The Bog is finished ??

scugog-iceman

Maybe all the years of anglers taking their limit has caused the population to crash? Couple that with the fact that the Musky can see much better in there now due to zebra mussels and logic tells me the Walleye population could be in serious trouble. Oh, right... The Crappie is to blame.

I haven't been out for almost 3 weeks..its been too cold...but before that I was doing real well on the BOG...with this warmer weather coming up..I bet that if you went out this week you would do alright...wish I could..but I'm off to LONDON on Tuesday to do another show!

Todd

Couple that with the fact that the Musky can see much better in there now due to zebra mussels

There have been many surveys done on muskies and their diet, walleye is usually at around 1-3% of the diet so that is not a factor in the decline from what I've read, perch is on the menu most of the time or large bait fish but they are territorial and will eat a walleye if it's in the wrong neighbourhood. :D

Seems to me like the bog was a complete bust this softwater and hardwater season.

Looks like overfishing to me, the bog has more reports up on the board than any other lake, add to that WAY too many tournaments and you notice theres no more fish...

It's overfished. As far as I know it's the only lake in Div. 6 open to ice fishing but still has a 6 fish limit and no slot size. Guys can drill a hole in Scugog, Simcoe, Lake O or start driving north. There's a reason it gets close to 1000 huts every winter (not to mention the summer pressure). That's too much for a lake that size.

But forget that.. the crappie are eating everything up :D

In conclusion.......... I deem Lake Skugog, also known as "THE BOG" as being a waste of time, money, resources, bait, equipment, and ad infinitum to hopefull/misled anglers.

Any one who operates an Ice Shanty service, should do the right thing, and close down said operation, and not take money from unsuspecting customers.

I haven't been out for almost 3 weeks..its been too cold...but before that I was doing real well on the BOG...with this warmer weather coming up..I bet that if you went out this week you would do alright...wish I could..but I'm off to LONDON on Tuesday to do another show!

Todd

I have to agree with you on this one. The weather has just been no good for fishing there. There's still fish in there, you just have to switch things up to get them. Scugog is a different lake when it comes to catching eyes. The only lake I know of where you catch walleye in under 4 FOW consistently.

I'll be giving it a shot during this mild spell, I'll do a report on my day.

Sinker

I usually do ok on the BOG during the summer. This year i made 5 trips for muskie and i have only one muskie to show for it. Things were definitely not the same fishing quality wise compared to other years. Who knows whats going on.

Guest skeeter99

no seriously

got 3 saturday, my buddy down the lake got 4

last thursday 3 of us got 14 walleye

deep water (I know we are talking scugog) 11 to 13 feet close to 8 to 9 foot depths

matrixx sppons are the ticket this year green and red

troy

I can't speak during the harwater season as I don't fish the Gog in the winter...but I have noticed over

the last five years the action has really slowed down..in the walleye department. We used to be able to

go there and catch a good number..all went back..and I think that's the problem. To many people visiting

and taking their catch home. I have no problem with taking a few for the frying pan..but when your talking about a lake an hour from Toronto...it should be catch and release only...it just can't handle the pressure..it's not a large lake.

The sad news...nothing will be done..and it will get even worse.

" The sad news...nothing will be done..and it will get even worse."

Hopefully not. It would seem as though they are addressing these concerns and are encouraging public input on Feb. 21st.

Taken from www.newsdurhamregion.com

Fisheries management plan to be rolled out Feb. 21

Conservation authority to unveil draft Nonquon River study

Feb 13, 2007

PORT PERRY -- Those with an interest in Lake Scugog, and its inhabitants, are invited to attend an upcoming meeting at the Scugog Community Centre where conservation officials will unveil a draft of their long-awaited Nonquon River Fisheries Management Plan.

Slated to be rolled out at 7 p.m. on Feb. 21, officials with the Kawartha Conservation Authority (KCA) will present a summary of the draft plan which was commissioned more than three years ago. The study examined the current state of fisheries in the Nonquon River watershed and included the fish community, physical habitat, water temperature and water quality conditions at more than 75 sites. Once finalized, the plan will make recommendations to ensure the fisheries is maintained at its optimum state, while balancing the needs of humans.

The purpose of the public meeting will be to garner input to ensure that the plan incorporates the values of area residents, who are the primary users of the fisheries resource.

When it's complete, the plan will be submitted to Township officials later this year.

Encouraging a large turnout to the upcoming meeting is Heather Surette, an aquatic biologist with the KCA.

"We really want to get your feedback, whether it's during the presentations, the question and answer period, or informally later in the evening. Survey forms will also be available at the session and on our web site," says Ms. Surette.

In addition to the Nonquon River Fisheries Management Plan, short presentations on the Lake Scugog Environmental Management Plan and stewardship funding will be given.

The Scugog Community Centre is located at 1655 Reach St.

For more information, call Ms. Surette at 705-328-2271, extension 222, toll-free at 1-800-668-5722, or e-mail [email protected].

The KCA can be found at www.kawarthaconservation.com.

I can't speak during the harwater season as I don't fish the Gog in the winter...but I have noticed over

the last five years the action has really slowed down..in the walleye department. We used to be able to

go there and catch a good number..all went back..and I think that's the problem. To many people visiting

and taking their catch home. I have no problem with taking a few for the frying pan..but when your talking about a lake an hour from Toronto...it should be catch and release only...it just can't handle the pressure..it's not a large lake.

The sad news...nothing will be done..and it will get even worse.

You really think catch and release only is necessary? What about closing Scugog down for the season like all the other Kawartha Lakes,putting in a slot and changing the limit ot two within that slot? That should give the Lake alot less pressure. Not only would less fish be taken,but none out of season and you'd probably get less traffic of fisherman (because they can't take their six). This would be a good compromise,should help the lake "replentish" itself and not kill the local businesses,especially ones totally reliant on tourism /fishing. I think with a proposal like this you would meet alot less resistance and have a chance of passing it. It's one thing to just say,"catch and release only" and maybe that is ultimately what is best for the lake (no people or motorboats would be better yet) but if it's not realistic that it would be implemented than it's better to introduce something that will be effectve and better the conditions and have a chance of being accepted. Then again,this is Scugog which is the only major Kawartha Lake that is partially privately owned (I still don't get that). Anyway,just my two cents.

Some guys are producing on a regular basis, they know how to fish this lake. Others, nothing at all.

I have found it a difficult lake to locate fish on for the last 15 years. It's shallow, very weedy, with little structure.

Learn it and you'll do well.

Entropy

Edited by Entropy