Lake Kipawa fishing - then and now

scuro2

There is something about fishing for lakers and leadcore that I simply enjoy. This was my third trip to Lake Kipawa in Quebec...

IMGP0288.jpg

...and my second trip to Dorval Bay.

IMGP0239.jpg

This was our first family vacation there.

IMGP0231.jpg

My three girls.

IMGP0233.jpg

The girls still like to explore.

IMGP0218.jpg

We did a little outing down the lake, thanks Bob and Claire

IMGP0264.jpg

What's not to like?

IMGP0297.jpg

We were staying at what used to be the first fishing camp on the lake. They used to have fly-ins and went to Ogascanan lake.

IMGP0290.jpg

The family continues to live in the bay and the business had been in operation for a long time. Amie Dorval is over 80. We shared coffee and laughs with him in the morning. Even though I'm first generation Canadian, I was the GERMAN. As told by Amie, he was one of the first licensed guides in Quebec in 1947.

IMGP0302.jpg

Here he is with his son.

IMGP0298.jpg

They still have pics from the past, on top of the bar.

IMGP0300.jpg

Family catching fish way back when.

IMGP0301.jpg

Huge fish.

IMGP0284.jpg

The fishing is good but they are creating spawning beds to make sure it stays that way. Here is a barge loaded with fist sized chunks of gravel. As I was taking this pic I had a laker on. I got the full blast of the alarm from the boat when I lifted the laker.

IMGP0210.jpg

I'd take out whoever wanted to come. It was nice to share coffee with my wife on a beautiful morning. My daughter also came out a few times and Lulu loved to fish. This dog shook whenever a fish came on board and was growling when she determined that there wasn't enough action. She was constantly checking the lines and the water.

IMGP0267.jpg

All but one the fish were under the 50 cm slot limit.

IMGP0286.jpg

Lulu gave them all the business.

IMGP0270.jpg

She tried to bite the keeper.

IMGP0273.jpg

My keeper.

IMGP0280.jpg

Moments before it hit the BBQ

IMGP0304.jpg

Amie set up this rod for me. This setup is for bottom bouncing and the flashers are called a "Christmas tree" by locals. They use a 5 ounce weight and troll around 1.5 km in about 60 ft of water. They bottom bounce as one does for walleye. I was finding fish in 100ft of water and never used Amie's gear, I don't think it would have worked in such deep water. It sat by his table....would have tried it if there was more time.

IMGP0287.jpg

On the last day I did go out fishing with Bob who is his son in law. He tried out his own Christmas tree, but we got chased off the water by heavy rain. You wouldn't think it looking at this pic, but an hour later it poured. All in all, a very nice week.

Edited by scuro2

• 2 weeks later...
Can't believe this post got 4 replies. What is wrong with these people???

Anyways Chris. Thanks for posting. Nice to see you, Leslie and the girls sharing the summer holidays like this.

i totally agree!

Looks like a good time was had by all...

That christmas tree looks real interesting.