Slow Death Experiences

wkrp

I like them a lot.

You gotta use swivels though.. Lots a twirling going on.

I've caught tons of bass on them so far. A pike too.

I would definitely recommend them to others.

Edited by F to the Is-H

I tried them for the first time a couple weeks ago, had great success. If it swims, you can catch it on a slow death rig, in my opinion. That being said, I find because of this, you can spend a lot of time tinkering with the bait, either replacing it or getting it spinning kinda decent. I used the #2 size from Mustad.

standard rig seems to be 36" + behind a bouncer. During the pwt last fall on the st marys river they outfished regular spinners in the channel but regular spinners seemed to do better on the shallower flats. Next Bite filmed a show on the SMR fishing slow death, good overview on rigging and tactics

Not sure if you can get them a crappy tire, or wally world. I picked mine up at a local baits shop (Simcoe bait and tackle).

I rig mine with a slip sinker when in 15' or less. Bottom bouncer when trolling in deeper waters.

"Slow Death" means that the presentation is supposed to mimic the slow death of a minnow. However, they where designed to be rigged with crawlers. I’ve used gulp alive and live shiners on a slow death hooks, and landed some fish too.

Ran across the hook about 3 years ago when it was still in development. Just dumb luck while standing around at the sportsman show and quinte walleye fishing came up. The pro working this booth did a great job describing the shape and as I figured it was kind of a cross between a tru-turn worm hoook and a wide bend walleye hook. I remembered this and went seeing if I could bend some up. Well it took me a summer of playing around but I found the Mustad Bass Bug hooks and here's a picture of the slow death on the left and my version on the right. I've kept my version hidden in the box the last few years as my secret weapon when on the guys fly in trips and they have worked well. I've fished the home made ones for 3 summers now and bought the slow death this year

DSCF9526.jpg

I run them on a 6ft lead behind a bottom bouncer or walking sinker. Sometimes I will put an in line float in front as my hooks are a bit heavier. I tried the SD ones and find them a bit light for bottom bouncing. The first one i tied on i pulled straight on a log snag. I'll use both but will be bending up more of the bigger ones soon.

Edited by Fang

I used them in the tournament I fished last weekend, they work great but the problem for me was that I haven't used worms in a LONG time and must have given the walleye too long to take the bait because I had to cut the line on 5 or 6 of them to release because they swallowed the hook.

I got mine at Cabelas (in the states) and plan on getting more when I return there in November. the only problem I had was trying to put those slimey squirmey worms on the hook. (the guys on tv make it look so simple).

I've used them for a few years now. they work great!!! No problems with the hooksets, and there isn't a need to "let them have it" like you work a harness, as when the bite, they don't have 3+" of worm to suck in before they're at the hook. You can definately pick them up at WM or the tire. I've tried the different colours, and found no real difference between them.