TV that isn't terrible

Fishnwire

someone already mentioned it, but Departures is by far my favourite show of all time.

might depend on your current state of life, but i find it incredibly funny, educational, and really inspiring.

worth checking out a trailer on youtube, at the least.

I downloaded the whole first season of "The Wire"...I kept hearing it described as "the best show on TV." I couldn't get through the first episode. It did nothing for me.

"Eastbound and Down"...amazingly funny, seen them all, looking forward to more.

"Kenny and Spenny" were funny at first, but I'm starting to think its all just scripted.

Has ANYONE out there seen an animated show called "Frisky Dingo", on AdultSwim? I'm obsessed with it but have never met/spoken with another human being who has ever heard of it. I'd put a link to some clips from YouTube, but they're not really family friendly.

BTW...30 Rock is the most brilliant network TV sitcom ever. Better than Seinfeld and Cheers put together. (IMO)

These are the shows mentioned here I've never tried but will be attempting to track down today:

- Departures

- Firefly

- The Guild

- Brotherhood

- Generation Kill

- Primeval

- Whale Wars

Thanks for all the suggestions. Maybe I'll have some reviews to follow.

Edited by Fishnwire

If you like cars, Top Gear on BBC canada.

Hell my girlfriend couldn't care less about cars and still likes the show. Picture a bunch of 12-year olds running a television show about cars, only it is as awesome as you pictured it in your head. Have you ever wondered what would happen if you put a 225hp outboard on a Toyota pickup? How many camping trailers can a Volvo 240 jump?

If you can look up "Generation Kill". Awesome stuff.

Generation Kill is, um for adult audiences only. Band Of Brothers in Iraq without the sentimentality, lot's of little girls blown up, and a few of the actual Marines from the unit have cameo's. It's worth watching just for a few of monologues, which um I can't really repeat here.

Nobody's mentioned HBO's Rome yet so I'll chuck that one in there. Possibly my fav TV show of all time, a 2 season drama about the period of Roman history between Caesar coming to power, his assassination and the war between Marc Anthony & Octavian. Beautifully shot, it tries to stay fairly historically accurate, and also exceedingly brutal.

Battlestar Galactica is awesome, even if you're not a big sci-fi fan.

And for something lighter, and well fishing related, not alot of people have seen The Fishing Adventurer. Low-budget, light hearted show but fairly interesting, only a single season though.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA - The new series - four seasons of it --- I thought it was awesome. It all has to be watched in sequence, staring from the pilot, to make sense.

ROME - Season 1 and 2 (Ancient Rome) --- again, awesome.

LONESOME DOVE (Western) - 4 parts, six hours --- a great duster, stellar performances by Robert Duvall and Tommy-Lee Jones.

Whale Wars, awesome show.

I've seen two episodes so far and both have been so full of failure, it's laughable. I will watch it again because it's pretty entertaining but they really come off as a bunch of brainless hippies, aside from the captain.

Arrested Development I can't believe this show hasn't been mentioned yet.

Prison break was alright if you stick to only the first season.

That would've been one of my pics - been canned for a while (unfortunately), probably why I didn't think of it.

Another one better watched in sequence.

Re; Generation Kill - definitely "for adults only", but it's true to what actually took place. At least they didn't sugar coat it.

I've seen two episodes so far and both have been so full of failure, it's laughable. I will watch it again because it's pretty entertaining but they really come off as a bunch of brainless hippies, aside from the captain.

Prison break was alright if you stick to only the first season.

OK...I watched the first three Whale Wars...you're right about them coming across as "brainless hippies". I can't help but agree that those Japanese whaling boats aren't doing a lot of "research" though. I think they're definitely exploiting a legal loop-hole...but I guess that means they're not doing anything illegal. Why would anyone want to eat whale blubber anyway? Different strokes I guess.

Arrested Development was brilliant. I have them all on DVD and it seems I catch something new every time I watch that show. I hear they're making a movie. It'll probably suck.

What is "Southland"?

I watched the first season of Californication, it was good but I lost interest early on in the second season. I'm not sure why. Same thing with Dexter.

I'm downloading Generation Kill right now...It's coming in real slow though, I think its going to take a couple of days or more. I hope it's worth it.

Edited by Fishnwire

I will second Californication.... great show!!!

and the lesser known and horribly shot one season show... Lucky Louie... definitely not for the kids but some of the stuff they come up with in there... hilarious!!!!

I've seen all of Lucky Louie. It was awesome...I was hoping for more. I had totally fogot about that show. Good one, bullybass...you must like obscure shows too.

Edited by Fishnwire

Ya whale wars is entertaining. watching these people who lack the skills perform these stunts out on the water. There attempts at stopping the whalers are so pathetic I don't even know why they are even trying. I'm surprised no one got seriously hurt or killed in the last season, although there have been a few close calls. After some research upon watching the show, I found out the minke whale they are risking their lives to protect aren't even endangered.

Ya whale wars is entertaining. watching these people who lack the skills perform these stunts out on the water. There attempts at stopping the whalers are so pathetic I don't even know why they are even trying. I'm surprised no one got seriously hurt or killed in the last season, although there have been a few close calls. After some research upon watching the show, I found out the minke whale they are risking their lives to protect aren't even endangered.

I found myself somewhat fascinated that people could be so passionate about something. Their efforts are obviously a little misplaced...what with so many real problems facing humanity...but I couldn't help but think that if more people were moved to devote their lives to unselfish service of a (hopefully less stupid) cause they believed in, maybe we'd start to see positive change in this world.

As far as these particular hippie burnouts go, they're not doing any harm. They're endangering only themselves, and it's not like any of us would be negatively effected if they actually were able to disrupt the Japanese whaling industry. They're far from being my heros, but I don't look down on them with the kind of obvious distain a lot of people seem to harbor.

You are correct about menke whales not being "endangered", they are however listed as "threatened" by the Convention on Internation Trade of Endangered Species.

hahah weird... but I have all 10 seasons of "Friends" on DVD......

Ive gotten bit by the Big Brother bug here this season.... I think the key to that show if you have to watch it from the beginning....

Food network has a bunch of good ones aswell.... I like food... and tv.... good combo

If you can get HD.... Rush, Equater, Treasure, and there is one more I cant think of... but they have a BUNCH of good shows..... Mark Krupa in Hd is SWEET !

I pretty much dl all my tv shows. Here's a few:

It's always sunny in philadelphia (mentioned by several, very funny show)

Jericho (no longer runs, but a fantastic show)

Top Gear (also mentioned already, great show)

The I.T. Crowd (it's british, but man it's the funniest show I've seen, helps that I'm in I.T. as well, but it's definately worth checking out even if you're not in I.T.)

The Mentalist (not a bad show, might be worth you checking out)

Now I got stuff to dl with these other shows mentioned I haven't heard of, cool.

Food network has a bunch of good ones aswell.... I like food... and tv.... good combo

Top Chef is probably the best "reality" program out there......it's like Big Brother meets Hell's Kitchen.....only y'know, good :D

Then there's food & motorcycles, Feasting On Asphalt. Alton Brown from Good Eats gets a road crew together and ride from coast-coast and then up the Mississippi feasting on local, out of the way hole in the wall eateries. I liked the sequel going up the Mississippi best.

Long Way Round is another good one, mini-series following Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and an actor buddy riding motorcycles around the world. Followed by Long Way Down through Africa (which wasn't as good), and they're in the process of doing another sequel, Long Way Up through South America. Even if you're not a biker it's still pretty interesting watching two neophyte actors riding bikes through Mongolia & Siberia.