survival suit

BFSC Kevin

whats a good decent one without killing my wallet? i'll be using it on my boat during the colder months and for ice fishing. im looking at the mustang one, the slightly better one then the classic. any comments or review and your experience on any brand or model? hopefully i can find it somewhere local to toronto, like lebaron, BP or maybe even online shipping(eg ebay).

Edited by kevin

I got myself one of the top-o-the-line suits Mustang makes( Atlantic Class? ). Not sure the model but the one that you see around for $400 usually. Anyhoo, I can't say enough about how great it is. I used to own a Bouy O Boy and there is no comparison. The Mustang one-piece insulates so well, yet you have good movement in it. It's not as stiff as other suits I tried on.

Even the hood is insulated and the seal you get around your head and chin area will really hold in your body heat.

In the case of a survival suit, you get what you pay for and I think a little extra spent now to enjoy many cold days out in your boat and out on the ice is well worth it.

if you like to get down on your knees a lot when you ice fish, consider the Mustang integrity series with reinforced knee patches. I love mine and it's got a nice soft material for the parts of the suit that touch your face and the hood is great as well. Most of the suit is made of rip-stop material too. Try some on see what you like.

I read in OOD that Helly Hansen bought Buoy-O-boy and Nautilus too and for Spring 07 only the HH suits will be available 'although Nautilus might reappear in the fall'. Interesting.

Pick one large enough to be able to move around inside, with a high collar and a lined hood. Chest pockets are very handy (!@#!). Cinches at wrists and ankles are necessary, as are zipped cuffs at the boot. Neoprene rolls at wrist and collar are another nice touch. There should also be cinches at the thigh and waist.

This will roll roll you for about 350, but think about it. Use the suit 40 times, works out equal to a BigMac and fries each outing. Paid for.

I wouldn't buy one on line unless you have had a chance to try a few out and know exactly what style and size you want. Mine is a Buoy-O-Boy and it does everything I need, I picked it up at the sportsman or fishing show a few years ago on special for about $200.00.

I have a Mustang Atlantic class suit it is awesome had for 4 years wondered what I had done before.. anyway went to the cottage show and noticed a store called Europe Bound selling Bouy O boy suits for $ 99. a far cry away from the 300.00 + dollars I spent for the mustang. I bought one for my wife and she loves it so to be honest I think these companies have a regualtion to follow when it comes to these suits and if you see one on sale I would pick one up. By the way the company that makes Bouy o boy also makes Natulias suits.

Check out the spring fishing show you might get one on sale there

Good Luck

Ken

i bought a mustang atlantic class last year and love it way too much.

it is a high quality suit, although a bit more expensive than other brands IMO it's well worth it.

your best bet on price is a lebarons no tax sale - probably one on the same weekend as the sportsmen show.

I bought the mustang integrety it is a higher quality than a regular mustang.Shop around buy what you need not a price and you will be comfortable.

116324.JPG

118154.JPG

very warm

118152.JPG

All mustangs here.

Shop around you will see the differnent quality suits it took me a month to decide the problem was I could not find the maustang I wanted in my size in red or orange so I bought the yellow.There should be some bargains coming .There may be slim pickings for sizes.

Good Luck on your purchase and remember this suit may save your life one day.I paid $353.00 at Le Baron more that I wanted to pay but your life is worth every penny.

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

I also have a mustang and love it. Good advice about buying one or two sizes larges so you have room to move and layer up if needed.

The only thing I would change about my mustang is add some type of suspender system. The weight of the suit can be a BIT tough on the back.

I also have a mustang and love it. Good advice about buying one or two sizes larges so you have room to move and layer up if needed.

The only thing I would change about my mustang is add some type of suspender system. The weight of the suit can be a BIT tough on the back.

Helly Hanson has the the suspenders very nice suit I tried one on very warm lots of useful pockets but very heavy and bulky to move around when fishing.Mustang.MTP

I have to go with the helly (x Nautilus)you can probably still find the Nautilus pro series around helly still has them in inventory in Nova Scotia. find a helly dealer and ask them to bring onee in or go online ebay maybe Mustang is nice Pricy. suspenders are a definite bonus dont buy camo you will be hard to see in the water buy as brite as you can stand( not yellow youll look like big bird) as far as price goes HOW MUCH ARE YOU WORTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just one more thing if i were to go mustang it would be an atlantic class

just my 2 cents

Peter

Edited by BITEME

Shop around you will see the differnent quality suits it took me a month to decide the problem was I could not find the maustang I wanted in my size in red or orange so I bought the yellow.There should be some bargains coming .There may be slim pickings for sizes.

Good Luck on your purchase and remember this suit may save your life one day.I paid $353.00 at Le Baron more that I wanted to pay but your life is worth every penny.

MTP

sorry to not add anything usefull to the topic but,

i want your little guy's touque ;)

I got a Nautilus like Brian, I love it, money shouldn't be an issue, how much is your life worth...

they are really warm, reinforced, knees and bum, lots of pockets, suspenders built in...

i've never regretted spending the money.

Check Grimsby tackle, he carries them and he's got the best prices i've seen for them