Hunting questions

siwash

Hi folks,

I am planning on taking up hunting this fall! I've have family members who've been encouraging tojoin them on their hunting forays!

I was wondering if anyone has taken the hunter safety/traing course at AL Flaherty's? They have course running the last weekend of Sept.

If it's not available, can someone recommend another course in the western part of the GTA? Maybe BassPro?

If I take the course in late Sept, will I get my PAL by November in time to hunt deer?

IS there anything else required in addition to the hunter safety course and the PAL license?

My cousin has a shotgun for me and I think I will just use his to see if I actually enjoy hunting before I go out and buy a gun. But if I did decide to buy one, what would you recommend as a decent starter gun for $500 (+/-)?

Thanks guys!

Remington 870 12g express! I have owned one for about 15 years now, never let me down once and I've used it for every thing from trap, sporting clay, deer, turkey........... Don't even bother to buy the slug barrel for it, I use 3" magnum 00 buck or SSG loads and have never lost one deer that I have shot at with it. Mind you, if I can't get a good heart shot, I don't shoot.

I have several shot guns, some fairly expensive but when I want to go hunting; it is always the 870 that I grab first.

The 20 ga Wing Master is also an excellent gun (870 but in a 20 ga) you won't find a more reliable gun for the money if you want to hunt upland game birds.

i actually took the hunting course yesterday and today, its lonnng and boring and the test was quite easy getting 3 wrong out of 70 multiple choice questions. after you take the course you instantly get your temp and you can go hunting. the P.A.L is a bit more. you'll be very lucky if you can get it in time for deer season. it takes a good 2months to completely process and get your card. i say you take the hunting course and just go along with your buddies and get the P.A.L for next year. you should have done all this spring/summer, its coming down to the wire for me for bird hunting and i started the process in july.

i actually took the hunting course yesterday and today, its lonnng and boring and the test was quite easy getting 3 wrong out of 70 multiple choice questions. after you take the course you instantly get your temp and you can go hunting. the P.A.L is a bit more. you'll be very lucky if you can get it in time for deer season. it takes a good 2months to completely process and get your card. i say you take the hunting course and just go along with your buddies and get the P.A.L for next year. you should have done all this spring/summer, its coming down to the wire for me for bird hunting and i started the process in july.

coulda shoulda!

As long as I can go hunting with them... i can use their guns and they buy ammo, etc..

I guess you can only apply for PAL once you've taken the course?

where did you do the course?

Does PAL cost anything?

thanks guys for the input!

looks like it'll be the Remington!

it doesnt matter which one you take first, take them both at the same time. im in sault ste. marie and a local guy does it in is garage and he had enough ppl to do the hunting course to do it at a school with a whole class. the pal costs something like $100 then another $60 when you send it in for the card, someone may correct me on the actual prices but thats the ball park. the hunting course is $160. ya its not cheap to start and good choice on the remington i just got a remington 20g.

In order to hunt in Ontario you have to pass TWO exams - the Ontario Hunter Education Course exam and the Canadian Firearms Safety Course exam.

The first will permit you to get an Outdoors Card valid for hunting, but you need the second (which gives you a PAL) to actually borrow or buy a gun.

That is my understanding anyway.

---

EDIT - I believe you can bow-hunt without a PAL since a bow is not classed as a firearm.

Edited by Jocko

About guns, yes, the Winchester 870 "Wingmaster" pump-action 12 ga. is a classic that has been around for a long time and has fully earned its reputation. If you could own only one firearm, this would be it. Whether you're wing-shooting for ducks and geese and pheasants, or hunting rabbits or turkeys, or even using buckshot or slugs for deer and bear, the Wingmaster will do it all. Moose too, if you can call them in close.

If you can get it with screw-in chokes, it would be even better. If I were buying it new I would look for a 3" chamber. Used, I would not turn my nose up at a 2 3/4.

I started hunting with a Sure-Shot (Cooey) 12 ga. single-shot when I was 15 and when I could afford it, my first "repeater" was a brand-new Wingmaster (2 3/4"). I used it for a number of years before I got a Browning auto-loader. I had planned to keep the 870 but my brother wanted it. He still uses it to this day.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on doing the course. It should be an all in one and the instructor should have walked you through the process of getting your PAL.

I use a Browning BPS myself. Like mentioned before a rifled slug works well and cost less than a new barrel and sabots. I'm saving that money to buy an actual rifle for deer.

Now that you have your hunter ed. you can hunt. You need to get your stamp and tag for deer (I'm guessing that is what you are after?) Your PAL however will probably not be in, but it might close call. Remember if you do not have your PAL for the hunt you can only use a gun if there is someone beside you that does have one. You also cannot have out two guns because there is only one PAL holder. If you were to borrow a gun and stand on your own, you could be in trouble.

If you want to join in the hunt and don't have your card yet, you might be able to get a verbal authorization from the Firearms office. If you do not want to throw rocks to take down a deer, take a bow with you. You are allowed to hunt with that.

Have fun, be safe!!!

If you can--- borrow guns and see if hunting is for you---make sure you know the gun though and all it's features prior to doing anything.

2nd if you like hunting deer and maybe moose---buy a rifle

Shotguns will limit you for some shooting at distance----if hunting is your thing you'll own lots of guns including various shotguns for different purposes.

Bushart

Is this a shotgun only season? If not I would buy a rifle or your pretty much limited to the range at which your going to be taking a deer. If so I like 30-30 Marlin lever action or 270 savage bolt action all should be in your price range. A shotgun is a great gun though like mentioned above because your very versitile and can hunt pretty much any kind of game. I started out with a shotgun using slugs when I was just a little kid and upgraded to a rifle as i got older.Not sure on how the PAL works now,when i was under 18 I had my hunter licence and I got paper work from the police station allowing me to hunt on my own and carry a rifle but this was over 15 years ago best way is to just ask when your on your PAL course.

You cannot hunt with a rifle in the "south"... most of my hunting will be south of the French and probably mostly south of Muskoka..

So as I understand it, I can accompany any hunt right now but I cannot be in possession of a firearm of my own, even if it has been lent to me... So bows are good to go.. great cause my cousin has a bow. I can use that while he uses his shotgun.

I am going on a duck hunt at Long Point this weekend. I will need my duck stamp and I will bring my temp licence with me...

Looking forward to it!

As for the gun, I will put it off for now. My dad has an old CIL hinge action. Probably not a good gun, but it'll do the trick until I determine what I want and need... I'll probably buy in Dec or Jan when I have my PAL.

Thanks guys!