10 lb Rice Lake Bass

diggyj

It doesn't much matter how much it weighs. It's a nice bass. It could be that the lodge folks want it to be 10 lbs. It could be that when the dude got home he told his wife and neighbours that he caught a 10lb fish....we don't know, nor do I care. I remember my first muskie. I called it a 42 incher and that thing was probably not 37". It wasn't like I was lying...I was just so excited over my first muskie. Let the dude be and let him have his 15 minutes.

To embellish and say 7.. maybe 8... MAYBE would be a fish story.

To catch a 4-5lb bass and tell the world it's TEN? That's just a little too much. And I really don't think it's the first bass the guy's ever caught.

Besides, if dude wants to tell a story like that, he better learn some better camera tactics!

Edited by Rich

A lot of people have a funny idea of just how much individual fish weigh. There are plenty of guys who refuse to believe that 18 inch smallie they caught was an oz less than 5 lbs...or think a 30 inch pike is around 14 lbs. A good quality digital scale is usually the only thing that prevents some of us from accidental exaggeration.

Is this picture online somewhere? it looks like someone i know of the same name, but i can't tell from that picture, and he's just the type to exagerate like that.

Okay so the dude is way off on the weight, at least he didn't mistake it for a Muskie!!!

Edited by scuro2

I caught one about that size today and the boneless fillets alone weighed 10 lbs...

:angel: :angel:

LOL.....

That fish is a max. of 5.

This thread brings back memories of the 6 pound average thread.....ha ha.

It doesn't much matter how much it weighs. It's a nice bass. It could be that the lodge folks want it to be 10 lbs. It could be that when the dude got home he told his wife and neighbours that he caught a 10lb fish....we don't know, nor do I care. I remember my first muskie. I called it a 42 incher and that thing was probably not 37". It wasn't like I was lying...I was just so excited over my first muskie. Let the dude be and let him have his 15 minutes.

:clapping::thumbsup_anim:

nah...not a 10lb'er...just a reporter who doesn't know any better passing on what he/she thought they heard... :rolleyes: At least the poor guy didn't have the misfortune of being an OFC member and posting it, claiming himself that it's 10 lbs. :lol:

Edited by johnnyb

Charles, we ain't talkin catfish :P BTW, how are you?

I hear tons of stories, and i do remember that 6 lb average story :lol:

The best is a guy in my bass club swears he used to catch 10 - 14 lb buckets many years ago. What can you say to the guy, other than, i hope this day ends soon(as he is my partner for the day), i can't listen to too much bull.... i just say that's nice, good luck, see ya... :D

BTW, probably 5-6 lbs on this pictured fish in my opinion,

John

I would guess 6 to 6.5... 7 tops. Hard to guess from a picture, camera angles can really distort the size of a fish. The reasons for any exaggeration are obvious... publicity for the lodge... his pic in the paper... VERY nice bass regardless!

Remember this old saying:

Early to bed

Early to rise

Fish like hell

And make up lies!

The guy with the "ten-pounder" didn't really do it, but you gotta love how most people hold their fish closer to the camera to make it look bigger. It's gotten so that if someone takes an honest pose their fish looks puny!