Ice Fishing....Sturgeon

ccmtcanada

Here's a news story I found online....guy pulled this sturgeon out of the ice on Lake Winnebago!

gallery_60_22_33299.jpg

Here's part of the news story....

"In this photo provided by Darren Horness, Darren Horness of Howards Grove, lays on the ice next to the 72-inch, 102-pound sturgeon he speared Sunday, Feb. 11, 2007, on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin. The fish came up within 6 inches of the surface inside his ice shack, he said. About 8,000 fishermen spearhunt sturgeon each year on Lake Winnebago and its upriver lakes. In his seven years, Horness hadn't come close to a fish that big."

Full story at: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070214/ap_on_...OJHTL_yDIlsaMYA

Edited by ccmtcanada

I dont know if I like this... they may be within their rights but I just doesnt feel right about it... Thanks for sharing Cliff...... but I dont agree with such practises.. that fish is probably 40+

years old... NOONE should be ice fishing for them... nor for that keeping them in softwater..... but if the regs say ok...???? I still stand by my conviction... this is wrong.

just my opinion

Gerritt...

Very nice fish, like everyone else I just don't see the reason to kill it (and are they spawing at this time ?), but I guess if your spearing it's a little hard to release the fish. -_- If it's for your ego, pictures are just as good, and wouldn't it be easier and more fun to just fish with a rod for them ?

well thanks for posting that cliff,but i agree with you gerritt,it doesnt seem right to me. :blink: ..but the regs say its ok...in that area so be it....but thats a very majestic fish and i sure wouldnt harvest one that way...i hjave been lucky enough to have caught one before and he was only 25lbs,and that was a huge fight in a 5mile per hour current so i will fish for them the way i think they should be caought with a good old rod & reel a few pics taken then released...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

yes cliff i hear you and understand loud and clear,im with ya on that for sure :dunno::blink: i have witnessed the spearing of fish before down near deseronto in the salmon river natives are allowed to spear walleyes,and i cant stand to watch so to me i would never want to partake in such activities myself...but thanks for letting us know about that...they say 8,000 angles how can there be any fish left at all,thats incredible isnt it.????? :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

About a dozen of the 700 fish speared so far this year have topped 100 pounds, said Ron Bruch, a sturgeon biologist with the state Department of Natural Resources. The season continues through Feb. 25 or when the harvest limit is reached.

I guess they know what they're doing? Most seasons involve a draw - so it's not a free for all.

I read another article from Michigan where the limit for an antire lake is only 5 fish.

Edited by Northhunter