Out post fishing

doack

Anyone ever been stopped at a only cabin on a lake type fly in trip for alcohol, or general check? Just curious, we have been going up for 20 years, and never had a problem. Reading on another board a thread about how they are checking outposts much more frequently, and if they land, they will do their damnedest to find something to ticket.

Just curious, don't want lectures, or pissing matches, just curious if anyone has seen this happening more. We usually have a handful of beers out while fishing all day, but it sounds like you better not have an empty can or open beer or you will have big troubles. Just curious.

Had the MNR fly in a couple of years ago. 4 fish in the cabin (between 5 guys) that they wanted to see, no skin on the fish, $125 fine. As for the beers in the boat, the laws of the province would apply although I haven't heard of the OPP dropping in on these lakes. Not to say they wouldn't but perhaps they have bigger fish to fry so to speak.

Had the MNR fly in a couple of years ago. 4 fish in the cabin (between 5 guys) that they wanted to see, no skin on the fish, $125 fine. As for the beers in the boat, the laws of the province would apply although I haven't heard of the OPP dropping in on these lakes. Not to say they wouldn't but perhaps they have bigger fish to fry so to speak.

I thought it was only during transporting fish that you had to have a patch of skin on them???

You couldn't have told them they were for supper that night??

That sound a bit much to get a ticket for that...I'd have some choice words for them that's for sure.....

I wasn't sure if thats what he was asking...

But yes, getting caught with open beers in your boat is just as bad as drinking beers in the car on the drive to the cottage :P

So are you talking a one cabin only outpost fly in camp? I agree out on the water with other boaters around is a real bad thing, and I am not talking about be drunk off my ass. But at a true outpost camp, with only your group on it, you really look at having a couple of beers in the boat during your day as a horrible offense?

Again, not what I was looking for in info, just curious if guys have had them drop in and check out your boats, camps, and such looking for a ticket reason. This is what the thread on another board was about, and there were a lot of mixed messages on it.

Take care all, any responses on having them swoop in on your private camp for the week would be appreciated.

I have had them swoop in on me in winter fishing in Lake Superior Provincial Park.

You can generally see them coming, but I have heard they can cut the engine and come in pretty quiet. or sneak in over the trees.

For the guy that got busted for no skin in camp. I would have gone to court over that one.

Thats a load of crap.

For the guy that got busted for no skin in camp. I would have gone to court over that one.

Thats a load of crap.

That one surprised the hell out of me. Isn't your camp your home for the time you've rented it? I can see having to have patches of skin on fish that are being taken along at the end of the trip, but not this!

Wow... Sounds like some clowns from MNR there... Can they just go ahead and check your cabin for fish like that? No warrant needed?

Here's the first one I found without wasting much time on it.

Search and seizure without warrant

27 (1) A conservation officer, who has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that a vehicle, vessel or receptacle of any description has been used by, or is in the possession of, a person in violation of this Act or the regulations or any other enactment, if the offence is committed in a park or park reserve, may, without warrant, stop and search the vehicle, vessel or receptacle.

(2) A conservation officer may seize anything, including a vehicle or vessel, that the conservation officer believes on reasonable and probable grounds is evidence of an offence contrary to this Act or the regulations. R.S., c. 367, s. 27

They are supposed to have a warrant to search a building.. but most figure they haven't done anything wrong and just let them in as I figure was the case with fishnsled.

Here's the first one I found without wasting much time on it.

They are supposed to have a warrant to search a building.. but most figure they haven't done anything wrong and just let them in as I figure was the case with fishnsled.

Key words are "reasonable and probable grounds that an offence has been commited"

Thats why you don't invite them in for coffee.

They get comfy, chatting, asking how the fishing is. oh, can i see em. They didn't fly all the way in there to not get the gas paid for.

Confusing. First you said YES they can enter the cabin. Now you say they need a warrant.

Here's the situation I see developing if you refuse entry: The CO's call in the OPP with a warrant, on the grounds that they think you're hiding something. Neat way to ruin your holiday --- especially if you think you haven't done anything wrong.

Seems like the only way to keep some of these buggers off your back, even though you're doing more than what the regulations require, is keep a good sized patch of skin on every fillet or piece of fillet until it's ready to go into the pan or until you have it at home (your legal residence). Even better, leave the fillets intact and leave ALL the skin on. I can see that being a gooey mess with pike but not so bad for other fish.

They can go in your cabin, but they need to have reasonable grounds to believe an offense has been committed. Like the guys down the lake saying they saw you with 30 or 40 walleyes. Or they saw you carrying a heck of a stringer into camp.

Or if you invite em in