Manitoulin Island Report

tonyb

Just got back from a great relaxing week on the beautiful manitoulin island. It has been too long since I was last there, and what a flashback of a trip as I used to spend summers there as a kid, and surprisingly not a lot has changed in the past 20 or so years!

We spent the week at Manitoulin Resort camping and after this experience I don't think I will be camping at Prov. Parks anymore. There is just no comparison to the quality of the sites, facilities and the family atmosphere you get at a private campground. One of the owners Myia remembered we had the big boat from when we booked and set us up with one of the larger docking areas which was greatly appreciated. I was worried about leaving all of my gear on the boat but she assured me there wasn't a worry at all and I had no problems.

I was really blown away at the service. She asked if we wanted firewood and we said yeah we'll start with a few bundles and go from there...much to my surprise they pulled up to our campsite with a Quad and a trailer full of wood...and a good mix of hardwood with some pine saw-offs from a mill probablym, and it was bone dry! completely opposite experience from the provincial parks. The other thing that impressed us was the cost of things like ice, it was about $1.50 cheaper there than in town at the beer store! just great to see them being fair and not gouging which they could easily do as you are about 20 mins from little current.

Unfortunately, the docking and launch area was pretty shallow for my boat and it was very windy pretty much the whole week which made it difficult to manouvre out of the marina area. However, I did manage a couple of quick outings and can report the Lake Trout fishing on Lake Manitou is silly...you could easily catch 100 + in a day if you wanted...I kid you not!

Here's some pics of the week

Some hiking and scenery shots...

IMG_0092Medium-1.jpg

IMG_0093Medium-2.jpg

IMG_0096Medium-2.jpg

Anyone know if this was edible?

IMG_0097Medium-2.jpg

IMG_0101Medium.jpg

What kind of flower this is?

IMG_0110Medium.jpg

IMG_0114Medium.jpg

IMG_0116Medium.jpg

IMG_0117Medium.jpg

After reeling in a dozen or so fish on my heavier salmon gear, I switched it up to light spinning gear. 9' Avid ML with 6lb test :thumbsup_anim:

IMG_0122Medium.jpg

A 'small' group of trout...there were times when they were so many it looked like a bait ball but they were all trout!

IMG_0119Medium.jpg

This was one of the bigger Lakers...funny thing happened actually. I was getting a lot of 1-3lb fish on the salmon tackle and then after switching to the lighter outfit I hook this fish and it is peeling drag and I couldn't budge it from bottom at first! I was thinking bad timing to hook a real monster, but it wasn't as big as it fought at first :)

IMG_0123Medium.jpg

Need to get a proper tri-pod for solo pics...lots of shaker lakers around though. Great eating size

IMG_0125Medium.jpg

This was the view most days...not exactly the best winds to be fishing in :huh:

IMG_0134Medium.jpg

Highlight of the trip was getting my grandpa out who lives on the island in Kagawong, he was blown away with all the gadgets and what not...he asked me if I was able to get the address and phone number of the fish that showed up on sonar. I think he had his best day trout fishing on the lake in all his years with me, that made my week!

IMG_0138Medium.jpg

Amanda with one on the light gear as well

IMG_0139Medium.jpg

Here's a couple of the smaller ones we kept for a fish fry, and a picture I am hoping to frame and send to grandpa for xmas this year :thumbsup_anim:

IMG_0141Medium.jpg

Now back to the grind and to flip the Salmon switch on...fishing the GOSD and upcoming tightlines shootout

IMG_0087Medium-1.jpg

The hot lure, that I first put down and didn't take off was a Michigan Stinger NBK spoon kept at 2-2.2mph at the rigger ;)

NBK-natural-born-killer.jpg

Until next time! I am already thinking about going back after Labour Day :clapping:

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Pretty close to Manitouwaning just off Hwy 6/Bidwell Rd.

We were fishing about halfway between Sandfield and Manitoulin Resort in the deeper water. 110 fow was the ticket for us although we did pick up fish at each of the sharp drop-offs like the one shown in the sonar picture, but it is too much work tracking bottom with the riggers on those steep drops ;)

I have been there few years ago.

Nice scenery. Clear water.

I did not have a boat at that time neither now.

But I have seen lakers caught from the shore.

A worm in a small hook, a big slip float, cast and forget. Let the float drif the worm far away into the lake.

When the float is gone, not visible anymore, reel in. The lakers will give you a nice fight.

Best time: early morning and evening.

Edited by Gogu

Great report, especially the part about getting your grandpa out.

I've wire-lined Manitou out of Sandfield with good success, But I've never tried downriggers.

The flower is a wood lily. Aboriginal people collected the bulbs for food.

Nice shots of the Niagara Escarpment.

You're right about Manitoulin not changing a whole lot over the years. Probably hard on the locals but it keeps the slow pace of the island.

Manitou & Kagawong has some great smallie action that nobody fishes for (including you apparently!), but its known for it's lakers. Manitou serves as a brood stock lake for Blue Jay Creek hatchery, which raises alot of the eggs for inland lake stocking.

And is it just me or does everybody else get the banana from Michigan Stinger website?

Heh he changed the picture to a different site, atleast I'm not going nuts.

Oh and Tony did up pick up some Hawberry jam? They sell the stuff everywhere, it's a berry that only grows on the island, tastes like a cross between a cranberry & strawberry. Tasty stuff, every September I go on a motorcycle ride up to Manitoulin to pick up some.....okay I use it as an excuse to on a motorcycle ride, but it's still tasty jam :D

You're right about Manitoulin not changing a whole lot over the years. Probably hard on the locals but it keeps the slow pace of the island.

Manitou & Kagawong has some great smallie action that nobody fishes for (including you apparently!), but its known for it's lakers. Manitou serves as a brood stock lake for Blue Jay Creek hatchery, which raises alot of the eggs for inland lake stocking.

And is it just me or does everybody else get the banana from Michigan Stinger website?

I don't understand your statement "hard on the locals"? and i hope manitoulin never changes, My farm has been in my family for over 150 years and hopefully forever, We Haweaters arn't slow Eh :P

Haweater Weekend is coming up! man I didn't realize how much I missed the island until visiting.

I concur cambo, I like that the island isn't rapidly changing. Here in Burlington...every other month there is a huge new high-density subdivision, wal-mart, home depot, etc, etc...unbelievable really. I was glad to see everything where it used to be and not super-sized!

Clof, I agree, the smallies are probably as much if not more infested on the island but the trip wasn't planned as a hardcore fishing week...more laid-back and spending time with the wife ;)

I only got out on 2 mornings all week if you can believe it, first trip out was to put together a gameplan for gramps who doesn't have great balance anymore in a boat, so trolling fit the bill perfectly. Rod would go off and either me or my wife would hand it to him while seated, it worked out perfect and was safe for him. :)

Tony

Haweater Weekend is coming up! man I didn't realize how much I missed the island until visiting.

I concur cambo, I like that the island isn't rapidly changing. Here in Burlington...every other month there is a huge new high-density subdivision, wal-mart, home depot, etc, etc...unbelievable really. I was glad to see everything where it used to be and not super-sized!

Clof, I agree, the smallies are probably as much if not more infested on the island but the trip wasn't planned as a hardcore fishing week...more laid-back and spending time with the wife ;)

I only got out on 2 mornings all week if you can believe it, first trip out was to put together a gameplan for gramps who doesn't have great balance anymore in a boat, so trolling fit the bill perfectly. Rod would go off and either me or my wife would hand it to him while seated, it worked out perfect and was safe for him. :)

Tony

Tony are you originally from the Island? Yup Haweater is a great time big dance in littel current. Last time my wife was pretty sick trying to keep up with everyone ended up paying 100 bucks to a taxi get home :lol: Hopefully I can make it this year