Anyone ever put wheels on or made a cart for portaging an aluminum boat?

wask

Anyone ever crafted something that was easy to use to put some wheels on the back of your aluminum boat for portaging?

Nothing too long, just figured if there was an easy wheel setup it would make things easier.

Thought about creating something that would bracket onto the boat I could affix a couple of bike wheels too... but I'm not engineering genius :lol:

Thanks in advance

Yes, required length of 2x4 to go side to side across the bottom of the boat, 2x 1 foot 5/8" axles, 2 wheels from Princess Auto about 12" high, one ratchet strap to go over the boat and hold the 2x4 underneath. I had a 14' with a 7.5 on the back, I could leave everything inside it and wheel it around by myself.

Forgot the 4 x 5/8th "U" bolts to hold the axle to the 2x4.

Edited by Fisherman

Yes, required length of 2x4 to go side to side across the bottom of the boat, 2x 1 foot 5/8" axles, 2 wheels from Princess Auto about 12" high, one ratchet strap to go over the boat and hold the 2x4 underneath. I had a 14' with a 7.5 on the back, I could leave everything inside it and wheel it around by myself.

Would love to see the cart constructed, would make carrying out 12' a 1/4 Km a lot easier lol.

Anyone ever crafted something that was easy to use to put some wheels on the back of your aluminum boat for portaging?

Nothing too long, just figured if there was an easy wheel setup it would make things easier.

Thought about creating something that would bracket onto the boat I could affix a couple of bike wheels too... but I'm not engineering genius :lol:

Thanks in advance

Send Holdfast a pm.... he's got the perfect setup for what you want ;)

Leechman

I have some designs for a boat cart I was going to build a few years back.

The thing bolts onto the back of any boat, and retracts up out of the way when your in the water.

You need to know how to weld/cut/drill aluminum though.

If your interested in the prints, PM me your e-mail address, I can send them over.

Thanks for the responses...

Any chance you have a picture of this?

Send Holdfast a pm.... he's got the perfect setup for what you want ;)

Leechman

He must have his PMs turned off.

P6060005.jpg

P6060008.jpg

Sorry, the Mods has my PM shut down. All my threads are moderated too. Over half don't make it through. Been like that since before everyone left for Lakeclair or whatever its called. This board is getting more kiddyish by the day it seems. All it takes is a constant complainer to the Mods I guess. Sorry about the so called Redneck rant. Any Hoot

The pics shows a canoe, just make it wider for the Boat. There must be away though that you can Bolt Bicycle Wheels to the stern of the boat as per Danbo's picture. I got my Idea from a fabulous cart with the plywood platform like mine, an Axel with Wheel Barrel wheels. Solid

Edited by holdfast

Unless you are just going down an old road or something....just carry it. Ever try to pull one of those carts over rocks, roots and logs? Its tough. If you go that route bring a patch kit, pump and extra tubes for the tires. Talked to some guys this spring that do it with just canoes and they had a lot of issues with tires. I suspect you could find a soid rubber tire though...

How heavy can your 12' boat be? 2 guys should be able to portage it like a canoe id think. Rollers (dead or cut logs) work really well. I have portaged an 18' boat with 40hp attached a hundred meters or so....honestly very doable with 3 guys.

Show pics of how it goes anyways. I enjoy seeing how others tackle offroading.

Tried portaging into Matchedash(Long)lake a few times years ago with a canoe 2hp and equipment with two guys. We talked about the same stuff back then.Buddy made a set up with some EMT pipe when he worked at Canada wire.Lasted half way in and then we were stuck carrying that crap in and out as well.I've seen 12 ft tinnies with lawnmower type wheels bolted on straight brackets on each side of the stern about 3-4 inches high which would give you a fair bit of clearance and aren't too obstuctive when you are in the boat.Looked pretty simple and solid.

Kerry

Thanks for the responses...

Any chance you have a picture of this?

Unfortunately no, but, picture Holdfasts rig and in stead of the plywood holding up the canoe, the 2x4 takes its place to set the boat on. The 2 1' axles are "U" bolted to the ends of the 2x4 with enough sticking out to allow the wheels to be added on with presto pins and washers. Like someone said above, the tires are better off being hard rubber like item #2020090 from Princess Auto..no flats.

If anyone wants 'em, I have a pair of spoked wheels with pneumatic tires from a golf cart. They're approx 10" in diameter. They came on a cart I bought for my wife (cuz it was super easy to push) and the boys in the storage shop whacked a spoke out of line which interfered with the brake mechanism but that won't interfere with their operation for a boat cart. They couldn't get one replacement wheel so I got a pair and have the old ones. I think they'd be ideal for this application.

Free to the first taker. PM me. They're going in a garage sale or something shortly if no one grabs 'em first.

JF