get my artist buddy to give his reaction. I'm thinking he's gonna be knocked out. And this is the guy who has quite a few thousand of my dollars for all the dust collectors on our walls here at home. I only put up with him cuz he's a fisherman and likes scotch too.

I tried to get some pics that show the subtlety of the colours but I can't get the light right with this camera. I'll get my artsy buddy to shoot some for y'all so you can see what I mean.

I actually feel guilty that I didn't pay more for these. I dunno if they catch fish but the effort & creativity that went into them is enuf to give value. They may only be jigs to some folks but they're up there on a whole nuther plane to me.

Pics to follow when I can get Rob to pose them for me.

Good job, Dawg. You may have squandered all those years earning a living in construction. You could have been starving as a great artist the whole time. ;)

JF

Let me tell you, they catch lots of these, John.

006-1-1.jpg

They catch many different species of fish!

Bernie uses them for Walleye (he makes his own and is the one that got me interested in making them myself after he gave me a few at a Lakair G2G), CCMT caught a big Pike on one of Bernies jigs last year, Fishinsled caught a Musky on one of Bernies jigs earlier this year, and I've caught Bass/Crappie/White Bass/and some small Stripers on them!

WOW JohnF..... those are a thing of beauty

IMGP2077.jpg

my good friend from Bama is such a kind & generous person, made those one of a kind jigs and Glen I can't thank you enough for this Take a bow you truly deserve it

Right on G and thanks again mon chum

You're a very kind and generous person yourself Jacques! You sent me one of your beautiful birdhouses absolutely free of charge!

DSC01765.jpg

... and I liked it so much I bought the one you put up for auction! The Bluebirds in my yard love these houses and haven given me many hours of enjoyment watching them fly in and out of your houses and raising their babies!!! Thank You very much!!!

I figured it would be the least I could do to share some of my handiwork with you!

Wow dawg you is dexterous something fierce!! :canadian:

Could you give us a little run down on how you make them little beauts?

Right on budday!

Well you start with 10 lbs. of 600*F molten lead at the picnic table outside, throw some hooks into the mold and start pouring. Then you clean them up and take them into the garage with a $20 toaster oven and 17 jars of powder paint and go to it!

It has been a process of much trial and error... and still is!

Thank you for the kind words everyone! :blush:

Edited by GCD

No kidding...i would definitly buy some of those!!

Nice work GCD

I think these fall under the "labour of love" category. Too much time invested that you could never charge for. My buddy Rob (the artist) says he hates to think of what his per hour wages would be on some of his pieces.

JF

I think these fall under the "labour of love" category. Too much time invested that you could never charge for. My buddy Rob (the artist) says he hates to think of what his per hour wages would be on some of his pieces.

JF

Yup!... pretty much!... it takes me 16-20 hrs. to do 120 jigs start to finish. I know I could "slop" them together in half that time or less, but I can't stand for anything I do to look half-assed!!! :angry:

I will be making more of these this winter and if any OFC members are interested in purchasing some of these jigs, please PM me for a price quote.

My hat's off to you Glen. It's nice to see someone that takes pride in there work and doesn't give in to the quantity over quality mentality. If you have time could you PM me a price I'd like to pick up a few for Bruce and myself. I owe him for all he's done for my son and I :)